Is tone in your hands or equipments?

What's Hot
arayadisarayadis Frets: 47
https://youtu.be/1Ya7K6hvHmg
Hi guys, I made a video about most discussed topics in guitar community "is the tone really in your hands".
Some says like that some says tone just comes from equipments?
Please first have a look at my video and please let me know what do you think?
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    its all in the plectrums,everybody knows this 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 965
    I believe it’s 80% player 10% equipment and 10% environment 
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    skaguitar said:
    I believe it’s 80% player 10% equipment and 10% environment 
    ^^^ this

Good guitarists don't have magic guitars, they're good guitarists.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Since there's very little objective about guitar, I'd say tone is in the mind of the beholder.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    edited April 2019
    I think what your video demonstrates is that if you can't play the thing you're trying to play very well, no one is going hear the tone, and if you can execute your ideas well/with confidence*, the tone becomes less important.

*I'm hedging this one a bit because Satriani doesn't exactly pull off everything in that clip but he makes sure it doesn't matter by just carrying on to the next bit. Petrucci is not a name that would ever come to mind if I was thinking about lead tones (or I suppose only to consider that he aims for articulacy and the ability to hear each individual note clearly and precisely at high speeds over and above aesthetically pleasing tone).

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2378
    So another account that doesn't contribute to the forum apart from when they've got a YouTube video to promote?
    Tim
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    timmypix said:
    So another account that doesn't contribute to the forum apart from when they've got a YouTube video to promote?
    Exactly what I thought. I clicked it assuming it's a member that just recorded a demo vid but then when I saw it's a typical "youtuber" vid with the "hi folks" etc., I looked at the post count and thought human spam bot lol
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I always sound exactly the same whatever I use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14184
    tFB Trader
    There is a great line from Chet Atkins - He finished the gig and put his guitar on the stand, then happened to be talking to a member of the audience, who passed comment about how great the guitar sounded - Chet looked at the guitar on the stand and responded, 'it doesn't sound to good now does it'

Obviously a large % comes from the player, their touch etc, but they still require a fine instrument in order to display the finer nuances, that allows them to fully express all appropriate emotions
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • arayadisarayadis Frets: 47
    edited April 2019
    thegummy said:
    timmypix said:
    Exactly what I thought. I clicked it assuming it's a member that just recorded a demo vid but then when I saw it's a typical "youtuber" vid with the "hi folks" etc., I looked at the post count and thought human spam bot lol
    Why you doing that?
    I spend hours to make a nice video used tube amps like Mesa Mark V, Marshall Jubilee, Fender Super-Sonic to get honest sounds... tried to use decent guitars and restring them. 
    If you’ll be happy I’m not going to be famous and I don’t have such a time...
    Also there is no way to earn back Even the costs of the new strings used in the videos:) So be sure that If I wanna promote my videos I won’t hesitate to spend lots of money on that. But I’m doing that because I love that. I wish you understand that feeling too.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Definitely a bit of everything but primarily the "hands" or the way the player picks, attacks, strums articulates etc. 2 things I always share when this topic comes up - this vid of Satch on some guys crappy wee amp and cheap guitar and Nuno saying when he played through EVH's rig he just sounded like himself and could hear very little of Eddie's "tone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    edited April 2019
    Interesting video. I think it proves teh
    There is a great line from Chet Atkins - He finished the gig and put his guitar on the stand, then happened to be talking to a member of the audience, who passed comment about how great the guitar sounded - Chet looked at the guitar on the stand and responded, 'it doesn't sound to good now does it'
    I used that exact Chet line at a gig once...someone said my 1932 National Triolian sounded great and smugly I pointed to it on it's stand and said "how does it sound now?"

They took that as an invitation to go and play it, which they did, and then came back over to me and said "yeah, the same...why?".

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    arayadis said:
    thegummy said:
    timmypix said:
    Why you doing that?
    I spend hours to make a nice video used tube amps like Mesa Mark V, Marshall Jubilee, Fender Super-Sonic to get honest sounds... tried to use decent guitars and restring them. 
    Also there is no way to earn back Even the costs of the new strings used in the videos:) So be sure that If I wanna promote my videos I won’t hesitate to spend lots of money on that. But I’m doing that because I love that. I wish you understand that feeling too.

You've created 5 new discussions, each one promoting your youtube videos, and made 3 comments that are not on your own discussions.

We have a "Plug my Stuff" section for this sort of thing - you should perhaps move your videos in there.

Also, we're not all guys.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    I think tone is there regardless depending on the gear used ..one person playing a note to another person playing isn't going to sound much different really in my opinion ...good guitarists usually manipulate the tone they have with dynamics ..phrasing...touch ..the way they pick ECT....I think it's mainly good technique and phrasing when we hear good players .. these players would sound the same on any gear regardless...not sure iff much tone comes from the fingers though ... possibly just through different places and where you pick ..again it's part of technique ..
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    I don't think tone is in the fingers as much as it's in the ears.
    I came to this conclusion following historical gear updates from guys like Luke, Petrucci and JoBo.
    Whatever they use, they dial it in a way that gives them sounds and textures that they like to hear that suits their style and the core tone doesn't change as much. 

With Luke there is this grainy, fat and searing i think its around 1.5kHz tone. Whether it's 2C+, 3+SE or Bogner. 
    WIth Petrucci it's thick boogie 
    With JoBo it's a lot or EJ-like violin creaminess but different enough to get away with it..

I'm not any famous or good by comparison but I do the same thing regardless of what amp or modeler I am using.
    Every tone is a slight variation of how I want to hear things.

Then there's style and influences and unique sensibilities which I think we mean by "fingers" but imho these too are more about ears.

With good players (technique, taste etc) the whole package (tone and licks) stands out more than a bad player with a well-dialed amp. 

On the more technical side, I have noticed that stiff high gain with some amps affects how I actually play. I don't sound different, just need to put some effort and attention on my technique to sound like myself if for some reason the amp is not working with me.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    It's been trotted out before that if you heard a new piece by Santana, Clapton, Knopphler, etc. you would know instantly that it was them because of the player/tone. They tend to achieve those tones on whatever guitar/setup they are playing but would prefer thier own which is tailored to thier needs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    edited April 2019 tFB Trader
    arayadis said:
    thegummy said:
    timmypix said:
    Why you doing that?

We spend hours to make a nice forum.
    Also there is no way to earn back Even the costs of the hosting used on the forum:
    I wish you understand that feeling too.

EDIT: Just to clarify I'm just illustrating that the same argument can be made about the forum. I'm not a mod any more so this isn't an official statement.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I think tone is in the mind. The hands just do what they're told.

Great guitarists have sheep dog hands, most of us have to make do with cats. :)
  • Tone is in the wall voltage. Ask Eddie Van Halen

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Sassafras said:
    I always sound exactly the same whatever I use.
    Yes I'm the same. I borrowed a mates Baja Tele and he said it didn't sound much like a Tele the way I play. 

For or the last six years I've been wedded to the same Distortion pedal. I really saw it as "my sound". But at the moment I'm using a TC Nova System & I can make the drive on that work for me fine.