Is this a bird or something else?

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5596
edited April 2019 in Off Topic
I'm assuming it's a bird call but I've never heard anything like it before.  I started hearing it last year but have never seen it.  I only hear the one bird and it never seems to move (it never sounds closer or further away) and I only hear it in the warmer months.  

This makes me think it's either migratory or probably an exotic pet that's in an aviary in someone's garden somewhere.

It's entirely random; sometimes I hear it regularly, other times less frequent.  I have wandered the neighbourhood trying to locate the source of the sound but have never been able to find it or even get close to it.  Whichever direction I go it always seems to be coming from another direction.

Hope the audio is good enough, the bird call (if that's what it is) is heard twice, once at the start and once towards the end of the 20 second clip.

Oh, and I scoured the internet for bird calls native to the UK but haven't found it.  Must have listened to hundreds of different calls since last year.

Tell me it's not a smoke alarm low battery chirp, lol!

Thanks in advance.

and the call in isolation:

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9501
    edited April 2019
    Edited after I realised you’d already made the obvious forum joke. 
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Is it a plane?
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    That doesn’t sound unusual to me.  I’m sure I’ve heard that.  It sounds like an alarm call, similar to that blackbirds make when they spot a cat.

I thought it was going to be a call I’ve been hearing recently - definitely a bird, but so close to a car alarm you’d think it was mimicking an alarm it has heard.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    Emp_Fab said:
    That doesn’t sound unusual to me.  I’m sure I’ve heard that.  It sounds like an alarm call, similar to that blackbirds make when they spot a cat.

I thought it was going to be a call I’ve been hearing recently - definitely a bird, but so close to a car alarm you’d think it was mimicking an alarm it has heard.
    You sure you're hearing the same thing mate?  It's not as loud on the clip as I'd hoped - it sounded much clearer when I played it back on my iPhone earlier.

Some exotic birds have the ability to mimic things like car alarms in an uncanny fashion.  A mate of mine has one, well he had one before he got fed up with it and gave it to his daughter, and it can do some very good impressions of alarms etc.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    edited April 2019
    Sounds like a member of the Crow family to me, maybe a type of Jay....?
  • Fairly sure heard the same call this morning after Harry the Sparrow Hawk had breakfast in my garden so going to say alarmed blackbird
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Fairly sure heard the same call this morning after Harry the Sparrow Hawk had breakfast in my garden so going to say alarmed blackbird
    A blackbird alarm call is a succession of loud chirps.  I hear that a LOT since every other bugger in the neighbourhood owns a cat!  I'll see if I can edit the audio to just the sound in question as I think perhaps the rest of the chatter on the clip might be causing confusion.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Sounds like a blackbird/similar alarm call to me. Quite low key, which would make me think that it's a warning to a nearby mate/chick to keep still. (As opposed to the racket they make when it's a bit more urgent to distract the predator.)
    Here's the call in isolation, it's quite in the background, but it is there:

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Squeaking Bigsby?
    A dab of grease'll sort that out.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672

It might be a bird scarer - I used to hear a strange bird call near me, and always in the same place - turned out someone had a pond with fish in, and the noise was there to scare off any birds that might be trying to catch them.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Haych said:
    Fairly sure heard the same call this morning after Harry the Sparrow Hawk had breakfast in my garden so going to say alarmed blackbird
    A blackbird alarm call is a succession of loud chirps.  I hear that a LOT since every other bugger in the neighbourhood owns a cat!  I'll see if I can edit the audio to just the sound in question as I think perhaps the rest of the chatter on the clip might be causing confusion.
    Actually it could be Harry himself https://youtu.be/0xU8tO1TQ2Q
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    It's a bird for sure, but to find which one you will have to track it down. My first thought was blackbird, but great tit is also a possibility, blackcap, or dunnock maybe also. Most birds make a wide variety of sounds so you can't just rely on one or two audio clips from the web. You will have to go and find it.

Also what habitat is it? built up area or farmland? massive garden or small, and what area of UK are you? they will all help narrow down the possibilities. Not many species of birds live on housing estates, and some birds are more common down south than up north.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    edited April 2019 tFB Trader
    Is it a plane?
    There are 400 billion birds in the world
    https://www.amnh.org/explore/ology/earth/ask-a-scientist-about-our-environment/how-big-is-the-bird-population

There are fewer than 25,000 planes in service
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/how-many-planes-are-there-in-the-world/

There is only one Superman.

Statistically, it's highly likely that it's a bird.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    is a Moor Hen - they burble at night too...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    https://youtu.be/KOVCq9WywiE

Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I think it's just a bunch of house sparrows squabbling. I heard the exact same sound in my garden yesterday.

It's not their usual "chatter" sound, but they definitely make a sound similar, if not identical.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    Hmm, I think I’m going to have to get a better audio clip because I really don’t think you’re all hearing the sound I’m querying. 

I really do appreciate the comments from y’all though. I’ll post an update if I can capture the sound more accurately. 

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    edited April 2019

Assuming I'm hearing the right sound, this sounds pretty close to me.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Paul_C said:

Assuming I'm hearing the right sound, this sounds pretty close to me.

“Turdus Merula”?

We all know what a turdus is and you only need to google ‘merula’...