Craving a white falcon......put me off or advise me

What's Hot

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    TheMarlin said:

The only White Falcon I would buy is the rare ‘David Lee’ version.    It’s stunning without being blingy.  People ask ‘Masterbuilt’ money for them, though they are just a limited run Japanese built model. I wouldn’t pay more than £1500 for one, though I’ve seen people asking £6k. Stupid!

https://reverb.com/uk/item/3427928-gretsch-6136-white-falcon-limited-edition-2008-david-lee-near-mint

I had a Dave Lee Falcon for a few years. Looked nice but really it was just a pretty average Guitar at best, and that was after @ICBM fettled it (setup and pinned the bridge and I think we also had to pin the Bigsby to get it to stay in tune - and it had a low friction nut and locking tuners). It was very clunky to play. I tried 11s and it sounded worse, tried flats on it too and it was horrible :) The skinny Japanese Gretsch neck wasn’t great either. I don’t mind smaller necks but the Gretsch ones just don’t do it for me. I don’t regret selling it, I lost nothing on it, but I do think it’s one of the best looking guitars I’ve owned. One of those ‘better to look at than to own’ things, I think. 

I also had a White Penguin that was beautiful but had more or less exactly the same issues and needed the same fettling. It was a marginally better guitar than the Falcon and so I used it more but still a compromised instrument. 

Oh, and side dots on gold sparkle binding disappear under stage lights too ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    was only ever one White Falcon period... Now you will look like you got a Chinese copy...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    I had a Black Falcon, and it was a superb guitar. Fantastic sounding, unique, great build quality and surprisingly versatile. The break up sound into a good valve amp is unparalleled imho.

I'd recommend the Player mods (or whatever they called them) as this solves a lot of Gretsch issues.

You lose a fair bit when selling them, but that makes em good second hand buys.

Do you live in a National Trust house?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    TheMarlin said:

The only White Falcon I would buy is the rare ‘David Lee’ version.    It’s stunning without being blingy.  People ask ‘Masterbuilt’ money for them, though they are just a limited run Japanese built model. I wouldn’t pay more than £1500 for one, though I’ve seen people asking £6k. Stupid!

https://reverb.com/uk/item/3427928-gretsch-6136-white-falcon-limited-edition-2008-david-lee-near-mint

I had a Dave Lee Falcon for a few years. Looked nice but really it was just a pretty average Guitar at best, and that was after @ICBM fettled it (setup and pinned the bridge and I think we also had to pin the Bigsby to get it to stay in tune - and it had a low friction nut and locking tuners). It was very clunky to play. I tried 11s and it sounded worse, tried flats on it too and it was horrible :) The skinny Japanese Gretsch neck wasn’t great either. I don’t mind smaller necks but the Gretsch ones just don’t do it for me. I don’t regret selling it, I lost nothing on it, but I do think it’s one of the best looking guitars I’ve owned. One of those ‘better to look at than to own’ things, I think. 

I also had a White Penguin that was beautiful but had more or less exactly the same issues and needed the same fettling. It was a marginally better guitar than the Falcon and so I used it more but still a compromised instrument. 

Oh, and side dots on gold sparkle binding disappear under stage lights too ;)
    First thing I would have done is replace the Powertrons, I’m definitely not a fan. Supertrons, Setzer Signatures, or Classic Plus set are way better. 

I agree about the skinny necks. Sad thing is, that’s the best neck on a current non-Masterbuilt Gretsch is on the cheapy G2420. Nice full neck. Most Japanese built Gretsches are just to skinny for me   I do love a Gretsch, so i persevere.....

I’ve yet to hear a glowing review of the David Lee White Falcon, every first hand review has been a bit disappointing.... but it’s the only White Falcon around that’s not blingy.  The Billy Duffy model is hideous, so would never consider that. 

If I ever bought another Falcon, would be my old Black Phoenix. Lovely thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    I had a white Gretsch Panther.  Killer guitar, although I did eventually sell it on in favour of you-know-what-in-the-cupboard.

I guess you could describe it as somewhere between a Falcon and an ES-335.  They're discontinued AFAIK, but might be worth trying to track one down.  Ticks all the right boxes.

The Panther was much loved over at Gretsch Talk.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    I've a White Falcon Jnr available .. a good bit rarer than a standard 'Bird and much more comfortable to play with a smaller body

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    bodhi said:
    I had a white Gretsch Panther.  Killer guitar, although I did eventually sell it on in favour of you-know-what-in-the-cupboard.

I guess you could describe it as somewhere between a Falcon and an ES-335.  They're discontinued AFAIK, but might be worth trying to track one down.  Ticks all the right boxes.

That cupboard - TARDIS !!!!!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    SNAKEBITE said:
    I had a Black Falcon, and it was a superb guitar. Fantastic sounding, unique, great build quality and surprisingly versatile. The break up sound into a good valve amp is unparalleled imho.

I'd recommend the Player mods (or whatever they called them) as this solves a lot of Gretsch issues.

Ha !

The wife will be pleased :)

Sadly, just a modern two bed...
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    SNAKEBITE said:

Ha !

The wife will be pleased :)

Sadly, just a modern two bed...

Looks good, no offence meant.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    They are just awesome.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14183
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:
    crunchman said:
    Rent a vintage example. See how you get on with it.
    Given the quirks of vintage Gretsches, that will definitely put the OP off.  The modern Japanese production is a much safer bet.
    +1. Modern Gretsches are way better built. Vintage models can have a lot of problems, neck reset and binding rot are just two common and expensive to resolve issues. 
    tend to agree - certainly more consistent about what you are actually buying 

I have to admit that the White Falcon is one of the coolest looking guitars there is - Great for the video and album cover, but I've never found one that makes me think I need to buy it - Not because anything is wrong with the guitar - Just I don't find them easy to handle
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9271
    I got a Gretsch Broadkaster last year. Still white and blingy and, well, Gretschy, but it has a string through bigsby so it’s actually useable, it actually stays in tune and the modern pickups are a lot more versatile, while still allowing you to do stray cats if you want
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    @SNAKEBITE - no taken mate :)
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    edited April 2019
    definately not designed for the Sub 6ft brigade, I loved mine to death until I saw these pics, it was then I decided I looked like a fucking dwarf and sold it ... If I was a bigger bloke I'd still have it coz it sounded absolutely monster...massive massive sound and it played easy, lovely low action...should have added I swapped the pups out for TV Jones Dynasonics, which were immense

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’m 6ft 1. I’m like big bodied Gretsches, I love how they play, sound, and look. 

Tele’s look very small on me. Love ‘em regardless ;)
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    I was lucky enough to snag @Wazmeister s Black Falcon and it's a fab guitar. I still absolutely love it. I have a 6120 too, which is wider than my Falcon (which is the Players Edition) but that's perfectly fine for playing live too...and I'm just 5'10" or so...and I don't wear my guitars as low these days. Since I got my Gretsches, my Rickenbackers never really had a look in...I only have 1 left now. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    They do feel big at first but you soon get used to it.

Also, less rock n roll, but they are perfect for late night kids in bed practice. Sounds surprisingly good unplugged unlike a plinky plonky es335
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5730
    There’s no doubt a Falcon is at least as much a statement as a guitar. If you want to make that statement then nothing else will do and you have to get one. Which flavour is totally down to taste. My personal favourite is the Stephen Stills, still has the bling bur isn’t shiny and pristine looking. 

If you just want the Gretsch sound and experience, it’s all there in 6119 or 6120.