How does Andy Timmons get his sound ???

What's Hot

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Not sure he is @bingefeller, but the Butler Tube Driver he still uses can get a bit mental when pushed, same as the OverLord on the GigRig build, which is a copy.  He also uses the GUI OctaFuzz.  The Velvet is not a usual fuzz though, and it cleans up pretty nicely.  Listen to the range of tones he uses and tell me what you think.

Here is my usual demo of the Velvet by Harry Maes, just for comparison.

Duration 11:37

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited May 2015
    WOW - great thread!!
    Those Truefire vids all seem to be up on youtube - has anybody bought them or watched them? The guy's an amazing musician. 

You know I've spent years focusing on technique, more so the "fast" side of things but it's all for sh!t. Time to start playing more slowly, feeling it, getting new ideas in there - for the music! I'm getting sick of just fast twiddling these days.
    edited May 2015
    Truefire seems to have good lessons from a whole range of players/styles!
    My only issue is there's SO much material these days it'd take a lifetime to sit down and watch it all.

EDIT - jeeeeezo!!
    Just how much material is there on there!! Total overload!! 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I've got the Andy Timmons True Fire course. 

It's brilliant, very focussed on musicianship and note choice.

I think from watching all his videos the answer to the question "How does Andy Timmons get his sound" is "not from any specific gear". 

From what I've seen he's does gigs with the Lonestar for clean and the Stiletto for drive, using the Lonestar for drive and also using pedals for drive into a clean Lonestar and he flips nearly all of his pedals constantly. He even switched to using a mahogany guitar with a rosewood board for a while. 

The most interesting thing that seems specific to his sound and constant over time is having the two modulated delays running all the time and using quite a lot of gain backed off on the neck pickup for a clean sound. 
    Seems he uses an inexpensive-looking Ibanez most of the time. 

What other courses (in general) do you recommend? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I've bought two other courses from True Fire. One was a Jazz one which I wasn't that bothered about and I've recently bought the Dweezil Zappa course which I'm enjoying a lot though it's not got as much content as the AT one. 

The David Grissom one looks good though I don't own it.
    I've been watching a few vids. Nothing majorly new to me - just need to get my @rse in gear and practice. I reckon once you know the basics it's just down to practice - learn some difficult songs, improvise and try to write your own. I think learning songs is the best way to learn but then I could improve a lot so...
    tFB Trader
    I think the Timmons one would be of most use for someone looking to write original material. 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    ^^^ I agree. I also bought the Timmons one and find it very useful and brilliantly articulated. He's easily one of my favourite players
    Steve Lukather is in exactly the same vein IMO
  • LewisWLewisW Frets: 17
    He has mentioned a few times that Lukather is an influence of his.....

Has anybody tried the Ibanez AT10p out? Any review from owners/testers?
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    edited May 2015
    I have the Premium model that Ibanez has out and I love it. Not a traditional Ibanez, especially the neck which is not at all from the usual wizard camp.

The only real difference between this and the prestige model is the lack of locking tuners and the bridge which is a "lower spec" Wilkinson trem.

I'm a bit of a Timmons fan boy and was lucky enough to buy the very guitar (AT10PSB) that Andy plays in this video......

I wrote a little back story over on the Chapman forum which is below with a couple of pics.

http://www.robchapman.tv/forum/index.php?threads/30634/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewisWLewisW Frets: 17
    After reading that im very jealous - great story mate, Got a pm incoming to!
    Ibanez Guitar Festival 2015 : The Jam (Andy Timmons, Gary Willis, Martin Miller, Per Burström)
    "The evening ended with a great spontaneous jam session over a classic blues song.
    Playing are Andy Timmons (guitar), Gary Willis (bass), Martin Miller (guitar) and Per Burström (drums)."

Duration 7:31

Quite beautiful...

Duration 2:49

This is laid back and quite nice too...

Duration 6:56

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Going way back to the beginning of this thread and listening to his 3 vid clips about his sound and equipment and listening to these latest posts I can't help thinking that the delay/echo factor (MM x2?) is a really crucial part. (Talking gear here, not fingers obviously).

I know the JHS Angry Charlie AT pedal has been out a few months, and no doubt been commented on on the forum previously.  However I thought it proper to document it into this discussion, it is all about Andy's tone, gear choices and approach after all !

A great demo from Harry Maes, runs through a selection of tones, and rolls the volume on the guitar up and down well.  Great playing too, I have to say I do like Harry !

Duration 8:51

And another from another of my favourite players, Pete Thorn

Duration 8:01

And some perspective and an explanation from the man himself Mr Andy Timmons, along with Josh.

Duration 12:38

That Pedal Show – JHS Pedals Angry Charlie demo. 

In this video, Daniel and Mick get to grips with the Angry Charlie Distortion. They discovered the pedal on Andy Timmons' board and liked it so much, they decided to make a video about it. 

Daniel is playing his newly acquired, 2002 Gibson Custom Shop R8 and Mick is playing his Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster. 

The amps are a Lazy J J20 and a Mallard Marshall 18-watt clone - both amps are running all the time, and the only pedal used is the Angry Charlie. 

Duration 11:25

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Seems he uses an inexpensive-looking Ibanez most of the time. 

http://www.promusictools.com/ibanez-at100cl-sb-andy-timmons-signature.html
    You're looking at as much dosh as for a comparably specced Suhr, Tiggs. I think the AT100 is sexxay, and it's in use by some boss German players: Martin Miller and Nico Schliemann

Andy in his home studio in Texas, demo of the Angry Charlie AT, playing A Night to Remember, superb IMO

Duration 7:29

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom