MJW Bantam v MJW Roadstar 18

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
Gas has taken control, I have been eyeing up these two amps (either combo or head preferred cab advice needed also as I don’t have a clue) I already have a PRRI but I am wanting to add a different flavour to my setup, looking for something that’s portable and good for my bad back, non fussy with pedals including Boss overdrives (I don’t have any boutique stuff) I love the fender cleans and blackface break-up and ideally I would love to own a 64-67 bassman head (never going to happen!!!) I wouldn’t mind a bit of classic Vox or Marshall something a lot more ballsy, I like rock/alternative stuff/experimental. Would be using mainly at home but would be using at future gigs and rehearsals. Help greatly appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7847
    edited April 2019
    2x12 closed back cab with Alinco Blues for the Roaster will sound freaking awesome. Mine does!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I have a Roadstar 18 combo with 10 inch speaker - fantastic amp. If you search youtube mine is the bright blue one that has samples of clean , overdrive and boosted overdrive. I mainly use mine at home but did gig it for a couple of years. 

I am going in the opposite direction and have just ordered a rift amp for fender type sounds. The MJW is staying though
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    edited April 2019 tFB Trader
    I've had a Goldstar and a Roadstar.

Great amps, really well made and amazing value for money considering the craftsmanship that goes into them. If you compare one to a modern factory produced amp it's night and day how much better made they are.

It's a modified 18 watt Marshall circuit so it's very much warm spongy vintage Marshall cleans rather than a sparkly blackface thing.

Takes pedals really well and very giggable if you aren't going to need clean cleans.

Edit: I should also mention MJW can probably make you a bassman if that's what you really want. I'm pretty sure they do custom orders.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    2x12 closed back cab with Alinco Blues for the Roaster will sound freaking awesome. Mine does!
    Hi @TheMarlin if you don’t mind me asking? how much did you pay for both the cab and head? 
  • Seriously tempted by the Bantam also, as a combo how would it fair for gig and rehearsal use? 2x guitarist 1 x bass 1 x drummer would I get drowned out?
  • I've had a Goldstar and a Roadstar.

Great amps, really well made and amazing value for money considering the craftsmanship that goes into them. If you compare one to a modern factory produced amp it's night and day how much better made they are.

It's a modified 18 watt Marshall circuit so it's very much warm spongy vintage Marshall cleans rather than a sparkly blackface thing.

Takes pedals really well and very giggable if you aren't going to need clean cleans.

Edit: I should also mention MJW can probably make you a bassman if that's what you really want. I'm pretty sure they do custom orders.
    Fueling the Gas @monquixote ;
    Seriously tempted by the Bantam also, as a combo how would it fair for gig and rehearsal use? 2x guitarist 1 x bass 1 x drummer would I get drowned out?
    I use mine at rehearsal as is but for gigs I mic it up as the 1x10 is quite directional and we put both guitars through pa for a bit of spread rather than volume
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7847
    TheMarlin said:
    Hi @TheMarlin if you don’t mind me asking? how much did you pay for both the cab and head? 
    I paid nearly as much for the cab as the head. The head is for sale, but I’m considering keeping it. Like it too much. 

Every time I go to sell something, I end up falling back in love with it.  The MJW is by far the more flexible of my amps,  I can never sell my 5E3, and my Gibson amp isn’t worth much, but sound freakin’ awesome through that 2x12 cab. Boutique amp killer!
  • sw67 said:
    Seriously tempted by the Bantam also, as a combo how would it fair for gig and rehearsal use? 2x guitarist 1 x bass 1 x drummer would I get drowned out?
    I use mine at rehearsal as is but for gigs I mic it up as the 1x10 is quite directional and we put both guitars through pa for a bit of spread rather than volume
    Ok that’s great, would you say it has a bit more ooomff than a Princeton? loving your blue Roadstar in picture btw
    I have never used a Princeton but I would think so. My volume is never above half way and I have gigged a Vox ac15 , Marshall JCM2000 and Fender Blues Deluxe in the same band. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader

It's heavily determined by the band.
    In the soul band I played in the Roadstar would have been loud enough but too dirty at that volume level. In the rock/pop covers band I depped for it would have been spot on.

I have played with two guitar rock bands where it would have been completely blown away as everything was always cranked up stupid loud, but I don't play with people like that if I can avoid it.
  • I love my Roadstar 36.  As others have said, it's a great pedal platform.  I've gigged it a couple of times through a vertical 2x12, which gives plenty of oomph with good spread at the same time.

For me the 36 has plenty of headroom - in fact I'm pondering having power scaling fitted so that I can get a bit of grind at sensible volumes.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    Hi @builttospill ;

Just give Martin a quick shout and he can build you the spec you want. I have just ordered a MJW Twang King Blackface style amp from him. 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited April 2019
    I have a Roadstar 18 combo 1x12 in an oversized cab. It is plenty loud enough in my rock / pop covers band and with a greenback it cuts through brilliantly.

With built in boost circuit it covers a lot of ground from voxy cleans to 70’s JMP high gain. Killer amp!

Not tried the Bantam though so probably not a lot of use to you :)
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    edited April 2019
    Hi @builttospill ;;

Just give Martin a quick shout and he can build you the spec you want. I have just ordered a MJW Twang King Blackface style amp from him. 
    Thanks! @guitartango will do!
  • I have a Bantam with a 5E3 front end, but to me it sounds more like a Marshall than a 5E3. Huge amounts of bass and great for that slightly dirty, cleanish tone. These are very portable amps that still put out about 18w.
  • I have a Bantam with a 5E3 front end, but to me it sounds more like a Marshall than a 5E3. Huge amounts of bass and great for that slightly dirty, cleanish tone. These are very portable amps that still put out about 18w.
    Do you reckon it’s loud enough for gigs? 
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    edited April 2019
    Another question and probably worth me speaking to @martinw ;himself, but which head or combo from the MJW range would be closer sounding to a 64'-67' Blackface Bassman? 
    Must admit that @TheMarlin ;Roadstar 36 in the classifieds is causing a bit of an itch but I think I'd definitely need power scaling to avoid separation from my family.  
  • I think @shaunm has some experience of both of these amps at gig volumes.
  • Also, have a look at Martin's thread in the Made in the UK section, as there is a Bassman type Electra on page 2.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom