Free Way Switch

RabsRabs Frets: 2607

Anyone ever tried one of these? Apparently its to use instead of push/pull pots..  Seems like an interesting idea to me.

What they do (for both blade and Gibson type toggle switches) is that the switch moves side to side adding three more options.

https://i.imgur.com/vxaxuO1.png

https://www.freewayswitch.com/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    Yes. I have used the 3x3-03 model.

I have bored the arse off everybody, in other Discussions, posting about the switch. I shall refrain from doing that again here.  :3
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader

That's ok... Please enlighten me.. I missed your other posts on it..

Worth using? 

Seems like a good idea to me.

I like the 3x3-03. I used it in my PRS Custom to obtain six sounds that I would actually use rather than the five offered on the five-way rotary selector switch.

One side of my switch does Neck/Both/Bridge humbucker sounds.

The other side does Bridge PU Split, Inside Coils in Parallel and the “Power-Out-Of-Phase” permutation from the early factory guitars of the mid Eighties.

The switch is simple to use but can be a pig to wire up. My circuit does not comply exactly with any of the Freeway .pdf schematic diagrams. Much head scratching required. 
    edited April 2019 tFB Trader

Ok..  Thanks a lot for that.

My next project will be a hybrid type guitar with a single pickup at the bridge and a piezo TOM pickup.. I am thinking one of these switches may be cool for that job. My only worry is the long term durability of them.. I do trust my usual swicthcraft switches.

Cheers

If you are only going to have two pickups, there is little to justify six selections. It might be easier to have a Balance panpot. The buffering/pre-amp components in some piezo systems may oblige you to have the balance pot.
    tFB Trader
    If you are only going to have two pickups, there is little to justify six selections. It might be easier to have a Balance panpot. The buffering/pre-amp components in some piezo systems may oblige you to have the balance pot.

Yeah I am aware that I am going to have to do some experimentation. This is my first piezo install but the bridge I have they say you wire it in like a normal pickup?.. I am dubious about that so we will see.