Watch advice

What's Hot

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    I bought one of these about 3 years ago:

https://www.watchshop.com/mens-seiko-5-automatic-watch-snxs77-p99934880.html

Still going nicely, although it loses about 1 minute per week.  It's a very nice watch.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    edited April 2019
    Nitefly said:

Still going nicely, although it loses about 1 minute per week.  It's a very nice watch.

Those Seiko 5s are brilliant value. I got an SNZF about 5 years ago and while it’s now my “beater” watch it’s still brilliant. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Nitefly said:

Those Seiko 5s are brilliant value. I got an SNZF about 5 years ago and while it’s now my “beater” watch it’s still brilliant. 
    My everyday watch is a Seiko SKX007 mainly because it's pretty much indestructible. Had mine for going on 10 years now.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    Speaking of Seiko automatics... anybody else heard that Yorkshire Watches has closed down. They were great, wide range of stuff and good prices.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    I've got a Seiko Titanium Kinetic. Self-charging with quartz accuracy and classic styling. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2427
    edited April 2019
    I've just ordered a Seiko 5 in navy on a nato strap on the strength of this thread. I was tempted by the Swatch but while they look lovely I've seen some fairly mixed reviews about the actual timekeeping. Who knows though, they do a lovely stainless steel case on brown strap that looks very smart and could yet tempt me

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    I've got 2 x Hamilton watches - Like them - Like the simplicity of how they look - But the straps are crap - Not had 2 years out of a strap yet and that is alternating between 2 watches - So in reality the strap lasts a year
    I’ve got a mechanical Khaki Field. Mine’s 5 years old and the strap is still holding out ok, although it does have a big crease line where the buckle has bitten into the leather over time. You must be pretty hard on your watch straps.  ;) I like Hamiltons too, nice and simple but classy looking, I might get a Jazzmaster at some point. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

Thanks Fretboard.  I never used to understand why people would want to spend loads on a watch, but now find myself looking at understated but reassuringly expensive Swiss automatic watches.  Something about them harks back to a bygone age and I want a slice of it.

I have developed WAS B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Have a look at a Mondaine automatic, not a quartz. You might like them. Classic, simple, minimalist, very cool IMO. Now that they make an auto, certainly brings it up a level. Very good value, and Swiss made.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Yo can also get some neat new Timexes believe it or not. Something very retro about a Timex too. If you are prepared to look at second hand, you might get something interesting in your budget. Oris might fall into that price, they aren't bad at all.
  • I just read this and it helped me understand. I've wanted an automatic for a while, but I never understood the hideous (yes, I truly find most expensive watches, especially huge seasmasters and the like, ugly) contraptions people pay a lot of money for until now - it's a magnificent feat of engineering and ingenuity  

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/quartz-vs-automatic

I like very plain, sleek and small watches so most of the expensive world it out to me, but those Mondaine watches are nice! 
    Does this help at all? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    So quick update. I actually ordered a Nite as I liked the clean look and the discount made it £200, thought I’d save some cash. It arrived today and looks nice enough but on the wrist just looks a bit cheap, you wouldn’t be surprised if someone said it was £100 to be honest, so it’s going back.

Another lesson, as if it were needed, that cheaping out rarely works.

So a bit of a change the other way, and a bit of a change of style, and now liking this Hamilton Auto. Is it still smart enough for everyday work wear do you think?

https://i.imgur.com/ZHiyXBX.png

That's a bit casual for me, I think. Could work better for smart on the steel bracelet?

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    For £400 I’d employ someone to tell me the time :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • https://enoksenwatches.com/

I have not tried these as yet but have friends who have and consider them to be great value for automatic.

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    alexh said:
    Love these. My unobtainable grail watch is a Rolex 1016 so I've been humming and hawing about a 36mm Smiths Everest for a while, but hoping for a Mk2 version (improved hands, nicer bracelet and clasp)... 
  • alexhalexh Frets: 58
    edited April 2019
    Yes. There areice watches. I have the original PRS 29a with black dial but the whitewhite one is very tempting.

KKJale said:
    alexh said:
    Love these. My unobtainable grail watch is a Rolex 1016 so I've been humming and hawing about a 36mm Smiths Everest for a while, but hoping for a Mk2 version (improved hands, nicer bracelet and clasp)... 
    I'd happily take the 40mm version as-is and chuck a leather strap on it. Lovely!