How does Andy Timmons get his sound ???

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited December 2016 in Guitar
A spectacularly good gig by Andy Timmons.

As I am on my way up the learning curve with this, especially high gain stuff, can anyone here cast some light on the guitar sounds Andy creates.

I am particularly thinking about the thick, congested almost choking distortion, which would not be a "go to" sound for me if experimenting in isolation, but sounds fantastic in this context.   Any other insights into his "sound" would be appreciated too.

What a fantastic player he is, just amazing technique.

Thanks for your help  

duration 54 minutes

edited Dec 2016 with working link for YT video ~ enjoy...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Is this gig just one long guitar solo? 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Well Loobs, if you mean is it instrumental, and by that guitar, then the answer is an unashamed yes   :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    Boogie Lonestar was his fave for lead tones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    I think Ibanez guitars tend to have a signature mid-range voice and there is some lovely subtle delay on that footage too. The Ibanez-ness seems the most apparent thing to me in this vid. Other than that, it's the usual answer; fingers, fingers, fingers.

There is quite a lot of good youtube vids on this guy playing isolated. If you've not seen them, have a look.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    These might help...

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can get a cracking Timmons lead tone from my Yammy THR5
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    (I didn't watch the whole vid- I'm going more on what I'm familiar with with Andy Timmons' more modern tone)

Darkish highish gain tube amp and/or darkish bridge humbucker should get you most of the way there, assuming you can play like him. A tubescreamer (or similar) od boost might help a bit with the smoothness, too.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30876
    Dan at gigrig did a G2 for him. I know he likes the TC SCF and Phase 90. Also uses a timeline

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    There's not too many instrumental rock guitarists I can listen to. Steve Morse is one along with this guy.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17582
    tFB Trader
    I don't think there is any big secret to his sound. 

He uses an HSS strat style Ibanez which in it's current form is alder bodied, but the one he is playing there is the older one with a mohog body (he still sounds like him regardless)

He uses Mesa amps so something high gainish will do and I think the only thing of interest is that he always has a couple of delays on (big box EHX Memory Man on the last rig rundown) set to a low level for ambience.

Other than that there is nothing, but his fingers involved.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30876
    @monquixote

He used to have 2 DMM's, but I think the latest rig has a Timeline instead. Which does do DMM very well I have to say

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17582
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    I suspect the fact that he's playing his old sig suggests it's probably pre Timeline in that vid, but I imagine any analogue type delay would do the job. 
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4973
    edited May 2014
    Same as Satch, 2 delays at times to thicken up the tone. Nice valve amp and a lot of commitment to note choice and execution.

And an octaver/ POG here and there.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    edited May 2014
    I love his Telecaster tone at the end of the vid in "Headed For the Ditch".

There's titbits in this interview worth reading.

Edit: I remember seeing a Y.T interview with him saying that Brothers Johnson song "Strawberry Letter 23" Guitar solo inspired the hammer on riff in Headed for the Ditch".
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Same as Satch, 2 delays at times to thicken up the tone. Nice valve amp and a lot of commitment to note choice and execution.

@littlegreenman got any more info on the two delay thing? Sounds interesting.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited May 2014
    ChrisMusic;229025" said:
    Well Loobs, if you mean is it instrumental, and by that guitar, then the answer is an unashamed yes   :)
    Loobs is sort of the 'new' Bertie, isn't he? A true standard bearer for contumaciousness....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Timmons is classic Boogie sound to my ears, so no big secret. Great player but I find his lead sound a bit tireing after a while, too thick and bassy. Love his clean and edge of breakup tones though, leagues ahead of his "rock" instrumental counterparts for both style and sound in this area IMHO.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4973
    matt1973 said:

@littlegreenman got any more info on the two delay thing? Sounds interesting.
    @matt1973, go to 1:30 of this vid, you can see the tempo settings on the delays.

Short-400ms
    Long-600-650ms
    3-4 repeats
    Gives a great cascading sound.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Thanks to everyone for your responses to my question.

I had a feeling that it might be a Boogie thing, and also the way it interacts with his "Valve Driver" too for some sounds.  I have never played a Boogie, so it is good to get some confirmation that this sound is part of their signature.  I also have to agree with @dindude about the quality of his cleans and verge-of-breakup tones, excellent.

Special thanks to @digitalscream for posting the videos, great insight shared there, and also to @monquixote & @matt1973 for the guitar insights.

Aspiration drives you forward, and whilst I appreciate a wide variety of playing styles and musicianship, this certainly falls into the category of aspiration for me.
    Maybe Andy can lend me his fingers, along with his mind, musicality, experience and the creative vision to control them  :)
    What an exceptional player and musician.

So another question now - what good pedals are out there to get this type of sound ?
    How close do they get, and are they "amp specific" ?

An honorary mention to @richardhomer, I agree.  Contumaciousness is now a new addition to my vocabulary.  :)

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    It's worth pointing out that Mesa does lots of different amps and they don't all sound the same. I wouldn't buy a dual rec for timmons' tones, for example. but the lone star has those nice cleans combined with a warm/dark higher gain channel.

What's your current rig? As I said above, if you can play like him you should be able to get fairly close with fairly standard gear- superstrat, medium (or even medium high) output bridge humbucker (neck and middle single coils for the lighter tones, probably), reasonably high gain tube amp with a warmish distortion channel and decent fenderish clean channel, something tubescreamer-ish as a boost. That'll get you 90% of the way there, maybe 95%. Delays and stuff like that won't hurt, but the base tone can be got without them, I think.