HX Stomp - Powering Through Ojai ?

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
Now, I have searched this, and I know that Ive read somewhere about the adapters/leads required...

... but try as I might, I can't find it again !!!

Can someone help me out here and recommend what I need please ?

Amazon links much appreciated too :)

Thanks in advance,
Waz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    HX Stomp uses a 9v 3A power supply so you will need a current doubler, rather than a voltage doubler.
    You might still be on the verge of under powering the pedal though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    octatonic said:
    HX Stomp uses a 9v 3A power supply so you will need a current doubler, rather than a voltage doubler.
    You might still be on the verge of under powering the pedal though.

Thanks mate...

Is it either of these ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited April 2019
    This is what you want:

https://www.sweelee.com.sg/products/voodoo-lab-ppap-current-doubler-adapter-cable

You don't want a voltage doubler.
    FWIW Strymon don't make their own current doubler and say to use a 3rd party option.
    @octatonic ;

Sweet. Cheers mate :)
  • If it’s anything like the helix hx it’s not so straightforward.

i got a voodoo labs current doubler to run 2 slots into 1, a polarity reverse cable, and a Diageo line6 2.1 to 2.5 adapter.  Basically I reversed the polarity twice within the three cables.
  • Hey i have one and a zuma i run it off one 500ma tap with the correct cable (no double) and everything performs perfectly you do need the lead with the larger head for the hx
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited April 2019
    3a through any power supply sounds like an awful lot. Only thing i can think of that has that much output is a gigrig generator.

From line 6's own site...

Yeah, but that honkin’ huge DC-3G power supply is like a third the size of the entire pedal!

The power supply is large, yes. To ensure the same signal integrity of its bigger brothers, we needed a burly power supply.

That said, here’s a far-from-comprehensive list of third-party power supplies that we’ve tested with HX Stomp:

• Strymon Zuma R300—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs (-140dBr)
    • Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 4x4—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs (-124dBr)

IMPORTANT NOTE #1: HX Stomp’s sophisticated circuitry pulls notably more than your average pedal. Hence, we used a DC IN jack with a larger center pin to sort of disincentivize people from throwing whatever at it. The stock DC cables that come with the power supplies listed above will NOT fit. Note that Eventide does the exact same thing with their H9.

IMPORTANT NOTE #2: YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. Feel free to use this FAQ as a starting point, but Line 6 is not responsible for any damage incurred when using HX Stomp with any third-party power supplies. That is, if someone writes "B-b-but Line 6 said I could use [power supply X!]," someone will hopefully refer them to this post where I make it perfectly clear that we only *officially* support our DC-3G.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    NelsonP said:
    3a through any power supply sounds like an awful lot. Only thing i can think of that has that much output is a gigrig generator.

It doesn't pull 3A, just the stomp PS can supply 3A.  I think the max current draw is just over 1A.

Works fine with a Truetone CS7 from one of the 500ma outputs, but they can supply more current that their labels suggest.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    @Wazmeister I’ve got/just bought all the gear imaginable to power my Stomp from my
    Zuma/Ojai.

Line 6 advise that the Stomp takes 9v and around 1.5a to power up and then the 1.5a drops when it’s up and running. 

I’ve got the relevant adaptors, cables, power supplies to try all the different options available so will report back.

Btw, used the Stomp for 90% of my gig last night running into a clean Badcat and I had so much great feedback about my guitar tone! More than I’ve had from using any other setup 
    Also, you’ll be lucky to find anywhere that has the current doublers cables available in stock, absolute nightmare.

Try Hotrox as that’s where I got mine recently
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    NelsonP said:

It doesn't pull 3A, just the stomp PS can supply 3A.  I think the max current draw is just over 1A.

Works fine with a Truetone CS7 from one of the 500ma outputs, but they can supply more current that their labels suggest.
    Yes, I called truetone recently to check whether I could supply the power to and atomic amplifire (800ma) from one of the 500ma outlets and they said it would be fine,  providing that you don't exceed the total current draw across all outlets.

I still don't really understand how that works. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:

Yes, I called truetone recently to check whether I could supply the power to and atomic amplifire (800ma) from one of the 500ma outlets and they said it would be fine,  providing that you don't exceed the total current draw across all outlets.

I still don't really understand how that works. 
    The blurb says it’s a switching power supply rather than transformer based. Either way it’s dead quiet and they seemed really helpful whenI asked a few questions so very happy with mine.
    @Wazmeister i justified a couple of options - tried two different “one spot” PSU’s with relevant adaptor for 2.5mm barrel and these did not seem to power the Stomp even though they put out 1700mA.

Tried the Voodoo Labs current doubler again with relevant 2.1mm/2.5mm adaptor from two ports on my Zuma and this worked perfectly!
  • steelcustomguitarssteelcustomguitars Frets: 35
    edited April 2019
    @Wazmeister ;;;
    been using the Ojai to power my hx stomp for a while now and it works perfectly. 

The voodoo lab ppap is what you need, then I use a regular power cable with a little 2.1- 2.5mm barrel adaptor on the end. 
    Ex-Pro DC Adapter - 2.1mm Female to 2.5mm Male https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FZ050G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XQRVCbNNS9A91
    @Wazmeister ;;;
    been using the Ojai to power my hx stomp for a while now and it works perfectly. 

The voodoo lab ppap is what you need, then I use a regular power cable with a little 2.1- 2.5mm barrel adaptor on the end. Ex-Pro DC Adapter - 2.1mm Female to 2.5mm Male https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FZ050G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XQRVCbNNS9A91
    Thanks mate, and thanks one and all - all ordered ! :)
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    I power mine from a Truetone CS7, and it does work with one outlet, but I used (for belt and braces) a current doubler across two outputs, and it works perfectly.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I have one of those switched mode power supplies that Johnny Shredfreak used to sell a few years back. Very similar to the Diago ones and around 1.5 amp (I think). 

I have a suitable adapter cable so gave it a try with the Stomp and voila! - works a treat.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Sorry for the necro bump, anyone tried powering a stomp with a Voodoo Lab 4x4? Its on the "line6 list" so I assume its ok but would like some real world use cases. 

I have a current doubling cable somewhere so I assume I just need the adaptor linked above. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Sorry for the necro bump, anyone tried powering a stomp with a Voodoo Lab 4x4? Its on the "line6 list" so I assume its ok but would like some real world use cases. 

I have a current doubling cable somewhere so I assume I just need the adaptor linked above. 
    Make sure the current doubler doesn't switch polarity ( I think the Voodoo Lab one does) otherwise you'll need the adapter to reverse it and increase the connector size.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Turns out I don't have a current doubler anyway :D