Mr Rotavator !

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
I needed to dig up a section of damaged lawn to re-seed it - it's only about 3M x 3M, but it's become quite compacted.  I spent an hour with a fork and rake and it nearly killed me - and I only got a third of it done - and only down to about 10cm depth.

THEN I spotted Screwfix were selling an electric rotavator in their Easter sale - for £39.99 !!

O.M.G......  If you've never used one of these, you're missing out!  Ten minutes later and the soil is the finest & lightest I've ever seen - it's like I've emptied a dozen bags of seeding compost on there.

I'm now going to till a 'dump' section of the garden with this and turn it into a veg plot.

It's amazing - and a pity I don't have more land to attack with it.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/yt5601-01-800w-28cm-tiller-220-240v/865fg

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Maybe you should consider being a landscaper?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    You know everyone's going no dig, don't you?  Screwfix probably have rotavators on sale because they're about as popular as a fart in a space suit.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3853
    edited April 2019
    Soak it with a hose the day before you dig. It works for me and makes it a lot easier. Use a decent quality fork too. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    revsorg said:
    You know everyone's going no dig, don't you?  Screwfix probably have rotavators on sale because they're about as popular as a fart in a space suit.
    By “everyone” do you a actually mean “a microscopic number of people” - in comparison to 99.99% who follow the methods that have evolved from tens of thousands of years of human agriculture and the multi-billion dollar global horticulture industry?

Shome mishtake shurely?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    Emp_Fab said:
    revsorg said:
    By “everyone” do you a actually mean “a microscopic number of people” - in comparison to 99.99% who follow the methods that have evolved from tens of thousands of years of human agriculture and the multi-billion dollar global horticulture industry?

Shome mishtake shurely?
    No.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    You need to look into no dig. It's based on the fact that nature has spent millions of years growing very successfully and it doesn't own a spade or rotavator! Look at a forest floor and how fertile and soft the earth is, why is that?
    Now Agriculture had a huge surge through the end of the 19th Century well into the late 20th with tools and chemical 'enhancements' making a massive commercial industry. Farmers have learned that doing this to soil over and over leaves it sterile, hard / compact, prevents water retention leading to rain run off causing soil errosion, flooding, nitrate poisoning of water courses to mention a few obvious weaknesses.
    Allowing the soil to repair itself and then using that natural fertility provides better more abundent and tstier food that is resistant to many diseases.

But Chemicals, yea!

That said I grew up with commercial horticulture and can wield a mean rotavator, I even own one but it rarely gets used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    For that price worth it! Just flog it on eBay afterwards and save on storage space.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    The Guy over here that is oft quoted as a no dig guru is Charles Dowding. He's a published Auther, public speaker and runs training courses. But he has a Semi commercial garden that uses the methods he has evolved and regular yootoob vids, many with over 1 million views.
    Yeah - OK - good luck to him.  However - I'm planting a frigging lawn, and if I just throw the seed onto the compacted ground, it's going to come up shit - if at all.  Not to mention the birds eating the seeds and the dog getting them stuck in his paws.
    I'm very pleased Mr Dowding has evolved methods that involve not digging.  However, the rest of the planet - not least the previously referenced global agriculture industry do dig.  There is obviously a reason why they haven't converted en-masse to no-dig methods.  I don't know what that reason is, nor do I care to find out.  I'm really not that interested either way !

However....  getting a machine of destruction that does in seconds what would otherwise be back-breaking work, for forty quid is awesome.  Standing behind it as it pulverises everything in its path and cackling like an evil villain is worth the money alone.

It's the agricultural equivalent of 'Will it blend', 'will it crush' and other destructive pastimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzb6zDFg3WQ

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Emp_Fab said:
    Yeah - OK - good luck to him.  However - I'm planting a frigging lawn, and if I just throw the seed onto the compacted ground, it's going to come up shit - if at all.  Not to mention the birds eating the seeds and the dog getting them stuck in his paws.
    I'm very pleased Mr Dowding has evolved methods that involve not digging.  However, the rest of the planet - not least the previously referenced global agriculture industry do dig.  There is obviously a reason why they haven't converted en-masse to no-dig methods.  I don't know what that reason is, nor do I care to find out.  I'm really not that interested either way !

However....  getting a machine of destruction that does in seconds what would otherwise be back-breaking work, for forty quid is awesome.  Standing behind it as it pulverises everything in its path and cackling like an evil villain is worth the money alone.

It's the agricultural equivalent of 'Will it blend', 'will it crush' and other destructive pastimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzb6zDFg3WQ

I agree entirely - It's your garden, and you have every right to cultivate it as you see fit. I have a similar problem with my lawn, cos my 9 month old male puppy seems to piss sulphric acid, and a considerable are is now looking like round 9" diameter scorched earth rings. I will probably sort it by hand but I would have no issue with using a rotavator if it would help the task.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Well our garden isn't a No dig zone for sure....Im getting one...good shout ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    I've ordered one it should be ready for collection today. I've got a large area at the back of the garden full of weeds that's a night mare to hand dig so I'll give this a whirl.
    I hope you’re as happy with yours as I am with mine.  I hate recommending things, in case people are disappointed for some reason!  
    Me too. How does it handle any stones in the ground?
    Depends on the size.  Anything it can’t immediately kick out tends to make the thing bounce, so it’s best to follow the advice in the instructions to keep a light hold on it.  I had stones as large as 4 inches and some it kicked out, others it bounced upwards violently - same with very thick roots.  It never damaged the blades or even bent them!  You just stop, chuck the offending item away and carry on.

It’s got a very powerful motor and the whole thing doesn’t weigh a ton, so it’s a bit like trying to take an angry pitbull for a walk that’s just spotted a tasty poodle!
    Shabba.
    edited April 2019
    I blitzed the over grown rear of the garden on Tuesday and it took less than two hours and I'm very impressed by it. I'll stick some pics up when I'm on the pc but well worth the £40 for the time and labour its saved me.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    Looks good.  Only have a small veg plot, but I have a poorly back and Mrs LedZep has a heart condition.  I've reserved one at Llanelli for collection tomorrow.  They're 50 quid now, but still look good value.  Excellent reviews too.  You can come round for some runner beans come August.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    ESBlonde said:
    The Guy over here that is oft quoted as a no dig guru is Charles Dowding. He's a published Auther, public speaker and runs training courses. But he has a Semi commercial garden that uses the methods he has evolved and regular yootoob vids, many with over 1 million views.
    None of which means anything, especially when your target market is amateur horticulturalists. :-)

No dig is essentially minimal cultivation. It works in certain conditions, but not all. It's the main commercial method used in hotter drier countries as it keeps more moisture in the ground, however although it is used in more temperate climates, most UK conditions work better with deeper cultivation. I know my brother's mate tried it in a few fields (he spent two years working his way around the world on various farms so got to see various methods in action) for a few years, but in good fields he could see soil quality reducing along with yields as good deep soil benefits from deeper cultivation, whereas it did help improve the couple fields they had which were pretty much heavy clay. Both of which eventually got planted in trees, after the estate bought his parents partnership/tenancy back out, and the new farm manager couldn't do anything meaningful with the fields
    It's all about making the most of the conditions you have, with no one method being the ideal way.

Which reminds me, I need to get my old Howard 300 fired up, and get the parents raspberries tidied up.
    King85 said:
    I blitzed the over grown rear of the garden on Tuesday and it took less than two hours and I'm very impressed by it. I'll stick some pics up when I'm on the pc but well worth the £40 for the time and labour its saved me.

I’m so glad you never came back to say it was crap and nearly killed you!