My Thin Lizzy Favourite.. Freedom Song

equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
edited April 2019 in Music
After all these year, I remember buying 'Fighting' back in 1975 in my last year of secondry school.  The whole album is just a classic but 'The Freedom Song' was in my mind the best track on the album and is still my favourite Lizzy track of them all.
The guitar play is just jaw dropping and.. Oh Lord. that solo is just stunning.. perfect note choice and phrasing.. just a masterclass.

My biggest regret is never having seen them play live.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited April 2019
    Feck... and how cool is THIS!

"Don't Believe A Word".. and Brian Robertson is playing a bloody Travis Bean TB1000A!  no less..
    There is a God above!

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    equalsql said:
    After all these year, I remember buying 'Fighting' back in 1975 in my last year of secondry school.  The whole album is just a classic but 'The Freedom Song' was in my mind the best track on the album and is still my favourite Lizzy track of them all.
    The guitar play is just jaw dropping and.. Oh Lord. that solo is just stunning.. perfect note choice and phrasing.. just a masterclass.
    It's a brilliant album that's often overlooked because it lives in the shadow of Jailbreak. For me, Fighting is a better showcase of Lizzy's dual guitar sound than Jailbreak - some of the harmonies are sublime.

The 'Live at the National Stadium Dublin' concert was filmed in 1975 and, from memory, the guitar harmonies weren't quite as tight as they'd become the following year. I think many guitarists underestimate the degree to which Gorham and Robertson worked on that twin-guitar sound, even going so far as to develop complementary vibrato techniques.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    edited April 2019
    Brize said:
     I think many guitarists underestimate the degree to which Gorham and Robertson worked on that twin-guitar sound, even going so far as to develop complementary vibrato techniques.
    Agree.  IMO, that particular aesthetic crops up in influence in bands some might overlook, eg Fucking Champs, Baroness and so on. 

From about 3.25 onwards, IMO you can hear the Lizzy in the solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS5osAdTnm0
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited April 2019
    @equalsql - I haven't listened to 'Freedom Song' for a while and that sounds like Scott Gorham on the solo.
    As to 'Don't believe a word', for me, I think that's one of the finest wah solos and BR was a fantastic exponent of that pedal. Only last month, I nabbed a Coloursound Wah Wah and that particular wah sound is in there!

For me, 'Live & Dangerous' taught me how to play guitar and I was lucky to see them on the Renegade Tour with Snowy White and on the Thunder & Lightning Tour with John Sykes, but I would've loved to have seen the classic line-up with Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham, even the next one with Gary Moore would've been good.

There's too many favourite TL songs but I'll go with the Live & Dangerous version of 'Still in love with you' for those 2 fabulous solos. Incidentally, this is Gary Moore's version of it on a B side -