charvel volume pot

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
edited April 2019 in Guitar
My friend has this oldish (80s?)charvel strat lookalike guitar and the volume pot is way mental

I am aware of the linear/audio pots and so on but this particular pot is totally silent from the off position until it reaches around 75% of travel, then  the sound comes in.WTF is that all about, a faulty pot or did they actually make pots like this?

FTR the volume and tone pots are both scratchy......and the tone pot works the other way,the first 20% of travel is where all the tone changes take place
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Oh, something else struck me as odd......no neck pick up end truss rod adjustment or headstock end.......so the neck has to come off for adjustments?
    tae be or not tae be
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited April 2019
    Warmoth used to do a 90 degree "Side-Drive" truss rod adjuster. apparently made by Gotoh !

I don't know lots about Charvels but it might be worth looking to see if there is one, maybe around the neck heel ?
    Possibly through the heel and maybe a small hole in the neck plate to stick a hex driver though?
    It'd be worth taking the neck off quickly and inspecting the heel completely with it off the guitar to be sure before actually trying the adjuster, ... if there even is one.
    I don't know how far back that design goes or whether it's a very modern thing....or maybe a dream....

I'm probably not helping at this point.

Good luck.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited April 2019
    I've got an S type with a 50's style allparts neck and the truss rod adjustment is hidden at the "neck pickup" end.  You can loosen the screws and tilt it to get access...you can find vids on youtube of this being done in the Fender factory back in the day
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    The volume pot sounds faulty. The tone might just be a Linear used where it should be a Log. I would replace both with decent-quality pots, Log for both or Linear for volume if he doesn't like a fast roll-off down from 10.

Truss rod adjusters are sometimes hidden under fretboard overhangs or locking nuts on superstrat type guitars.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Thanks guys  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    hootsmon said:
    My friend has this oldish (80s?)charvel strat lookalike guitar and the volume pot is way mental
    What shape is the headstock? Does the Charvel logo appear to be in the shape of an electric guitar or does the lettering look as if it has been written in toothpaste squeezed from a tube? Finally, is there a decal with any letters and numbers towards the end of the headstock?

ICBM said:
    hootsmon said:
    no neck pick up end truss rod adjustment or headstock end.......so the neck has to come off for adjustments? 
    Truss rod adjusters are sometimes hidden under fretboard overhangs.
    I have an early Nineties CX492 bass guitar that is built exactly that way.

Slacken the strings, slacken the neck screws, tilt the neck up, whack the appropriate tool into the adjuster in the heel. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.