PRS Studio 2011 action

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
I just bought one
Action is highest I have ever seen, trm block is 6mm above the guitar top
 I assume this just means the springs are too loose in the back?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940

Is the bridge horizontal with the top of the body or angled up front to back?

The front and back of the bridge should be 1/16th inch off the body

See here for setup tips: https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/prs_tremolo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891

Is the bridge horizontal with the top of the body or angled up front to back?

The front and back of the bridge should be 1/16th inch off the body

See here for setup tips: https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/prs_tremolo

the bridge is angled down towards the pickups, 10 degrees maybe
    my other PRS is much less angled
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    the bridge should be parallel with the strings
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    the bridge should be parallel with the strings
    I recall the factory set up is like this - I often run with the trem block parallel to the body - It doesn't make to much difference either way - But certainly not as mentioned above by the OP

@tonecontrol - Is the neck relief okay - The angle of the trem block alone won't cure a poor action - Without seeing the guitar in the flesh. my gut feeling is that each saddle height will need adjusting and maybe the neck relief

It should be possible to set up such a guitar with an ultra slick action as required

Also what string gauge are you using - Factory set-up is with 10-46 - But unsure if that has been changed - Factory set up was also with 3 springs in the back, so again not sure if it has been adjusted previously

Update accordingly
    I added a 4th spring I found in the case, and tightened them a bit
    2 of the springs are a bit slack, I assume I need a matching set
    I prefer a very stiff trem, so tips on where to buy a set of 5 springs would be welcome

anyway, bridge now parallel with strings, action is now high end of normal, I will try to reduce it

I think there is a little too much relief in the neck
    My digital caliper says they are 10-46

I use 9-46, so I think I'll fit those then loosen the truss rod a little
    tFB Trader
    I prefer a very stiff trem, so tips on where to buy a set of 5 springs would be welcome

anyway, bridge now parallel with strings, action is now high end of normal, I will try to reduce it

I would suspect that 4 springs will be enough for 9-46 - try it and add another if required - Will need to adjust the claw in the trem/spring cavity for 3/4 or 5

On a PRS I'd be surprised if you need any neck relief adjustment when you move from 10-46 to 9-46 - Assuming it is correct now - There is no CORRECT neck relief in that a player with a heavy right hand will probably need more relief then some one who strokes the strings - I personally, on a PRS have very little - If you need any advice on checking neck relief just ask

Word of warning - Don't adjust the 6 'Phillips' mounting trem screws on trem assembly - Just adjust the action/string height via the grub screws on each saddle

Yes all springs should be the same

I would suspect that 4 springs will be enough for 9-46 - try it and add another if required - Will need to adjust the claw in the trem/spring cavity for 3/4 or 5

On a PRS I'd be surprised if you need any neck relief adjustment when you move from 10-46 to 9-46 - Assuming it is correct now - There is no CORRECT neck relief in that a player with a heavy right hand will probably need more relief then some one who strokes the strings - I personally, on a PRS have very little - If you need any advice on checking neck relief just ask

Word of warning - Don't adjust the 6 'Phillips' mounting trem screws on trem assembly - Just adjust the action/string height via the grub screws on each saddle

I agree, issue is I think the relief is too much now with 10s on it
    hence, I think I will adjust now, then change to 9-46
    tFB Trader

Normally PRS truss rods are very responsive to any tweaks so you should see an improvement straight away - Best do a touch, then repeat if necessary - Do you need any help/advice on this or are you okay with how to check/measure relief 

Normally PRS truss rods are very responsive to any tweaks so you should see an improvement straight away - Best do a touch, then repeat if necessary - Do you need any help/advice on this or are you okay with how to check/measure relief 
    Got it all done now thanks, I have some new feeler gauges!

I think it needs fret dressing now, I need to find someone for that now that Ged has retired
    tFB Trader

I think it needs fret dressing now, I need to find someone for that now that Ged has retired
    @SteveRobinson - Manchester guitar tech - No brainer for me as the best option in your region

@SteveRobinson - Manchester guitar tech - No brainer for me as the best option in your region
    cheers