Quilter amps... opinions?

What's Hot
GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
There seems to be a lot of hype around these, I'm interested to hear opinions of those who've used them. I love the idea of a tiny amp. Why should bassists have all the fun?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Sounds like a dodgy mattress supplier  :o
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I bought the 101 mini head to use as a backup  amp , a second amp for stereo or wet/ dry setup or to use as a power amp for a Fractal AX8 into a guitar cab. It was a toss up between the Quilter or a Seymour Duncan Powerstage but the Quilter won for greater flexibility,  no fan and less cost. Oh, and it sounds good too.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    I’ve had a pro block for a few years now.  I use it for rehearsals, plug n play gigs , small stages , and as a backup.  I think it’s excellent for those purposes.  

It takes pedals brilliantly, has a decent usable sound and is reliable. 

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited April 2019
    I have the Micropro Mach 2 HD.  I'd rank it high among my best ever gear purchases.

Being honest the biggest appeal is the (lack of) weight.  A grab'n'go that's loud enough for most reasonable purposes and weighs 21lbs.

Having said that, I think it sounds great. I use it as a clean pedal platform.  Very nice Fendery cleans and takes pedals beautifully. 

As far as amps go I'm a "find something that works and stick with it" guy - I don't have the compulsion to keep buying and selling for fear there's something out there that sounds 2% better.  So my opinion maybe carries less weight than the guy who's tried everything on the market before finding his unicorn.

Having said that I do have Musicman and Rivera combos but since I bought it only the Quilter gets gigged.  The others can't give me anything that justifies lugging the extra weight.  If it got stolen I'd definitely buy another Quilter.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited April 2019
    I've got the Quilter Microblock as backup amp for gigs. 
    On that:  it powers a 2x12 easily loud enough so ticks that box no problem.  Insane for something that small and lightweight.
    Sound/ Tone is no problem either but I basically use pedals for everything so all I need is a make-louder-box.  My main gigging amp is SS anyway. 
    The Quilter is not harsh -- that was going to be my only concern as I've had SS which were. 
    If my Orange CR 120 head were to die I'd seriously consider either another one of those or a Quilter 101 or above (EDIT: @Blueingreen the Mach2 looks lovely and would definitely fit the bill beautifully I'm sure). 
    Tbh the microblock would actually be enough but I haven't quite got my head around plugging into an amp the size of a pedal!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Also have a look at the DV Mark Micro 50 and 250 heads. I've used one as my main amp for the last couple of years and as a power amp for my modelling rig.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    Yeah, a friend has the 50. I didn't rate the drive channel, but the clean was decent. Dean Brown likes his ..
    I'm confused by the many 'block' options. 
    I have the Micropro Mach 2 HD.  I'd rank it high among my best ever gear purchases.

Being honest the biggest appeal is the (lack of) weight.  A grab'n'go that's loud enough for most reasonable purposes and weighs 21lbs.

Having said that, I think it sounds great. I use it as a clean pedal platform.  Very nice Fendery cleans and takes pedals beautifully. 

As far as amps go I'm a "find something that works and stick with it" guy - I don't have the compulsion to keep buying and selling for fear there's something out there that sounds 2% better.  So my opinion maybe carries less weight than the guy who's tried everything on the market before finding his unicorn.

Having said that I do have Musicman and Rivera combos but since I bought it only the Quilter gets gigged.  The others can't give me anything that justifies lugging the extra weight.  If it got stolen I'd definitely buy another Quilter.
    Yes, I started using a Blues Cube instead of a Traynor or a Carr for precisely this reason. The bigger the band, the less difference it makes and it takes pedals like a champ.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Love my Tone Block 201. I don't think I've ever put it up to 200w as it can get really goddamn loud.

Only negative thing I can say about the Quilter (well this one specifically) is you'll most probably need an EQ pedal.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    Grunfeld said:
    I've got the Quilter Microblock as backup amp for gigs. 
    On that:  it powers a 2x12 easily loud enough so ticks that box no problem.  Insane for something that small and lightweight.
    Sound/ Tone is no problem either but I basically use pedals for everything so all I need is a make-louder-box.  My main gigging amp is SS anyway. 
    The Quilter is not harsh -- that was going to be my only concern as I've had SS which were. 
    If my Orange CR 120 head were to die I'd seriously consider either another one of those or a Quilter 101 or above (EDIT: @Blueingreen the Mach2 looks lovely and would definitely fit the bill beautifully I'm sure). 
    Tbh the microblock would actually be enough but I haven't quite got my head around plugging into an amp the size of a pedal!
    The only slight negative with the Mach 2 is that in using it as a pedal platform I'm not making use of some of the features that make it cost more than the less expensive Quilters. 

Having said that none of the other options gives you such lightweight solution in an all-in-one package unless you go for a smaller speaker and I do want that 12" speaker.  And it's still cheap compared to many valve or modelling options. So I'm not complaining really.
    Dopesick said:
    Love my Tone Block 201. I don't think I've ever put it up to 200w as it can get really goddamn loud.

Only negative thing I can say about the Quilter (well this one specifically) is you'll most probably need an EQ pedal.

The other thing I personally would look for in a Quilter is conventional bass/tmid/treble EQ controls rather than the Tri Q control that is all that's available on some models.  I'm not saying the Tri Q control wouldn't work for some people, possibly even for me, but I feel safer with the more orthodox controls.  I don't think you need an EQ pedal with the Mach 2.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    @Blueingreen they have the BassMidTreb EQ controls on the OD200 but for some reason not on the TB201. Might just get an MXR EQ and stick it through the FX loop.