Mic-ing amps, with clip

morning all

after a bit of advice; finally got round to getting a mic, and mic-ing up my amp. Been using plugins for ages, and just can't get the sound I want. I live in the middle of nowhere, so volume isn't a problem, but I generally keep it quite quiet anyway, so have run the mic (SM57) through a preamp into Logic. Results are on the track below (it's not a proper song as such, just a track I did quite quickly to see what it sounded like through the amp with a few different sections). Be good to have thoughts on whether it sounds ok, and how to get the lead cutting through a bit more (i.e. do I just need to record with the amp louder to get it to sound better). I don't know a whole lot about recording, but I've eq-d all the guitars, and added compression with the basic electric guitar preset. Any thoughts on compression welcome too; I've been looking into getting some recording tuition, which I think might be the way forward, but if there's any basics I'm getting wrong it'd be good to know. The amp is an Engl and the gain setting is fairly low btw.

cheers :)

Ben 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Serious sweepy chops you got there! 

The sounds you're getting are way nicer than what I've managed so far, so nice one :D
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Sounds awesome.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Serious sweepy chops you got there! 

The sounds you're getting are way nicer than what I've managed so far, so nice one :D

viz said:
    Sounds awesome.
    thanks both ! Been away on hols till a few days ago, thanks for the comments :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.