Fitting a 12" speaker to a 15" baffle

What's Hot
AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
edited April 2019 in Amps
Hi all,

Have got a combo with a 15 inch speaker inside. Any idea how I could fit a 12 inch speaker?   The baffle fits a 15 inch speaker.

I can't remove the baffle and get another cut because it has the speaker cloth firmly attached the baffle.

In the states Weber sell a rebaffler kit but can't see these in the uk.
https://www.tedweber.com/rebaffler

Thx!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    edited April 2019
    Easiest/cheapest way is make a new baffle and buy new grill cloth for it or move the cloth to the new one if you can  I would think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3152
    tFB Trader
    Modulus might be able to mnfr a converter for you 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Is the speaker front or rear mounted? If you mount the speaker from the rear and if you have a jigsaw then you could do this: buy a piece of plywood big enough to cover the existing hole, saw out a circular hole the right size for your 12" speaker, screw the new piece to the existing baffle and then mount your 12" speaker onto the new baffle you have made. Voila!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Whistler said:
    Is the speaker front or rear mounted? If you mount the speaker from the rear and if you have a jigsaw then you could do this: buy a piece of plywood big enough to cover the existing hole, saw out a circular hole the right size for your 12" speaker, screw the new piece to the existing baffle and then mount your 12" speaker onto the new baffle you have made. Voila!
    Yes, done this a few times to fit new speakers in radios, grams and gitamps. Don't forget to spray the new baffle black to stop it showing through the fret, including the T nuts.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    munckee said:
    Easiest/cheapest way is make a new baffle and buy new grill cloth for it or move the cloth to the new one if you can  I would think.
    By far the easiest and cheapest way is to make a plywood spacer ring as Whistler and Dave said.

I would do it the other way round and mount the spacer to the speaker first though - which just needs nuts and bolts, not T-nuts - then attach the whole thing to the baffle exactly as if it's a 15" speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Either works but I like your logic, ICBM.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Hey guys, thanks all for the tips. Much appreciated. 

But I'm not 100% sure I'm going to keep the amp. I just wanted to try the speaker without modding the amp. I think I'm gonna hold off on this one.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2428
    AndyJP said:
    Hey guys, thanks all for the tips. Much appreciated. 

But I'm not 100% sure I'm going to keep the amp. I just wanted to try the speaker without modding the amp. I think I'm gonna hold off on this one.
    If you did it the way @ICBM suggested you wouldn't be 'modding' your amp, i.e. there wouldn't be any change that showed if you wanted to reinstall the 15" speaker.

Just use the 15" speaker as a template to mark out the diameter and existing fixing positions on a piece of plywood (1/2" ply should do). Then cut the hole for the new 12" speaker so you have a plywood donut.

Fix the new 12" speaker to the new donut baffle then secure the new baffle with the existing speaker mounting bolts. All as ICBM advised. It means you can swap between 12" and 15" speaker quickly at any time by undoing the connecting cable and the existing fixing bolts. Eezy peezy.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    I had a Peavey 115 combo many years ago.  There is 'something' in the sound of a 15" speaker, my Tele never sounded as good as when played through that amp.  The amp was extremely heavy and difficult to move though.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I did this to a Victoria Regal and found this in Germany
    https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Parts-for-Cabs/Misc-Parts/TT-Converter-15-to-12::8524.html

In the end went with a new baffle and it is just fantastic now.  
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2428
    Rocker said:
    I had a Peavey 115 combo many years ago.  There is 'something' in the sound of a 15" speaker, my Tele never sounded as good as when played through that amp.  The amp was extremely heavy and difficult to move though.
    This /\ /\

For a couple of years in the 80s I used a LAB Series L9 with 15" speaker. A Tele sounded fantastic through it. The 15" really moved some air and added punch. I went from that to a 2 x 12 amp but selling the L9 was a mistake. I still have a yearning for a 15" Neo speaker in a cab with separate head to overcome the weight issue.
    edited April 2019
    Hey guys,

I returned the 12 inch speaker. Gonna stick with the celestion fullback 15 inch for now.

The amp is a Supro Thunderbolt plus. The amp with this speaker is a clean machine. I've picked up a second hand boss ge7 eq pedal to try with it.

A 15 inch speaker is defo a much different experience to a 12. It kicks some serious ass.
    Hey guys,

I'm gonna try and build a new baffle for the 12 inch speaker. I reordered lol.

Plan is get the baffle cut and get some new grill cloth. So.... Any idea where I could get some supro style grill cloth?!

AndyJP said:

I'm gonna try and build a new baffle for the 12 inch speaker. I reordered lol.

Plan is get the baffle cut and get some new grill cloth. So.... Any idea where I could get some supro style grill cloth?!
    Really, don't. A mounting ring is far easier and cheaper.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cheers for the tips guys.    Will have a look into the donut!
    The speaker is rear mounted.

So I'd get a piece of plywood big enough to cover the 15" speaker. Cut out the hole for the 12".
    Then connect the speaker to the plywood. Then connect the plywood to the cab enclosure?
    AndyJP said:

So I'd get a piece of plywood big enough to cover the 15" speaker. Cut out the hole for the 12".
    Then connect the speaker to the plywood. Then connect the plywood to the cab enclosure?
    Yes, exactly. All you need is a piece of ply - I would use about 6-8mm (1/4"-5/16") - four nuts and bolts (M5 should be ideal, preferably with shakeproof washers), and probably some black paint.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    I can make you a mounting ring/donut if you need one, drop me a PM

ICBM idea to mount the speaker to the ring and then to mount it in the amp is the best way forward