TC G system

What's Hot
alanohaganalanohagan Frets: 120
Hi,
anyone still using the TC G system?
been through Helix - loved it but ended up in a universe of tweaking and generally messing about.
been through Kemper - same as above with better amps 

*wonders if the G system will be simpler - as in less options to mess with yet still deliver fundamentally good tone or is it basically outdated now 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    It’s quite outdated and is a bit of a faff to set up with 4CM

HOWEVER! Those lush TC digital effects are stunning and it’s really user friendly if you just use it for that in the loop. 

I have the iB version for sale if you want? It’s black not silver. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • alanohaganalanohagan Frets: 120
    viz said:
    It’s quite outdated and is a bit of a faff to set up with 4CM

HOWEVER! Those lush TC digital effects are stunning and it’s really user friendly if you just use it for that in the loop. 

I have the iB version for sale if you want? It’s black not silver. 
    Thanks fella,
    the set up faff is something I’m really trying to avoid at all cost 
    seriously considering going back to pedals into the front end
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    I’ve gone to single pedals for small gigs - easier for an old man. Some in the front, some in the loop - simple. Still use the G in the loop for large gigs - I like the rack with its large tuner and lots of lights :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    I’ve gone to single pedals for small gigs - easier for an old man. Some in the front, some in the loop - simple. Still use the G in the loop for large gigs - I like the rack with its large tuner and lots of lights :)
    LOL well apparently I’m an old man too so that sounds about right 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The G System might explode your brain if you're trying to avoid faffing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Yeah I have one and I love it ...took a bit to get around the programming side and would need to look at the manual to to it again but the sounds in it are great ...it's handy cos it will change my amp channel as well and stops me jumping on multiple pedals to get back where I was ...I can add any Fx with one step and channel change 

I'm not sure iff these have drives ..distortions ECT cos I have never needed them or looked foe them...I have mine set for rev..delay ..pitch shift..chorus ...boost ...compressor ...it also has a handy loop to add any pedals...

Best way for me is I have the brain part in a small 2 u rack and use the long Usb lead for plugging into the controller so all I have on stage is the footswitch supplied by the usb cable ....also I have made any switches I don't use not usable by tying them off so they can't be switched...I think I use it as a very simple unit but Fx and switching make it worthwhile.. .I havnt tried Helix...headrush ECT..I think they do similar things 
  • If you struggled with Helix then steer well clear of the G-System. 

G-System is pretty good for the money now (used) but honestly I found it impossible to use in 4cm without it altering the basic sound of my amp to some degree.
  • Barney said:
    Yeah I have one and I love it ...took a bit to get around the programming side and would need to look at the manual to to it again but the sounds in it are great ...it's handy cos it will change my amp channel as well and stops me jumping on multiple pedals to get back where I was ...I can add any Fx with one step and channel change 

I'm not sure iff these have drives ..distortions ECT cos I have never needed them or looked foe them...I have mine set for rev..delay ..pitch shift..chorus ...boost ...compressor ...it also has a handy loop to add any pedals...

Best way for me is I have the brain part in a small 2 u rack and use the long Usb lead for plugging into the controller so all I have on stage is the footswitch supplied by the usb cable ....also I have made any switches I don't use not usable by tying them off so they can't be switched...I think I use it as a very simple unit but Fx and switching make it worthwhile.. .I havnt tried Helix...headrush ECT..I think they do similar things 
    It doesn't have any drives but if you had a Nova Drive it could be controlled from the G System using a midi cable

• If you struggled with Helix then steer well clear of the G-System. 

G-System is pretty good for the money now (used) but honestly I found it impossible to use in 4cm without it altering the basic sound of my amp to some degree.
    yeah it was a complete bitch, setting the gain levels was an art and you also needed a buffer before the guitar input. Although that was semi rectified in the later editions 
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited April 2019
    The manual was also crap and if it hadn't been for the legendary Laird Williams White Paper then im not sure how many people would have actually got their G rigs working at all!

http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-system-configuration-and-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

I'll be honest though, I do miss it. I had it in a rack with a Marshall JMP-1 and a 100 watt a side power amp and a pedal drawer and two 4x12's. Those were the days!
  • The manual was also crap and if it hadn't been for the legendary Laird Williams White Paper then im not sure how many people would have actually got their G rigs working at all!

http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-system-configuration-and-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

I'll be honest though, I do miss it. I had it in a rack with a Marshall JMP-1 and a 100 watt a side power amp and a pedal drawer and two 4x12's. Those were the days!
    I’m not one to shy away from a heavy amp but I’m sweating just thinking about shifting that set up! Bet it sounded glorious though.

I had mine in a castle cases rack with a Mesa Roadster, ISP Decimator and drawer used with a 4x12. Couldn’t even fit my rig into my car all at once.
  • The manual was also crap and if it hadn't been for the legendary Laird Williams White Paper then im not sure how many people would have actually got their G rigs working at all!

I’m not one to shy away from a heavy amp but I’m sweating just thinking about shifting that set up! Bet it sounded glorious though.

I had mine in a castle cases rack with a Mesa Roadster, ISP Decimator and drawer used with a 4x12. Couldn’t even fit my rig into my car all at once.
    now we're talking! ISP Decimators, VHT Valvulators and Furman power conditioners! Gear just isnt as much fun these days.

Honestly it was horrifically heavy; 12 unit rack with the 100/100 Marshall power amp, JMP-1, G System brain, power conditioner, the drawer with about 8 pedals on it and a Boss Ad-5 DI for acoustic and all the cabling argh its giving me back ache just thinking about it. I had dented my car with it so many times too trying to get it in the door
    Thanks all,
    With ref to the Helix I should be completely fair and point out that it was never a struggle to make patches or even snap shots within patches - the unit was first class to be fair and I had plenty of fun with it. Probably looked at the manual twice in 3 years.

just got a little bored with it