Clear coat spray

Any cheaper recommendations on what to use for a clear coat?
Gloss or matte. Each product looks much the same
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Hi mate

Manchester Guitar techs clear nitro is the best I’ve used, Steve is an active member here as well.

cheers

TC
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Whats the colour/base paint type? If 'car' cans I'd stick with the same type for clear. If nitro colour, use nitro clear lacquer.
    That said you can mix & match paint types but it is quite easy to get into a mess doing it whether immediately or down the line.
  • Corvus said:
    Whats the colour/base paint type? If 'car' cans I'd stick with the same type for clear. If nitro colour, use nitro clear lacquer.
    That said you can mix & match paint types but it is quite easy to get into a mess doing it whether immediately or down the line.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm using grain filler on the body then some crimson guitar blue and black paint. I thought of oiling it before clear nitro if that's doable 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Ah right, if it was me I'd go stain or paint/lacquer all the way to be sure it's compatible & sticks well. But I've seen posts here & there about oil + lacquer so it must work as such, though I've not tried it nor really sure what benefit there is to it. The final sheen is down to the lacquer, and that's what you're touching, so the oil seems redundant - but I might well be missing some reason people do it.

• You make solid points. Il go stain then clear coat on body and just oil neck, as I don't like the 'stickyness' that lacquer gives