Keeping Band Mates Happy

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Thought it be a good idea to actually start the thread I hinted at in the other one.

What's some good advice on how to keep bands happy and running smoothly?

I'd possibly say to treat it like you would office colleague conversions, I.e. not getting too deeply in to controversial subjects, act accepting of their view points even if you don't agree.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited April 2019
    No religion or politics is a good rule for anyone that you don't know incredibly well imo.

And that means telling others that its off topic and no just keeping your own opinions back.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26459
    Do what you say you're going to.
    Don't noodle while people are talking.
    Show up on time.
    Learn your shit.

There's really no more to it than that. It astonishes me that at least one member in every band (ie 20-25% of musicians out there) find it hard to reach that basic level of human decency, but there you go... ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • A deep bag of scotch eggs and a pint each.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    @digitalscream is spot on. Just do your homework and help with the gear, it's easy. 

We have varying levels of ability and experience in our band, but all (finally) put in the same effort. 

It took a while to get here tbh, we had one member I had to have serious words with, but luckily he's the one who needs the money the most so lining up his replacement was all it took. 

I still drop him to the subs bench occasionally just to keep him in line. That sounds really harsh, but we had 18 months of him hiding around the corner in his car to dodge the load in, thinking we didn't know. 
    2reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Don’t fuck their girlfriends.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    You've obviously never depped for The Cucks
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    JerkMoans said:
    You've obviously never depped for The Cucks
    Is there an application process? :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Our last bassist and our other guitarist fell out over Brexit and us not doing freebies for family members (something we'd always done). So have an agreed policy on most band scenarios like this.

Expanding on "Learn your shit": Tell them when you think they nailed something particularly well... or at least acknowledge how hard they've worked on something (this has worked wonders recently for us). 

Agree extra roles. Mine are recording us, managing (and storing) our lights system and running Twitter, YT and Insta stuff. Load in is everyone unless you're injured in some way.

We're lucky in that everyone wants it to work and have been on the receiving end of less desirable behaviour previously.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    My main issues with my band all fall under these (usually via WhatsApp/online messages)

Say thank you if I get you a gig or gigs
    Say thank you when I send you payment for aforementioned gigs
    When I ask you a direct question, reply, dont ignore it
    Dont moan like fuck on the day of the gig about the load in time/money/venue/distance when you dont book ANY gigs yourself
    Learn to update the calendar with your availability
    Don't moan about the set list when you don't suggest new songs. 
    Do pull your weight and if you don't, don't shit the bed when a gigs fiinders fee is suggested
    Dont moan that's it's "your pa" and threat to only put your vocals through it and then expect the band to pay for a new PA stand

But the big as said earlier on:

Do what you say your going to do.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    If it's not an originals band and you don't have a particular focus as a group, just grit your teeth and play "Mustang Sally", "All Right Now" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Live" for the 10,000th time because the punters love them and the landlord is paying for you to entertain his customers and keep them drinking.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Help with the load in and learn what gear is what and when it’s required. Remember the lyrics (to your own songs!)
  • Obviously helps if you are all friends to start with, but if not, then be a team player, no egos. Share duties and learn your parts, be in tune, on time and don't be a knob. Be contactable easily and don't create drama. Just be easy to get along with and ditch the attitude.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Jetfire said:
    My main issues with my band all fall under these (usually via WhatsApp/online messages)

Dont moan like fuck on the day of the gig about the load in time/money/venue/distance when you dont book ANY gigs yourself
    Do pull your weight and if you don't, don't shit the bed when a gigs fiinders fee is suggested
    Dont moan that's it's "your pa" and threat to only put your vocals through it and then expect the band to pay for a new PA stand

They seem to all be things you want others to do to please you rather than anything you do to please others lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Jetfire said:

You sound like an absolute fucking nightmare.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    Bottom line, if I don't book gigs, we dont get um. So I'm allowed to be a nightmare.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Also, if expecting some some manners from people makes me a nightmare, then Im fine with being a massive cunt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    Do what you say you're going to.
    Don't noodle while people are talking.
    Show up on time.
    Learn your shit.
    Very much this.

A band is a team, so I’d add: Cut them some slack when they need it, but call them out if they take the piss. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited April 2019
    ok then

Bye!

edited April 2019
    thegummy said:
    Jetfire said:

They seem to all be things you want others to do to please you rather than anything you do to please others lol
    It's kinda what you should do as a nice human being. I do all of the above, just grips my shit when Im the one doing all the work with no thanks and just constant moaning. I did a thread else where talking about my current feelings on the band.  As I said  earlier, if I dont do it, we dont get gigs. 

I agree with all of the above!