Line 6 DL4 - Any Good ? Anyone Still Use One ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Out of interest, can the DL4 be powered by a standard 9v power supply?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tbctbc Frets: 38
    Out of interest, can the DL4 be powered by a standard 9v power supply?

With something like this it can be:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/pedal-power-supplies/diago-ps03-green-adaptor-centre-positive-25mm-barrel
  • tbc said:

With something like this it can be:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/pedal-power-supplies/diago-ps03-green-adaptor-centre-positive-25mm-barrel
    Cheers :)

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I had an Echopark sold it and bought a few analogue delay pedals, but never connected with any of them. I ended up buying another Echopark about a year ago. I was nearly going to buy a DL4, it was just the size issue for me.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265

It needs 12v dc, centre POSITIVE with a 2.5mm barrel plug with something around 200mA current draw (I've seen 175mA - 250mA quoted around the web)

I knew someone who was running one at 9v dc and it did work but it may be a bit less noisy (?) with the full 12v.

Have a read of the sixth post down here (heyniceguy)...

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    sgosden said:
    Hx stomp has exactly the same delay engines as the DL4

Wazmeister said:
    @Lebarque (oh, and I forgot the HX Stomp...) 

It doesn't sound the same.
    I think the dl4 has a pre amp in it

@impmann knows his dl4 pretty well
    Jack is right here... I’ve just bought a new one and the pre amp setting on some delays is very good - the Stomp does sound different 
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Where's the Ed O'Brien thing you lot keep referring to? (please!)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

That Pedal Show. Not last Friday, week before. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440

As above but if you’re running with other pedals it needs to be isolated otherwise you’re gonna get some seriously funky things happening and I’m not talking about good Vulfpeck funky. Like old homeless haven’t seen a bar of soap or fresh socks for a while kinda funky. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    What a great interview chat - inspiring!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I had one which I liked the sounds on and the looper, but it had a software glitch at a gig - it got stuck on the loop from the previous song and wouldn’t turn off until I unplugged the power cable - and I never trusted it after that and quickly stopped using it. It did also affect the tone a bit when it was in the amp’s FX loop, but that was most likely as much to do with the crap Mesa loop (even after series mod). I ended up replacing it with two Boss delays and an Akai Headrush, which is an even better looper and not a bad delay, and runs on a standard 9V supply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• One of the best delay pedals in history, but I do think there are plenty of options around these days that are just as good.

Bye!

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    ICBM said:
    I had one which I liked the sounds on and the looper, but it had a software glitch at a gig - it got stuck on the loop from the previous song and wouldn’t turn off until I unplugged the power cable - and I never trusted it after that and quickly stopped using it. It did also affect the tone a bit when it was in the amp’s FX loop, but that was most likely as much to do with the crap Mesa loop (even after series mod). I ended up replacing it with two Boss delays and an Akai Headrush, which is an even better looper and not a bad delay, and runs on a standard 9V supply.
    That fault is a new one on me! We saw a few oddities with the DL4 through the old Line6 Service dept. Most of them are caused by the main chip, which is fitted on the underside of the main board either coming loose or tarnish on the pins. I wonder if your issue was caused by that, @ICBM
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    impmann said:

That fault is a new one on me! We saw a few oddities with the DL4 through the old Line6 Service dept. Most of them are caused by the main chip, which is fitted on the underside of the main board either coming loose or tarnish on the pins. I wonder if your issue was caused by that, @ICBM
    No idea! It never did it again. I had used it for one song where it worked fine, but when I pressed the footswitch to record the loop for the next song, it started playing the old loop and wouldn't stop no matter what footswitches I pressed or knobs I turned - eventually I just bent down and pulled the power plug out and there was a blessed silence :). Plugged back in after a few seconds and all was fine, so it had clearly got itself into a software hang of some sort.

It was very lucky that the second song's loop was the intro part, so it didn't actually happen in the middle of a song. The rest of the band just looked daggers at me until I'd sorted it out ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2325
    Odd that they are £170 and a Stomp is like £405 or something now. If they did another batch at £120 I'd snap one up. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Odd that they are £170 and a Stomp is like £405 or something now. If they did another batch at £120 I'd snap one up. 
    they are 100 quid used or less all day long
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    Not quite mate - seem to fetching up to £150
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Not quite mate - seem to fetching up to £150
    really? It has been a while since I last owned one. 

And to think 2 years ago you couldn't give them away. Funny what one TPS video can do
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2325
    It'll become a classic that everyone wants like an old Boss....and surge in price. 

How close is the HX Stomp?!