Audax speakers anyone?

What's Hot
bugilemanbugileman Frets: 55
Hi, I have two British made amps with Audax vintage speakers. They are both original with the amp. Anyone heard of them, marked with made in France. 

Sound really good...just 0 info on the net....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bugilemanbugileman Frets: 55
    From a little research they are now solely a HiFi/digital company. No longer making guitar speakers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    What are the amps? I seem to remember seeing those speakers a while ago...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    As far as I remember Audax mainly produced audio drivers and tweeters for HiFi use and were a very popular mid market kind of product, they are found in a lot of loudspeaker designs in the 70s/80s/90s. I've never actually seen any in a guitar amp, but they did produce some full range drivers in the 60s that may have found their way into guitar amps, they were a sort of cream colour, with a slotted frame (a bit like Oxfords), about 10 inch I think. As IC said, it would be interesting to see a few pics of your amps.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The amps that I have with them in are a custom sound 15 watt, (my other custom sound 30 watt has a Fane) and my Triumph Leo. The Triumph Leo had eliptical speakers, but they also produced some with Audax too. They are original as I've seen others with them in. They have a celestion quality about them and very good.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Yes, I’ve seen Leos with round speakers too, I think 10”. That must be it - although I thought it was something more recent. If the one in the Custom Sound is original that could be as late as early 80s, which would be more like what I remember.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Yes, I’ve seen Leos with round speakers too, I think 10”. That must be it - although I thought it was something more recent. If the one in the Custom Sound is original that could be as late as early 80s, which would be more like what I remember.
    Yes your right about early 80's. I've been doing quite a bit of research on custom sound and it's actually very interesting. There were at least four separate facilities producing custom sound amp's throughout the late 70s into the late 80s. The Colts being the last in the line of custom sound amp's. The early 80's amps similar in looks to the session amps are really good. I had mine repaired and the amp tech said they were very well made and used top notch components in the day. 
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    I used to design speakers with a view of going into business.

Didn't happen but we designed our speakers using Audax units.

They were good quality.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I used to design speakers with a view of going into business.

Didn't happen but we designed our speakers using Audax units.

They were good quality.
    That's good to know, yes they are certainly good quality and strange how they never went into amp production?