Mains noise remover - any suggestions?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
I have finally discovered the source of the buzzing that sometimes appears through my studio monitors

It's the hygrostat-controlled humidifiers that I use to keep my guitars happy

How can I stop the humidifiers injecting noise into the mains?

Or is it cheaper to filter the power into my studio gear?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Turn the humidifiers off when you’re using the monitors...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    The usual approach is to have audio on a dedicated power supply in a studio and other machinery on another. Is there a spare supply on your fuseboard?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    Whistler said:
    The usual approach is to have audio on a dedicated power supply in a studio and other machinery on another. Is there a spare supply on your fuseboard?
    probably, but too far across the house to do cheaply

ICBM said:
    Turn the humidifiers off when you’re using the monitors...
    I leave them on all the time, very annoying to get random buzzing
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    ToneControl said:

I understand that, but why not just turn them off when you're using the monitors? It's not as if humidifiers need to be run continuously - especially not somewhere like the UK... not even this weekend.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Put them on a timer so they only come on overnight or something, so they’re guaranteed to be off when you’re playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited April 2019
    Out of desperation I tried a Behringer hum canceller.
    Worked.  100%. 
    I've no idea how it works and I actually had to take it out and put it back just to check that the hum was still there without it.  It was.  I didn't think a punt of less than £20 would do anything but it totally fixed the problem at absolutely no cost of audio quality.  Sharing the info in case it helps.
    Grunfeld said:
    Out of desperation I tried a Behringer hum canceller.
    Worked.  100%. 
    I've no idea how it works and I actually had to take it out and put it back just to check that the hum was still there without it.  It was.  I didn't think a punt of less than £20 would do anything but it totally fixed the problem at absolutely no cost of audio quality.  Sharing the info in case it helps.
    I have one of those, which worked for the purpose I had it for

These monitors are self-powered Focal monitors, and have balanced XLR line inputs, so that approach is not needed, this hum is from the power amps in the speakers, even with the input mixer switched off, and even with the XLR plugs disconnected from the speaker inputs
    mart said:
    Put them on a timer so they only come on overnight or something, so they’re guaranteed to be off when you’re playing.
    could do, but it would defeat my plan of keeping humidity constant all day. It does vary over the day quite a lot in the winter
    ICBM said:
    ToneControl said:

I understand that, but why not just turn them off when you're using the monitors? It's not as if humidifiers need to be run continuously - especially not somewhere like the UK... not even this weekend.
    I use them as my main hifi and PC monitors too
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4997
    If you didn't buy bamboo cable lifters then it's your own fault. 
    I know where you can get some at a very reasonable price.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom