Acoustic Get Together - thoughts / ideas

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2759
on the Water Rats thread I postulated about having an acoustic jam / meet / open mic type Saturday afternoon event, and got a few positive responses. So I’d like to try and get something arranged.

what other thoughts do people have ?  We could go back to Water Rats and have mics and guitars through the desks just as if electric.  Or we could hire rehearsal rooms without recording, or we could just get a bug hall and play and sing acoustically.  I quite like the idea of separate rooms so that people can try out each other’s guitars etc or show a few tricks etc.

so just seeking brainstorm ideas?  Anyone ever held and acoustic meet up ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    Always up for acoustic gig...nearer to Midlands is better for me.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12328
    I wouldn't be too bothered about the recording, its nice for a yearly event but other jams I've been to have been just as good without recording.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    I'd go, but I'm pretty piss poor at playing guitar (but love it anyway) so likely would feel completely out of my depth and embarrassed. Also, being a leftie trying other guitars wouldn't be in my favour.

I've got no problems singing or getting in front of others, although I've never done it before

The thing I would like more than anything would be to go along, play a few things and get a load of hints and tips to practice. It's still a relatively new world to me really.

Midlands,  but happy to travel 100 miles or so from Telford.
    Shrews said:
    I'd go, but I'm pretty piss poor at playing guitar (but love it anyway) so likely would feel completely out of my depth and embarrassed. Also, being a leftie trying other guitars wouldn't be in my favour.

I've got no problems singing or getting in front of others, although I've never done it before

The thing I would like more than anything would be to go along, play a few things and get a load of hints and tips to practice. It's still a relatively new world to me really.

You absolutely would be fine.  Even if you can only play a few chords someone would duet with you.  These are incredibly friendly and supportive events.
    sev112 said:
    on the Water Rats thread I postulated about having an acoustic jam / meet / open mic type Saturday afternoon event, and got a few positive responses. So I’d like to try and get something arranged.

what other thoughts do people have ?  We could go back to Water Rats and have mics and guitars through the desks just as if electric.  Or we could hire rehearsal rooms without recording, or we could just get a bug hall and play and sing acoustically.  I quite like the idea of separate rooms so that people can try out each other’s guitars etc or show a few tricks etc.

Another idea would be to play some acoustic bass with the guitar, although I don't own one!
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    munckee said:
    Shrews said:

You absolutely would be fine.  Even if you can only play a few chords someone would duet with you.  These are incredibly friendly and supportive events.
    Ok superb, then count me in. Just let me know when and where. =)
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    I'll be up for that, count me in.
    edited April 2019
    My current acoustic learnings are - 

Del Amitri - nothing ever happens
    Neil young  - Harvest Moon
    Foo fighters - My hero
    Snow patrol - Empress
    Brian Adams - run to you
    Water boys - whole of the moon 
    Radiohead - High & dry

Getting ready for a local open mic...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    munckee said:
    sev112 said:

Another idea would be to play some acoustic bass with the guitar, although I don't own one!

Acoustic bass, djemba drums, the odd ukulele and mandolin would be great? 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Great idea. I’d be up for that. It would give me something to have to work towards because at present just about everything else in life seems to be taking precedence over guitar playing :(
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2759
    I’m gonna see who else makes any suggestions , then at the weekend i’ll Start making s9me practical enquiries , thanks all. I’m sure I can get something together
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7395
    I could be up for this 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited May 2019
    Is this still on the cards?

Is a Midlands based acoustic Jam worth looking at? 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    Depending on the when/where of it I'd potentially by up for a bit of ritual humiliation.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    If the venue is sorted I reckon the rest would take care of itself. Ideally a big living room IMO 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2513
    Yep I'd like to come along. Only have an acoustic (not electro) but still interested. Listening to the radio yesterday and ooh la la by the face came on - would be a good one to do :)