Novo guitars, people tried them?

What's Hot
horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
So, I'm really enjoying the sounds that Rhett Schull is getting from the Novo Serus J on his YouTube channel and really like the look of them as something different to the usual offset guitars. Has anyone any experience of them, I'm seriously considering getting down to Coda and giving them a go but are they 'all that'?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    Interested in what you think, I like the look of these too. Serus T with a German carve and a Mastery trem, mmm
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    Yeah, they are that good. Got an early Serus J when Coda first brought them in, I think mine was made in Pennsylvania when Dennis was doing it all by himself. It's excellent - great relic job, nice roasted woods, handles beautifully - they are big guitars (body-shape wise) but still lightweight. Been gassing for something with a Bigsby from them, may need to custom order though as Coda seems to sell through almost everything they get in very quickly.
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    As a small 'hoo-man' are they too big a body?

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Since I found Rhett Schull on YouTube I've been gassing for one of these too...just haven't got anywhere near the moolah required. Or the skill. But yes, they sound and look bloody marvellous
    horsehead said:
    As a small 'hoo-man' are they too big a body?

Genuinely not sure, I'm a little over 6' and it's no trouble for me. The contours on the J/S are nice, they make the whole thing seem a little sleeker when it's worn. I think you can custom-order Ts with the contours as well - in addition to giving the illusion of slimness they will also take some weight off...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    Genuinely not sure, I'm a little over 6' and it's no trouble for me.
    I'm only 5'3" so...slightly different

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    Pop down to Coda then and have a go I guess... although they only have Serus Ts in at the moment, but there's an old Sectis still in stock that will have the contours of the J and the S model.

Presuming your avatar is accurate, the beard will assist you as it's almost required for these types of guitars.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    Pop down to Coda then and have a go I guess... although they only have Ts in at the moment, but there's an old Sectis still in stock that will have the contours of the J and the S model.

Presuming your avatar is accurate, the beard will assist you as it's almost required for these types of guitars.
    I'm going full hipster!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3542
    horsehead said:
    Whitecat said:
    Genuinely not sure, I'm a little over 6' and it's no trouble for me.
    I'm only 5'3" so...slightly different

If you like offsets but need a smaller guitar, look at Reverend.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    THREE THOUSAND POUNDS?! 

And you need to spend another £500 to get a proper finish.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    There is a reason they don't hang around for long. Amazing guitars, I was lucky last time I went to Coda they had 10 in stock!

I compared them to CS Jaguars and Jazzmasters.

Much preferred the Novo's they feel so light and worn in. Try them and see for yourself well worth the trip. 
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    We’ve got a lot of guitars arriving over the next few months, but they do tend to come in small quantities and I can confirm that they’re superb instruments, but I am slightly biased...I’ll post pics on our instagram,Facebook and Twitter pages as soon as we have them....that’s generally before the hit the website 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9300
    I had the pleasure of playing a couple in Coda and they're very good indeed. They've got on with double gold foils that was excellent. The finishes are very thin and the paint sinks nicely into the wood grain. They're a lot of money, but not unreasonable for a boutique guitar with that level of quality
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Fano were awesome when Dennis ran that operation - if Novo are half as good they'd be superb, but from what I can judge Novo are even better.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • tsj93tsj93 Frets: 56
    edited April 2019
    got any strat type novos on the way @DougCoda ?
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    tsj93 said:
    got any strat type novos on the way @DougCoda ?
    Got a sunburst SV ( Lollar Imperial Humbucker and Firebird pickups) on the way and a JS (Schroeder Stoptail) with Gold Foils..There are a few regular S models on order but I reckon they're at least 12-16 weeks away.. We've mainly variations on the J and T coming as they've been the most popular. We do have a lot of guitars on back order but they can;t make them quickly enough..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited April 2019
    I am the current custodian of a rather jolly Serus J that looks like this:

(Couldn't embed from phone; now can embed from office)

Its really, really good. Light, resonant, responsive and achingly pretty. More spank than a dominatrix from those P90s. Yes it’s big but the lightness sorta makes one not notice so much, if that makes sense. And the neck... it feels like it’s been ‘played in’ for 50 years. 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    IS that the one that was up for sale recently @JerkMoans ?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    horsehead said:
    IS that the one that was up for sale recently @JerkMoans ?
    Yep. Temporary Custodianship was transferred on payment of the appropriate deposit :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom