Book recommendations?

the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
I’ve recently finished reading the Jack Reacher series of books and now have some reading space that could do with filling. I know they’re not the most high brow of books but could anyone recommend anything along similar lines to the Reachers please.

cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mrs Vampire swears by Ian Rankin. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    For those kinds of entertaining novels I like Lawrence Block and Ed Mc Bain. Harlan Coben's not bad but all his books seem to end in a massive American style shoot-out which I find very tedious.
    James Ellroy and Elmore Leonard are great for a more gangsterish style.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1231
    Ian Rankin's Rebus novels are good, but then they are set in my local city :-)

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed James Patterson's Alex Cross series. Some plot lines are quite far fetched American, but they are brilliant fast paced books to read.

Or if you want crime with a bit more substance, Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books are fantastic (Norwegian set), along with Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Ryhme books.
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 408
    Adrian McKinty - Dead I May Well Be trilogy for gangsterish stuff (a bit different are his Sean Duffy thrillers set in 1980s Belfast) 
    George P. Pelecanos - several short series and some very good stand-alone novels
    Tara French: the Dublin Murder Mysteries is a fantastic series
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I read all the Wallander / Hemming Mankell novels once upon a time. I'd say they aren't dumb but they aren't highbrow either. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • My two favourite series at the moment are Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London and the Fractured Europe series by Dave Hutchinson.
    If you want some pulp fiction in the style of a Dan Brown/Lee Child mash-up you could do worse than the Ben Hope series by Scott Mariani.  I dip in and out of these for escapism.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Something like the Chris Ryan books if you want similar to Reacher. 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Iceberg Slims books are brilliant for some good old street hustler pimpy type stuff
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    The Vince Flynn novels are very good if you like the Reacher style books.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    Some excellent suggestions here and plenty for me to look into. Thanks everyone 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Michael Connelly's Bosch series should keep you quiet (more books than Reacher)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    the_jaffa said:
    I’ve recently finished reading the Jack Reacher series of books and now have some reading space that could do with filling. I know they’re not the most high brow of books but could anyone recommend anything along similar lines to the Reachers please.

cheers
    The Dave Robicheaux series of books by James Lee Burke are in a very similar vein and whilst I haven't read all of them yet I have read the Reacher series and prefer Dave personally.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22716
    The Bernie Gunther books by Philip Kerr are good.  Slightly different from some of the other things mentioned because they're set in the 1930s to 1950s, rather than the present day, but I think they might appeal.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    Val McDermid's Tony Hill and Carol Jordan series. Superb writing and expert plotting throughout.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Read the First Blood novel.  Slightly different to the movie very well written
  • dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 110
    edited April 2019
    I found Andrew Peterson's Nathan McBride stuff enjoyable to read in a Reacher'ish style.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Kent Anderson - Green Sun

Anderson has only written 3 or 4 books but I think they can be read as stand-alones. Green Sun is the most recent but Sympathy For The Devil, Night Dogs then Green Sun is the order to read them in.

Ex special forces guy turned cop then English teacher writing about an ex special forces guy turned cop. The books are a lot more thoughtful than that might make them sound.