Numpty Phone/Network Question?

BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
Any help with this please?

I bought an iphone 4s from Apple Store a couple of years back and went on a Sim Only from "3" Network, so I want to change network because the 3 signal is testing my patience too many times in my work area. Anyway, I found out today that my iphone is locked. I went into O2 shop and she tested whether it was locked by inserting one of their Sims and it was.

Why is my iphone locked to 3 Network? I was told to back it up to itunes and then reset the phone, but it still doesn't answer why it is locked, the guy in the 3 store couldn't understand why either as I bought my phone seperate and he told me they wouldn't have locked it when I took out the original contract.

Seeing as neither the O2 or 3 Shops could explain it, I'll now have to ring Apple store as I am curious to know why.

Could anyone here enlighten me. Before buying this iphone I had always been on P.A.Y.G so I'm not used to chopping and changing.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9577
    An unlocked iPhone will lock to the network of the first sim you put in it. I don't know why or how you'd get around it (apart from selling the phone and buying one that's useable on your preferred network).
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Thanks @thermionic

I'm quite flabbergasted that a mechanism such as that should ever exist in a phone. A default mechanism that takes away all ones choices, unless of course one has to pay to have that mechanism unlocked.

Looks like I will have to ring those nice Apple people up. I'm keeping this phone at least 1 more year.

Ta!

:)
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited May 2014
    I was under the impression that a network sold iPhone was locked to that network, and subject to the usual difficulties of getting it unlocked, which I believe they are legally obliged to do, (but that maybe dependant on where in the contract cycle you are).  It is part of ensuring that the phone is used with the contract it is supplied with, as you are basically buying the phone from the network on extended credit.

iPhones sold by Carphone warehouse with a contract are supplied unlocked, but will lock to the first network who's SIM is inserted, and I assume the above still applies.  Edit: I believe that other phones are supplied, and continue to remain entirely unlocked, but I would check first if that is important.

However I had been informed that when supplied direct from Apple, that iPhones would remain unlocked.  That certainly makes sense, especially if you were to spend time travelling abroad, where you would need to use that phone with a temporary SIM for that country.

This whole area seems pretty anticompetitive to me.

Looks like a call to AppIe.  I am interested to see how this pans out for you Bellycaster, good luck

I agree it doesn't make much sense to the consumer, but that's the muscle of the networks. I once had an out-of-contract phone as a spare on a PAYG sim, then Vodafone decided out of the blue that it was stolen and they bricked it.

BTW that was a serious suggestion - iPhones are commodities on ebay and you could probably sell yours and buy an identical model in similar condition that will work on your preferred network without losing much money. The trick with iPhones is to sell them on before Apple drop the support, which in the case of the iPhone 4S is when the successor to the 5s/5c comes out.
    Thanks @ChrisMusic

It's puzzling to me, being a numpty n'all. I did buy the phone outright as I intended to keep it for possibly 4 years, so I would have thought I would have the freedom of choice.

I may see a mate of mine this weekend who is a walking encyclopedia and is handy with gadget info and protocol etc.

I'll keep posting.

B-)
    I agree it doesn't make much sense to the consumer, but that's the muscle of the networks. I once had an out-of-contract phone as a spare on a PAYG sim, then Vodafone decided out of the blue that it was stolen and they bricked it.

BTW that was a serious suggestion - iPhones are commodities on ebay and you could probably sell yours and buy an identical model in similar condition that will work on your preferred network without losing much money. The trick with iPhones is to sell them on before Apple drop the support, which in the case of the iPhone 4S is when the successor to the 5s/5c comes out.
    Thanks Thermionic.

Drop the Support? Does that mean you are no longer classed as an Apple Customer or does it mean you no longer get updates to your phone etc. Things like this to me are just time and energy consuming, there are obviously many "cans of worms" that I know nothing about.

If I sell my iphone, that just means someone else is buying a "Locked" iphone doesn't it?

Not having a go at you btw, just venting, it seems like when one gets involved in the technological revolution, it's like you actually sign up to another "Full Time Job" of keeping up with it, it gets right on my tits.

I am totally ignorant of every single scenario except "Buy iphone and get Sim Only Contract" Lol, me luddite, you Jane.

;)
    What I meant by support was "Apple still selling it". Up until a couple of weeks ago I had an iPhone 4, and that model was dropped when the iPhone 5 came out. The 4S is obviously the next to go. Even though Apple had stopped making them and selling them, I was still able to get the iOS updates on my iPhone 4 (although the hardware couldn't support all the features - Siri for instance).

My iPhone 4 is on ebay now (having upgraded to a 5s) but there's not that much demand for them now - 6 months ago I would have got £150 easily, now I'd be lucky to go over £90.

Ahh, I see. If I was to sell mine(eventually), is it just a case of restoring factory settings? Obviously I don't want all my music, emails and photos of me wearing high heels to fall into the wrong hands.

:D
    I think so - that's what I did with mine. Although I didn't check to see what was still on it, it came up with the same setup screen prompting you for details as a new one does.

The photos of you in high heels are all over the internet anyway.

The photos of you in high heels are all over the internet anyway.
    Only the ones with my Gimp Mask on, I do have some dignity.

;;)