Anyone bought one of these Morris Amps tweed combos off Reverb?

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6690

These things.

https://reverb.com/item/9624628-tweed-20-20-watt-hand-wired-all-valve-classic-combo-amplifier

Any good? Decent for the money? A speaker upgrade away from being good? 

Total waste of cash?

Any thoughts? 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12344
    Hi mate have a look at tube tone engineering. They do a hand made in the uk tweed deluxe clone for 800 with a powercaler that I've often thought about. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12344
    And I'm not surprised you are looking for a smaller combo!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Hmm the tube tone website seems to be down
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    The spec looks good, and there’s no reason to think they won’t be well-made, going by other Chinese hand-wired amps. It would be nice to see inside though.

The V30 wouldn’t be my choice for it, but that’s purely for tone preference not quality.

It’s something of a surprise to see it correctly described as Class AB too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6690
    munckee said:
    And I'm not surprised you are looking for a smaller combo!

Yeah that Marshall bad boy is about 25kg. 

I'm pretty sure it was louder than the 100w Plexi we played through in the recording room too!

Will look into tube tone. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    ICBM said:
    The spec looks good, and there’s no reason to think they won’t be well-made, going by other Chinese hand-wired amps. It would be nice to see inside though.

The V30 wouldn’t be my choice for it, but that’s purely for tone preference not quality.

It’s something of a surprise to see it correctly described as Class AB too!
    At the price I think a speaker swap would still be good value. 

Hmmm, might take the plunge once I've sold my current amp, unless I get swap for something sexy. 

• TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    They have their demo models on Ebay. I've just bought the tweed 20. Put in a bid of £450 and accepted instantly. It should arrive at the start of next week. https://ebay.co.uk/usr/morrisguitaramplifiers
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cool report back. 

Arrived yesterday but unfortunately UPS have done a wrecking ball job on it. Someone must have dropped it so hard the the vintage 30 has ripped itself out of the cabinet and trashed some valves on the way.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/7EqrfypaD2rQ7MSw5
    I rang morrisamps and spoke to Stephen Morris himself who was a very nice guy. He offered me an immediate refund or to sort out a return. I still want the amp so he is going to send another.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    @Teacherphil ; - yeah, but what does it sound like??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    @Teacherphil ; - yeah, but what does it sound like??
    Brash and glassy?
    Wow that is some relic job. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4136
    Wood seems up for the job, though I suspect with a chunky old speaker like that they should have nut and bolted right through wood baffle for strength.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Arrived yesterday but unfortunately UPS have done a wrecking ball job on it. Someone must have dropped it so hard the the vintage 30 has ripped itself out of the cabinet and trashed some valves on the way.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/7EqrfypaD2rQ7MSw5
    I rang morrisamps and spoke to Stephen Morris himself who was a very nice guy. He offered me an immediate refund or to sort out a return. I still want the amp so he is going to send another.
    I've seen UPS do worse, but not by very much
    So the amp arrived back today with a new cabinet, new valve sockets and a fresh set of Watford JJ valves. The speaker is now bolted on and I've had a bit of a blast with my SG classic and firebird. It's pure unadulterated Neil Young. Love it. I still haven't figured out the full ins and outs of all the inputs but I'll do a bit of reading then have another couple of hours on it tonight. The speaker sounds great, a really good match with this amp IMHO. I've tried (and failed) to post pics so here's the link.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/VqHrEvETASq4EXfEA

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I missed this before, but that is exactly why speakers should always be fitted with bolts and T-nuts, not woodscrews.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MattPMattP Frets: 252
    So the amp arrived back today with a new cabinet, new valve sockets and a fresh set of Watford JJ valves. The speaker is now bolted on and I've had a bit of a blast with my SG classic and firebird. It's pure unadulterated Neil Young. Love it. I still haven't figured out the full ins and outs of all the inputs but I'll do a bit of reading then have another couple of hours on it tonight. The speaker sounds great, a really good match with this amp IMHO. I've tried (and failed) to post pics so here's the link.

Good to see it all worked out in the end!
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    edited June 2019

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/148809/gartone-bluesman-owners-come-forth#latest  Everything regarding inputs and controls are in this thread. 
  • Picked up one today for a very good price i think,(less than half the cheapest kit i could find) interested to know peoples thoughts on the speaker, wiring looks tidy enough though

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Help needed from forum amp gurus
    Received the Morris amp today, but there seems to be an issue, the volume is very low on both channels regardless of the level set on either channel?
    This is in both channels and regardless of the level set on the unused channel (im aware of the unused channels effect on the used channel)
    I cannot get it louder than say my TV at a normal level? before it goes back is there something obvious i should check?