Who does good wiring harnesses these days ?

What's Hot
MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
I had a Mojo Pickups harness in a Tele and it was great, made a significant difference to my eyes (pipe down if you think it's all bollocks!)

Mojo aren't taking orders at the moment, where else can I get something similar ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    edited April 2019
    Try Oil City Pickups. They've done a couple of Tele harnesses for me. First class. I
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    edited April 2019
    @sixstringsupplies Had a prewired Les Paul harness from him, very nicely put together
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    It looks like Monty do one too  I've heard very good things about their stuff

• Jimbro66 said:
    Try Oil City Pickups. They've done a couple of Tele harnesses for me. First class. I
    This. 
    I’d never realised soldering could be aesthetically pleasing until my Esquire harness arrived!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    oldfoxy said:
    @sixstringsupplies Had a prewired Les Paul harness from him, very nicely put together
    used @sixstringsupplies for such looms in the past if I've had such a project that requires them
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    oldfoxy said:
    used @sixstringsupplies for such looms in the past if I've had such a project that requires them
    Another recommendation for @sixstringsupplies from me.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    edited April 2019 tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    For the time being the ridiculous chopping of dealer margins by UK wholesalers that means we make just over a quid on a CTS pot ... or a couple of quid on a CRL switch has lead us to pull out of harness making. I was insisting on using top quality components ... but making in some cases less than a tenner on quite a complex rig. Not sustainable. I'm too small an operation to hold £1000 quid's worth of pots, what I'd need to turn a reasonable profit, so I reluctantly pulled out. Sad, because I enjoyed making them.  
    I'd recommend @sixstringsupplies ;
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Many thanks for the recommendations everyone.
    I would echo what @OilCityPickups said - I am probably one of the more expensive in the UK at doing harnesses. Even US wholesale prices have jumped massively since I started trading 3 years ago and you have to invest in large quantities of stock to make it economically viable. PLenty of Tele kits available though if you want one OP 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Another +1 for @sixstringsupplies

Good folks like this need our support!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    Jimbro66 said:
    For the time being the ridiculous chopping of dealer margins by UK wholesalers that means we make just over a quid on a CTS pot ... or a couple of quid on a CRL switch has lead us to pull out of harness making. I was insisting on using top quality components ... but making in some cases less than a tenner on quite a complex rig. Not sustainable. I'm too small an operation to hold £1000 quid's worth of pots, what I'd need to turn a reasonable profit, so I reluctantly pulled out. Sad, because I enjoyed making them.  
    I would echo what @OilCityPickups said - I am probably one of the more expensive in the UK at doing harnesses. Even US wholesale prices have jumped massively since I started trading 3 years ago and you have to invest in large quantities of stock to make it economically viable. PLenty of Tele kits available though if you want one OP 
    Interesting points, but to be honest, @OilCityPickups wouldn't you still get plenty of orders even if you you priced them appropriately (ie to make enough for your own business needs), factoring the margin you need to achieve?

I know I'm willing to pay a premium price for a premium product, a) because I appreciate the quality and b) because I have the soldering skills of a grey mullet. 

The only alternative for me is to ask a tech to buy the bits and do the work and then I'd possily be paying even more.  I could learn to solder, but that ain't gonna happen.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Having bought every component individually from Alegree for my tele build and wired my own harness (with an ancient technique based mainly on swearing) I learned a lot, mainly to buy a pre-wired harness next time.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    McToot said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Interesting points, but to be honest, @OilCityPickups wouldn't you still get plenty of orders even if you you priced them appropriately (ie to make enough for your own business needs), factoring the margin you need to achieve?

I know I'm willing to pay a premium price for a premium product, a) because I appreciate the quality and b) because I have the soldering skills of a grey mullet. 

The only alternative for me is to ask a tech to buy the bits and do the work and then I'd possily be paying even more.  I could learn to solder, but that ain't gonna happen.
    The issue for me is that there are a lot of cheapo harnesses out there ... particularly on the flea bay ... that use non premium far eastern pots etc ... and many people genuinely seem less worried about the quality of the components and the neatness of construction than the price ... not really an area I want to compete in. I may start making harnesses again in the future, but only when I can make a profit and am not short handed in the workshop :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    www.charlesguitars.co.uk also has a nice range of prewired harnesses.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    oldfoxy said:
    Seconded 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813

munckee said:
    Having bought every component individually from Alegree for my tele build and wired my own harness (with an ancient technique based mainly on swearing) I learned a lot, mainly to buy a pre-wired harness next time.
    Lol that tickled me because I solder with that very sane technique. Plus burns all over my fingers ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    McToot said:

The issue for me is that there are a lot of cheapo harnesses out there ... particularly on the flea bay ... that use non premium far eastern pots etc ... and many people genuinely seem less worried about the quality of the components and the neatness of construction than the price ... not really an area I want to compete in. I may start making harnesses again in the future, but only when I can make a profit and am not short handed in the workshop :-)
    Before you started offering harnesses Ash I sourced one from RS Guitarworks for my ES-335 and it was really well made but pretty expensive to bring over from the States. A couple or so years later I saw that you were offering harnesses and ordered an unusual circuit one for an Esquire. Because it was inexpensive (notice I didn't say cheap) compared to the RS one I wasn't sure what to expect but if anything it surpassed the RS harness. As @stimpsonslostson implied, yours are a work of art. It seems a shame that they are hidden inside a guitar when they deserve to be on display for all to see :D  It must be disheartening trying vainly to compete in a market of cheap imports at the same time as being squeezed by your suppliers of quality components. Hopefully you'll find that there is a market for quality harnesses in the future, albeit at a higher price point that discerning guitarists are willing to pay.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    messaged @sixstringsupplies ;
    can you pm me a price for a pre wired les paul harness for epiphone l.paul ,dont know if i would need long or short shaft ?
    thanks
    Mark
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    @mark123 PM sent 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    McToot said:

Before you started offering harnesses Ash I sourced one from RS Guitarworks for my ES-335 and it was really well made but pretty expensive to bring over from the States. A couple or so years later I saw that you were offering harnesses and ordered an unusual circuit one for an Esquire. Because it was inexpensive (notice I didn't say cheap) compared to the RS one I wasn't sure what to expect but if anything it surpassed the RS harness. As @stimpsonslostson implied, yours are a work of art. It seems a shame that they are hidden inside a guitar when they deserve to be on display for all to see :D  It must be disheartening trying vainly to compete in a market of cheap imports at the same time as being squeezed by your suppliers of quality components. Hopefully you'll find that there is a market for quality harnesses in the future, albeit at a higher price point that discerning guitarists are willing to pay.
    bless yer @Jimbro66 ; ... it's great when you get hard work appreciated. I always did little stuff, like insulating unused pot tags to prevent shorts, and shrink tubing all the solder joints ... my dad was a rocket engineer, it's how he taught me to work! Sure cheap harnesses work ... but I liked making ones as well or better than the rest of your guitar's made :-)

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Jimbro66 said:
    I use crazyparts CTS custom pots in my looms. Their prices are still viable, just about...