fingerstyle guitar advice

What's Hot
RyderRyder Frets: 3
Hi. just looking for some advice on the type of acoustic to get.

would like to learn some fingerstyle. play electric on my left knee so presume classical position will suit best. Smaller sizes appeal so concert or grand auditorium models are the ones I'm looking at. 

any other advice other than fit or an I way off track?

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’m sure others will chime in. For the best part of 30 years I’ve used the Washburn ea series which has that small florentine style with a neck that feels similar to an electric (59 Gibson kind of size). 

I still have that that but now use a Martin om21 which has a wider fretboard & is really great for fingerstyle but is suited to traditional finger style aka Clapton unplugged etc. 

The Martin is the better guitar for sure but the Washburn is really fast and has upper fret access
  • RyderRyder Frets: 3
    Thanks. I've been looking at the tanglewood 130 (as it's stocked locally). Just wanted to check that I didn't need a minimum fretboard width or something.

coming from a telecaster, acoustics seem huge so a smaller model attracts
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fishfingersfishfingers Frets: 103
    Don't sweat it. Try some acoustic guitars in the shops and/or take some lessons and play your teacher's guitar. Ask your guitar playing mates if they have an acoustic you could borrow. Try and get a feel for what feels right for you - there are no rules about size, nut width or anything else. Focus on a good sounding instrument that is easy to play. You shouldn't need to spend a lot, and it's certain that your tastes will develop and change over time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I’m a bit backwards. I prefer picking on a 1 11/16 neck and strumming a 1 3/4
    00 or 000 are great sizes. For me it’s about either controlling the bass or having a guitar that doesn’t give too much. Dreads can be hard work to a. Control the big bass and b. Work them hard enough to get the best from the soundboard. 
    These problems disappear with a 000, a reason they sound so good picked. 
    This could all be guff as Theres tons of people who sound great picking a dred....
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    In very general terms, the OM and 000 sizes tend to be favoured for the clarity of picking and the dreadnoughts for the smoothness of strumming.  But as folks above say, there are exceptions.  Some do both very competently, others do neither.

Also, how well you play depends on how you gel with the guitar and how you play.  Over the knee, a dreadnought is a mighty beast...more to do with the depth of body than the width or length.

Best way is going to one of the larger stores and trying loads.  The one you are happy with will jump out at you.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I took a day trip to Guitar Village and tried lots out. I'd do the same at Coda now as they have an acoustic shop. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3615
    I sold my dread' because it was too big for me to play comfortably and bought a Baby Taylor. However my reference point was mandolin so most guitars would appear massive. There were many other models that were as comfortable to play but I preferred the sound of the Taylor
  • RyderRyder Frets: 3
    just to update. Got a Seagull S6 Folk which is perfect so far.  Thanks for the advice 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    I prefer to fingerpick on Jumbos and dreads
    They sound much better to me.