Keeping Band Mates Happy

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14413
    edited April 2019
    I like the Duke Ellington answer. “I give ‘em money.”
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When someone arrives at a gig / practice , with a car full of half a ton of gear... go out and help them bring it in...
    Julian

Owner of the New (in 2019) guitar shop in Frome, Somerset. Coffee House Guitars. Selling a range of high end used guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• 8. Make jokes about fucking each others mums - the more gratuitous the better.

A cautionary tale:

At my band's last practice the drummer started making crude "Yo' Mama" jokes to the singer, sadly he wasn't aware that the singer's mother died of cancer a couple of years ago! :o  

Queue a mega-awkward atmosphere for the rest of the rehearsal!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I've always called it the band arsehole..  I think every band needs one...  I think it's similar your rule 14.  There has to be someone to at the end of the day to make the decision, tell the drummer the shut the fuck up and to generally herd the cats.

Doesn't have to be an arsehole about it though :)
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    22. Don't start a second thread all of your own when a perfectly good thread on the same topic already exists.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    isn't rule no 1 don't be a dick 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnr said:
    22. Don't start a second thread all of your own when a perfectly good thread on the same topic already exists.
    I didn't see it until after I made this thread. Anyway, that other thread is shit.

Bye!

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    prlgmnr said:
    Ah, but isn’t the whole forum all about regurgitating the same old questions?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • In addition to 4 and 5...

Particularly for cover bands, if you don't like a song suggestion, say so. Don't make everyone else learn it and keep turning up, week after week,  saying, "I've not looked at it yet."

Band practice is not the time to learn your part.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    fandango said:
    Ah, but isn’t the whole forum all about regurgitating the same old questions?
    What if there were no rhetorical questions? :confounded: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    Personally I like number 21. Seems like the most common thing to happen out of this list  ;)
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Actually, 18 is really important on this one .in the other thread, this sums up my rant
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    prlgmnr said:
    ^^^ This.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    Get a drum machine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I think the most important thing is to establish a convention and stick to it.

One band I played in did learn songs at practice deliberately. They had two practices a week with one set aside for this. I initially whinged about it but then realized that it was what they had done for years and worked for them. I eventually agreed to only attend the set run through practices and that worked really well.

Similarly I've detailed on here how I was in a band where someone set up a really elaborate song selection process involving excel spreadsheets and voting and then totally ignored the results.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    prlgmnr said:
    ^^^ This.

Stop being grumpy penises. We don't all moan over the 500 Les Paul threads, which tubescreamer threads, transparent drive, do we like relics etc
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    edited April 2019
    23. Don't be a grumpy penis.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Get the drummer to play an electric kit, his volume is then a collective decision ;) (plus you can deafen him in his foldback mix so he still thinks he's playing loud ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    In addition to 4 and 5...

Particularly for cover bands, if you don't like a song suggestion, say so. Don't make everyone else learn it and keep turning up, week after week,  saying, "I've not looked at it yet."

Band practice is not the time to learn your part.
    It happens all the time. Sometimes it's me.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Learn your shit, or learn you're shit.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom