Who else saw John McLaughlin at the Barbican?

boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12352
Can’t find the thread now but I know at least one other person from here was planning to go?

What a stunning player. You’d never think he was 75 and suffering with arthritis. Totally on fire tonight, together with the rest of the band. I must admit I don’t like his tone much these days, with all that wobbly chorus stuff going on, but you can’t fault his technique. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Me.

Very good indeed IMO, fantastic in fact; he is 77 now and his band the 4th Dimension is easily his best line-up since the 1st Mahavishnu Orchestra.
    Gary Husband - keyboards/drums, Etienne M'Bappe - bass, and the f**kin' amazing Ranjit Barot on drums.

Mclaughlin is not so frantic as he once was, there are more slow/mid-tempo numbers these days but he still blazes. He played a PRS throughout with pedals but no amp onstage - straight into the p.a. I was very impressed by the sound - we were front row of the balcony.

A wonderful concert. Went with one of my old school friends who I've known since 1970 and who like me is 65 this year. This was our treat.
    I have been going to see John Mclaughlin since about 1972, and to see him again now in 2019 was immensely satisfying.

Total cost of evening including a single pint (Camden brewery, very good but £5.50) = £74. Ticket £41 (that's cheap) and return train fare a little over £27.

Best wishes!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12352
    @jdgm I was in the second row of the balcony.  :)
    I’ve been a fan for a long time too, since the  Mahavishnu Mk 1 days, although sadly I never got to see the first band play live. Seen him lots of time over the years since though in various incarnations. I know what you mean about not being so frantic now... I was saying to Hootsmon in a pm (he’s a massive fan too) that JM seemed really relaxed and enjoying himself, none of the intense staring into his band mates eyes. 

I thought Gary Husband was incredible last night , although they’re all superb, how can you play like Jan Hammer  AND Billy Cobham? The bastard!!! :)