Music from tree rings

FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
This is what it sounds like when you put tree rings on a record player .. :-)

http://www.realfarmacy.com/this-is-what-it-sounds-like-when-you-put-tree-rings-on-a-record-player/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Is all in the Max4Live programming. Nothing to do with the wood.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Don't understand. How do they translate it to piano music? Why is it all in the same key? If you played it backwards would each note crescendo and then suddenly stop, instead of being percussive and decaying?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

viz said:
    Don't understand. How do they translate it to piano music? Why is it all in the same key? If you played it backwards would each note crescendo and then suddenly stop, instead of being percussive and decaying?
    No. He's converting light and colour into midi. Then sending it to a piano patch in Ableton. The tree really has nothing to do with it. Might as well be a psychedelic t-shirt!
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    It is not dissimilar to the way the Music Box curio I posted is producing sounds.  Take a look @viz

The asymmetric pattern of the tree rings caused by uneven yearly growth across the section gives it the same sort of definition, but somewhat seems to miss the point of using and relating to the organic origin of the music.  In that sense I agree with @Drew_fx's point that it "Might as well be a psychedelic t-shirt!", as it is largely just randomising an interpretation, with little relation to the subject.

The end result is more of a publicity stunt than anything radically interpretative.

Pity that, it seems an interesting concept.