Calling all HarrySeven's.

What's Hot
KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
Hi @HarrySeven I would appreciate your sage advice on this guitar (and of course that of all other FB members).

I bought this a few years back as it was described as a 'Maya' and I have a bit of love for this brand, but didn't own a neck through/thru guitar at the time, so I was having it 
;) 

The bridge was described as a replacement Ibanez, which has been hardtailed with an oak block.
Nut is brass & looks original.
Pickups could be DiMarzio's, the bridge definitely is a genuine vintage DiMarzio SD, as I had it fitted.
Original Schaller tuners (by the look of it).

Construction is rosewood/maple sandwich neck, with possible Mahogany or Korina 'wings'.
Nice chatoyance to be seen in the wood.

The El Maya guitars of this type were a pancake body & had a notched lower headstock, so this clearly isn't one.
It resembles a Suntech, but again, does not have 
a pancake body.

I keenly await any responses, questions conspiracy theories etc.  :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    My first thought was Oakland, but that would also be pancake...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Yes, it's a wee puzzler. I have also had suggested Satellite, Alembic, Carvin and of course it might be a DIY build. All options are open.
    By the way, I think you should have a bat signal of some type on the forum 
    ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Looks like an El Maya with a reshaped headstock and a trem routed in. It doesn't have a multi-layer body, but the rest of it is so close that I'd be more inclined to think it's just a simpler model than made somewhere else.

(http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/discus/messages/13/2403.html?1099141542)

Are there any signs of other machineheads having been fitted under the Schallers? They don't look like they're on quite right, a couple of them overlap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have a feeling that I’ve seen MIJ models like this branded Fresher and Conn.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

edited April 2019
    Haven't ever felt like removing the tuners, but you're right, they are wonky. Reshaped headstock is a possibility I had considered, but the lower edge finish is uniform (nothing to prove it though). The solid wings are more of a puzzle to me, as why would you change the elements of a production run?  But that's guitars for you, never a dull moment and there is no bad news to be had here. I love it, regardless of it's provenance/history/origins   3   (edit: and thanks for the help @ICBM ).
    edited April 2019

Thanks. Could be close cousins. I rather like the sound of "Incredibly rare" lol  :)  
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited April 2019
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Got to like through necks IMHO  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Haven't ever felt like removing the tuners, but you're right, they are wonky. Reshaped headstock is a possibility I had considered, but the lower edge finish is uniform (nothing to prove it though). The solid wings are more of a puzzle to me, as why would you change the elements of a production run?
    The Japanese factories seemed to do stuff like that. Remember there was someone here a while back who had a Matsumoku-made semi-acoustic with what looked like a Vantage body and an unlogo'd Vox headstock, but factory original.

The reason I think it's an El Maya or at least definitely from the same factory is not just the through-neck with the single rosewood stripe, it's the shaping on the back of the neck at the body and headstock transitions - it's identical.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Haven't ever felt like removing the tuners, but you're right, they are wonky. Reshaped headstock is a possibility I had considered, but the lower edge finish is uniform (nothing to prove it though). The solid wings are more of a puzzle to me, as why would you change the elements of a production run?
    The Japanese factories seemed to do stuff like that. Remember there was someone here a while back who had a Matsumoku-made semi-acoustic with what looked like a Vantage body and an unlogo'd Vox headstock, but factory original.

The reason I think it's an El Maya or at least definitely from the same factory is not just the through-neck with the single rosewood stripe, it's the shaping on the back of the neck at the body and headstock transitions - it's identical.
    Very sage advice. I have almost pulled the trigger on a Vantage 'Ghost' as they are very nice affordable copies of my much loved Gibson 'The Paul's'. The single rosewood centre stripe is unusual as far as I have been able to see, but it is quite pleasing to view (to me anyway).

I haven't had the scratchplate off to see if the bridge rout is an HB, but it's definitely a possibilty. 
    I really need to get more hands on, but my physical setup skills lack a certain... anything  :o
    As I said, if it is a Maya, I'll be well chuffed in landing a lovely bargain. If not, it's a lovely bastard that has a loving home  ;)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Mighty Mite made a neck through Strat back in the v early 80’s
    I’m guessing the humbucker on that El Maya isn’t original.

Is the trem rout in yours original? Having only two screw holes for the cover suggests it might not be.

edited April 2019
    ICBM said:
    I’m guessing the humbucker on that El Maya isn’t original.

Is the trem rout in yours original? Having only two screw holes for the cover suggests it might not be.
    I have seen a few photo's of HSS El Maya strat type guitars. Regarding the routing...you tell me  I reckon possibly not, but not a bad job though.  There are actually three screw holes, one of them appears to be a 'first go'  o  Besides, who has a two screw rear trem cover?  Having said that I have always though(t) Fender went way OTT with their use of screws. I prefer less is more.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2947
     Fresher Straighter?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14223
    tFB Trader
    The Fresher tag rings a bell with me, for some reason - But not so sure about the Schallers + DiMarzio on such models - Might be correct and a fading memory bank on my account - I recall buying/stocking Freshers when Woodroffes in Brum imported them - Don't know if you recall those days ? - late 70's /early 80's ?
    blobb said:
     Fresher Straighter?
    I'm hearing Fresher, straighter, bigger, stronger, faster!!

But jokes aside, it's definitely in the genetic ballpark, thanks.
    Note to self.
    I can't believe I said 'ballpark'!!!
    I'll be saying 'ass', 'butt' & 'fanny' soon  :o
    I'm feeling culturally appropriated... & more than a little soiled.
    The Fresher tag rings a bell with me, for some reason - But not so sure about the Schallers + DiMarzio on such models - Might be correct and a fading memory bank on my account - I recall buying/stocking Freshers when Woodroffes in Brum imported them - Don't know if you recall those days ? - late 70's /early 80's ?
    I know the feeling. I was there in the 70's... I think?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22783
    Fresher always makes me think of switches...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom