Not quite a NAD

What's Hot
After returning a Marshall Astoria Custom and strongly flirting with the idea of winding up with something brownface...a Marshall 1974X arrived this morning.

Weight much more manageable for the grab/go plan. Volume likely about right for gigging (apparently more efficient speaker(s) is the way to go if not) and sound is definitely what I'm looking for. Job done right?

Unfortunately though...it's got a rather strange buzz on channel one. Kinda like a petrol motor spluttering. Makes the sound so long as something is in either of the inputs for the channel...even if volume is rolled to 0 on the guitar (and I tried a couple and different cables to be sure). The buzz isn't there on channel 2 either. Factory boxed still, so obviously snuck out past QC or something got upset during it's ride with Postman Pat I guess.

Gonna be a long few days waiting for the process of it getting collected and replacement arriving.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Try swapping the first two preamp valves and see if it stops.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Try swapping the first two preamp valves and see if it stops.

Already had a go at swapping V1 and V3 on advice of a wiser man than myself (V1 is channel 1, V3 channel 2, V2 is phase splitter)

Sadly nothing changed - channel 1 kept it's buzz, channel 2 remained buzz free - so concluded can't be the preamp valve serving the channel
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    In that case it sounds like probably some sort of ground connection problem on the jacks for channel 1.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Possibly - it hit the level of more than I can troubleshoot/fix anyway. If it was an older amp it'd be off to get fiddled about with a bit more by a tech, but warranties being what they are etc vendor just said box it back up and we'll get a new one over direct from Marshall as soon as it's back with us.
  • DPD supposed to be collecting today...some hassle with work, but they don't collect weekends. Ok, fine...

Saw van pull in a good few doors down street, thought excellent - start hauling the amp, I'll be next.

Nope...van sodded off, 2 minutes later and text comes through with a sorry we missed you, which alternative day would you like to waste.

Piss well and truly boiled...classic delivery driver probably not fancying a heavy box. FFS.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Wow, why are we not protected from these swearwords by the law, why is this garbage behaviour allowed to happen over and over?
  • Update anyway - replacement should be coming today after DPD collected on Tuesday.

Ended up popping the video of initial fault onto YouTube so may as well share that:

https://youtu.be/-TpJOSEohXA
  • New amp had the same, managed to figure out what was going on though - turns out channel one doesn't like my BT Home Hub.

Apparently resistors on the v1 grid is a shout ( https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/brand-new-marshall-1974x-picking-up-radio-stations.1596774/ ) ...any wisdom on this route @ICBM ? My initial thoughts are live with it and get a tech to do that fix or something along those lines down the line if it becomes an issue outside home.

Obviously caveat is living with a known issue is only when you're happy with everything else (aka don't try this at home kids)...I've not given this one a full on crank yet, but was very pleased with the tone from testing the last one that way and the boxes are solidly ticked on weight, volume etc to know the amp as a whole should be a keeper.
  • The good news as well - I’ve moved the amp into the attic room, some 2 floors above the router as opposed to being in the room next door. No interference at that distance so I’m hopeful to dodge any need for modding.

Amp got turned up with my telecaster this time - gorgeous tones. So that’s both my tele and Les Paul loving this amp. Seriously tempted to raise/save a few pennies for a decent attenuator and get even more use than grab and go ie not just at home when neighbours are definitely out. Will ride out the honeymoon period first to make sure, but I’ve never heard my tele sound so good. Must be the EL84s since the last time I was really happy with the tele tone it was through a vox (which sadly didn’t inspire much with strat or Les Paul)
  • LonewolffLonewolff Frets: 67
    After returning a Marshall Astoria Custom 
    Hi @HandwrittenHero I’ve been thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these amps. I was wondering what didn’t you like about it or what made you return it?
  • I was aiming to use it as a grab and go, probably gig it down the line but mainly take to jams. Unfortunately 60lbs is pretty heavy and when not in use it needs to live up in the attic room - so 2 flights of stairs, second of which is kinda tricky. A 40lb amp I can navigate that and can carry the amp in one hand and guitar in the other to/from a car.

It wasn’t a bad amp by any means - plenty of EQ options and decent sound, for the price etc it’s a really good deal -  but it just didn’t quite wow me enough to make me start thinking how to work around weight and volume concerns (it’s seriously loud for 30w). Obviously tone is quite subjective so it’s not that I wouldn’t recommend the amp...it’s well worth trying depending on what you’re buying the amp to do.
  • LonewolffLonewolff Frets: 67
    Ah cheers for that @HandwrittenHero ;