MIJ v CIJ v Mexican Fender...quality and values...any differences?

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
edited April 2019 in Guitar
Hi guys,

I appreciate that Made in Japan had to be contractually changed to Crafted in Japan when Fender switched manufacturer. MIJ are older, CIJ are newer. Time line below (for those interested).

My question relates to whether there are any differences in quality and value for the equivalent MIJ and CIJ guitar.  In particular I'm looking to buy a 1972 reissue Fender Thinline Telecaster. 

The next question is how does the Japanese versions of the 72 Thinline compare to the Mexican versions? 

Any experience, thoughts, wisdom welcome!

1982: Fender Japan starts production with FujiGen Gakki having the manufacturing contract. The "Made in Japan" (MIJ) logo is used.

1984: CBS sells Fender to its current owners and while waiting for a new US factory to begin production, Fender Japan models and leftover US stock were mostly sold in the US for a few years.

1993: The first "Crafted in Japan" (CIJ) models start appearing due to Dyna Gakki taking over some of the manufacturing while FujiGen Gakki were expanding their operations.

1996/1997: "Crafted in Japan" (CIJ) is used instead of "Made in Japan" (MIJ) because Tōkai Gakki and Dyna Gakki take over the manufacturing contract from FujiGen Gakki.

2015: Fender, Yamano and Kanda Shokai end the Fender Japan joint-venture on March 31, 2015. Fender took over the Japanese business effective April 1, 2015.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9168
    Quality- in my view no difference. Both are very well made. Value- only if you’re talking early MIJ, but some people will try and pedal some snake oil.

I haven’t played a Japanese 72 thinline, but had a Mexican and it was very nicely put together and a generally great guitar for the money, I’d recommend getting pickups rewound so they sound more like the originals (see Creamery or catswhiskers) but that’s about it. Only sold mine because of vintage radius and frets. Probably should have just got it refretted 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • smooresmoore Frets: 30
    Apologies I can't comment on the Mexico vs Japan debate, but I bought a Mexican Thinline from the classified section on here, and the next and fingerboard feel easily as nice as my US Tele.

And sounds awesome!
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3040
    I have a CIJ Strat (68 reissue) which I've had since 2000. The quality is very very good. I've never A/B'd it with any other Strat so I cant tell you how it compares. All I can say is the Tokai era Fenders are great and I've struggled to find another Strat that I thought was better.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11415
    I've owned 3 Japanese Fenders and two Classic Series Mexican Fenders.  Still own one of each.  I've played others in shops as well.  Overall, I prefer the Mexican Classic Series to the Japanese ones.

I'm not so sure about the Mexican Standard Series guitars though.  They aren't as good as the Classic Series instruments.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    The only meaningful test is to play as many different examples as you can. Buy the one(s) that feel and sound right to you.
    Be seeing you.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7746
    The only strat I’ve ever got on with is my Mexican Classic Player 50’s. 
    Had USA, Japanese, and Custom Shop models. Mex strat was lovingly upgraded by previous owner, he did all the things I would have considered doing. End result is my perfect strat, plays beautifully, sounds mega, feels even better! Love that neck!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    I have had  a Squier JV Strat  ,Fender Japan Aerodyne Tele MIJ and Fender Japan TN-SPL  CIJ(thinline /maple/Texas Specials and neck humbucker ) and an MIJ  ST 75 Strat  loaded body. All were fine .I have had a Blacktop strat MIM ,an FSR  Blacktop Jaguar ,both fine MIM  model and no Fender USA  except an HW1 body .The Aerodyne had squibby electrics and doubtful pickups .The TN -SPL was really well made high end I would say above  MIM at the time .The Blacktop strat was OK but the Jaguar was a fine instrument  which I would have kept except for being heavy .My only USA guitar is a Gibson Midtown  which knocks them all on quality .My next strat will be a Player series MIM  which I consider above Fender Japan .You have to be careful as many older MIJ/CIJ  are 7.5 radius  and squibby pickups and electrics .
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I own a Fujigen Gakki made Fender Esprit from 1984, it's a superbly made guitar.

Probably not representative of what the op was asking as it's a set neck, but nonetheless testament to the quality they produced at that factory.

Fender Esprit Elite 1984 https://imgur.com/gallery/saphegI
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    I had a mij 62 Tele, the bound one, the guitar was great but the pickups were shoddy thin sounding things, also had mij Jaguar, same again, great guitar shit pickups. All the Mexi fenders I’ve had have either been very good or adequate in the pickup dept. Build quality between Jap and Mex is about the same I reckon. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    I had a Japanese strat, it had the typical faultless build quality and smooth finish feel to it. Then I bought a cheap and battered Mexi Strat because the colour turned my eye. The quality is nowhere near the CIJ guitar. 

However, the Mexi just felt better to hold abs after a while, I’d never go to pick up the ‘nicer’ guitar. So I sold it and kept the battered old dog.
  • I was interested in a few Japanese models (big headstock Strats), but they all had narrower nut widths; usually 41mm, but sometimes 40mm.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    I've got a 2003 MIM Tele I've had since release and no other Tele has come close. I've tried lots of different ones in shops and from friends, including some lovely American ones, but nothing seems to hit the spot like mine. I think I was very lucky though. 

I used to have a 62 Reissue Jap Strat (I want to say it was CIJ but can't remember) which never felt right to me, but that's probably more to do with the 62 feel of the neck. It suffered from crackly pots as most guitars do, and a loose jack slot at times. Could never quite get it to stay perfectly in tune even with the trem blocked off but I think it needed a proper setup with the action raising etc. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I have a seriously beaten up 86 MIJ strat which feels and sounds better to me than a classic player 50s strat I had which felt very plasticky.  Did like the 57/62 pickups though.  The pots have been upgraded in the MIJ but original pickups.  Whether its because its so worn in or not I don't know.

Although to be fair I had a squier standard strat which I upgraded the wiring and tuners and it was brilliant.  Had it not had an unfinished neck that I didn't like I would have kept that.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    For recent guitars, the best guide is probably the RRP when new

Fender could build USA-quality guitars in China if they wanted to, most brands have tried various hierarchies where country of manufacture ends up as shorthand for quality level, but it does not have to work like that.  

For instance, I have a classical guitar made in China that is better and more expensive than Pro ones from Spain
    I've had Korean-made Schecters as good as USA strats, Japanese Ibanez semis that are better than Gibsons

Fender and Gibson are probably locked into making their top-level stuff in the USA for branding reasons

Therefore you need to know what market segment and manufacturing spec each run of guitars was built for.
    I bought some pawn-shop fenders a few years ago, the Japanese ones were much better than the Mexican, but the new RRP was higher too

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7735
    I had a MIM 72, good guitar and nice beck but the finish on these and other MIM models was too thick. Would buy a MIJ/CIJ if I had the option and change out the pickups.
  • I've had a few fujigen guitars.   They were all great.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3897
    edited April 2019
    Recent MIM guitars have been great in my experience. I think they have caught up with the quality of the Japanese made Fenders, but they are obviously closer in price now too.

I think the introduction of the Classic Player series was a turning point for MIM, the Baja and the 50s/60s Strats in particular. Now they offer some great stuff, like the TVL Jazzmaster, Road worns etc.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 842
    I currently have a Japanese Paisley telecaster and a Mexican Roadworn Strat.
    Build quality on both is great and both play superbly.
    The switch and pots on the tele have been replaced (along with the pickups, but only because of personal preference - nowt wrong with the original pickups. They are currently in another guitar that my mate loves).
    The switch has been changed on the strat, but only because I wanted a super switch to give me neck/bridge in position 3.

Play lots, find one you love and then play the strings off it.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Thanks guys...Interesting, pretty evenly split between mim and Japanese  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I have a '91 MIJ Squier Strat and it's the best I have ever played to point where I got rid of all other electrics to play this...

No photo description available

I can honestly say that I don't need another guitar. It does everything I need.