Easy to set up audio interface - USB (2 xXLR/1/4 in jack) and midi

Ive bought a PreSonus Audiobox USB 2x2 audio interface from ebay. It came with Cubase LE 4. I have downloaded universal control from PreSonus which i believe is the correct driver for running on win 10. all software installed and licenced. But I am buggered if I can get it to work, but I am a total novice. Is there anything like a plug n play system, of similar spec I can buy new?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    Hi Russ.  I'm hobbyist using Cubase (8.5 pro in my case) and I have to say that, whilst Cubase is incredibly powerful, I do find it a bit of a bugger to set up.

Not having the same version as you I'm not sure that I can talk you all the way through but let's see if I can help.

Some more detail as to how far you have got / issues you are facing would be a good start but, whilst we are waiting, have you got as far as;

Launch Cubase
    Load new prject
    From the Devises tab > Devise Setup... > VST Audio System

At this point you should have a box with a pull down menue labelled ASIO Driver and here you should select your PreSonous driver.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Dude...maybe try downloading PreSonus Studio 1 Artist...I think it’s free....it should pick up you interface starlight away .

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • RussGRussG Frets: 15
    Musicwolf said:
    Hi Russ.  I'm hobbyist using Cubase (8.5 pro in my case) and I have to say that, whilst Cubase is incredibly powerful, I do find it a bit of a bugger to set up.

Not having the same version as you I'm not sure that I can talk you all the way through but let's see if I can help.

Some more detail as to how far you have got / issues you are facing would be a good start but, whilst we are waiting, have you got as far as;

Launch Cubase
    Load new prject
    From the Devises tab > Devise Setup... > VST Audio System

At this point you should have a box with a pull down menue labelled ASIO Driver and here you should select your PreSonous driver.

got as far as downloading driver (called control centre I think) and Installed latest version of soft e-licence to activate Cubase LE 4
    Installed Cubase LE4 and activated
    According to documentation, I was then require to set up bus controls
    First of all, CB recognised it was hooked up with Audiobox and displayed this in the VST screen, but when tried to switch to Audiobox on VST it fails to initialise.
    It suggests re-installing driver, which I did, and then I lost it from the VST screen !!!!!!!
    spark240 said:
    Dude...maybe try downloading PreSonus Studio 1 Artist...I think it’s free....it should pick up you interface starlight away .
    I lopled at their website but you have to pay. Any idea where it's free?
    Don't want to fork out loads if the interface itself isn't compatible 
    I think its called Prime now...

Try this..https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/get-studio-one

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    I think its called Prime now...

Try this..https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/get-studio-one
    Cheers mate. I'll give it a try tonight...And Prime doesn't expire....bonus
    Just been moochin at some info about Prime and found this

Its biggest drawback is that the free version of the software can’t load VST or AU plugins (you’ll need Studio One Artist with a paid add-on or Studio One Pro for that). 

What does that mean in layman's terms?

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    RussG said:

Its biggest drawback is that the free version of the software can’t load VST or AU plugins (you’ll need Studio One Artist with a paid add-on or Studio One Pro for that). 

It means that version won't load 3rd party effects or instruments, so you are stuck with what it comes with - which may not be a problem depending on your requirements. I imagine you will find it limiting in the future though.

Does the sound card work for listening to mp3s or youtube and so on if you select it in the Windows sound control panel?

If so, you can move onto Cubase and follow @Musicwolf's instructions to select the Presonus ASIO driver. If this doesn't appear in the menu, I would uninstall all the Presonus software, reboot the machine and then reinstall.
    Next step (also in the Cubase Devices menu) is to go to the VST Connections page. This has tabs for inputs and outputs - on the output page make sure the correct hardware outputs are connected to the software outputs. You should then be able to play back the demo song, for example. Then on the inputs page, add a new mono bus for each input (probably 2 in your case), assign one to input one and the other to input 2 of the soundcard.

Nearly there! In the Cubase arrange page, right click and select "add audio track" and add two mono tracks. Make sure you can see the track inspector - there's probably a button near the top to view/hide this.  In the inspector, select "mono in 1" as the input, press the record button and you should see an input signal in the mixer (F3 on the keyboard) assuming you have connected eg a guitar or mic to input 1 of the soundcard. If you press the yellow speaker icon, you should hear  your guitar etc and see the signal on the  meter of the record enabled track.  On the second track, select "mono in 2" as the input and repeat the process for whatever you have connected to the second inout of the soundcard. If you want to record a stereo track, add it and select "stereo in 1 & 2" as the input.

It all sounds very complicated, but the basic setup should only need to be done once, and should take about 1/20th of the time it has taken me to write this lot - and unfortunately there is no plug and play solution, you have to do it the same for whatever hardware/software you want to use. It's worth persevering though, it's very high on my list of "funnest things you can do with your clothes on"!
    edited April 2019
    RussG said:

Exactly what @wave100 said, but all demo / free DAWS will have some limitation, I tried a few before settling on Studio One

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Right, I think I have solved all my problems with PreSonus Prime 4. I can now hear output through headphones via the Audiobox, as well as input. Input from bass guitar seems to be reflected in the level displays in the software and can also be heard via headphones, so i am presuming it will also record. 
    I dont have any studio monitors at the moment, but I think I may have some sorted, along with an amp, as I believe the output from the Audiobox need an amplifier to go to passive speakers
    Do you think they will p155 the neighbours off????
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    RussG said:
    I think they will piss you off first.  Probably the most unsuitable ‘studio monitors’ you could have bought 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    John_A said:
    RussG said:
    I think they will piss you off first.  Probably the most unsuitable ‘studio monitors’ you could have bought 
    I was thinking the same, I just didn't want to be the one to break the news.
    John_A said:
    RussG said:
    Musicwolf said:
    John_A said:
    RussG said:
    I was thinking the same, I just didn't want to be the one to break the news.
    Hahaha, I was being a little sarcastic LOL
    TBH, I bought them because they are cheap and LOUD!!!
    I picked them up this morning, in excellent condition, still in their boxes, and I actually believe that they have been used only once. They do sound amazing though.
    On the plus side, Prime has sorted out all my interface issues, almost as if it was 'plug n play'
    Input, output and recording all working fine with guitar, going to have a play with midi keyboard tonight
    John_A said:
    RussG said:
    Indeed....dude ...why on earth would you want a pair of PA speakers as studio monitors?...TBH you are far better off using the headphones.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview