Schallers S lock strap locks

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
edited April 2019 in Guitar
Has anyone used the new S lock strap locks on their Les Paul's? The blurb states they are a direct replacement for Gibson guitars, is this the case or will I have to glue in toothpicks to fit them like the originals? Thank you in advance for your advice.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 232
    edited April 2019
    The screw threads are larger than the old black screw ones and they are a fixed part of the strap button, using a hex key to screw them in now.  They are OK on my guitars, I didn't need any additional packing into the holes and they haven't worked loose yet! 
    The strap ends are better too as they use a small set screw to stop the screw on fixing collar working loose (no need to superglue the nut on.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    There was a thread on this a couple of months ago. My experience is that I prefer the old style. The new pins are one piece (screw welded to strap button) so “fixed angle”. They therefore won’t sit down symmetrically unless the previous strap pin was drilled perfectly from factory. That’s more variable than you might think. The previous design allowed a bit of play between screw and button which accommodated a less than perpendicular still hole.

I also find find the new mechanism harder to release one handed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you for your replies, I've ordered a set so fingers crossed there won't be any modification needed just a straight swap.
  • ZukabakZukabak Frets: 19
    I added multiple sets to four of my guitars the other day (A Gibson Les Paul, Greco EGF1200, PRS P24 and PRS SE) all sets fit perfectly and I never needed to pack out or re-drill any holes etc. :)

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Zukabak said:
    I added multiple sets to four of my guitars the other day (A Gibson Les Paul, Greco EGF1200, PRS P24 and PRS SE) all sets fit perfectly and I never needed to pack out or re-drill any holes etc. :)

Perfect, thank you.