seaside near Edinburgh?

What's Hot
we are off to Edinburgh in a couple of  weeks, do some touristy things and drive up to the Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies. MrsTheWeary wants to see something of the sea/ seaside on our trip ( West Midlands psychology of if you haven't seen the seaside it isn't a holiday) and whilst Edinburgh is almost coastal I don't know what in the area would afford stunning views and cosy cafes, walks along the beach and ice creams and what would turn out to be industrial seaports. 

Ta    
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    walks along the beach and ice creams
    At the seaside, in Scotland? Take yer thermals. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Not exactly near Edinburgh but Ayr is lovely. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Do you like nudie beach?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    walks along the beach and ice creams
    At the seaside, in Scotland? Take yer thermals. :)
    Sleeping in a campervan in Scotland in May there will be thermals!

Not exactly near Edinburgh but Ayr is lovely. 
    Wouldn't be that far out of our way although yes not exactly Edinburgh. 
  • Caffeine_VampireCaffeine_Vampire Frets: 3479
    edited April 2019
    Ayr has that ‘traditional seaside town’ thing going on. Very slow pace of life. Don’t forget a baseball bat to ward off the midgies though. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    Do you like nudie beach?
    Probably not in May! 

I'm thinking more walks with the dog than sunbathing and naked volleyball. 
  • Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 85

Portobello (beach) probably ticks all of the boxes. It is a couple of miles from Edinburgh City Centre with several bus routes into the city centre if you don't want to take the  car with you.

North Berwick is a nice seaside town best know for the bird sanctuary. It is about 50 miles East of Edinburgh Google to see whether there is enough to keep you occupied in the area for a day.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 85
    Should have added that if you are driving up via the A1 you get plenty of views of the sea so you have the option of breaking the journey up there or back at one of the small towns on the coast.  I think that most such places have sandy beaches although ice creams are probably out of the local newsagents freezer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers @Seymour1 I'd spotted Portobello beach on the map, although past experience suggests that beach can mean pebbles and washed up condoms. 
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1679
    Drive up to St Andrews (home of golf and all that), about one hour north. The beach goes on for miles. They filmed the opening scene of Chariots of Fire there (it was supposed to be Broadstairs).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 545454545454 Frets: 184
    For nice coastal walks, the stretch of coastline around Longniddry, Aberlady, Gullane, North Berwich, West Barns (Belhaven Bay) has really nice sandy beaches. Maybe 25-30 mins drive from Edinburgh. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    I agree with the Fife suggestion - lots of great beaches between Elie and Tentsmuir. Kinshaldy beach at Tentsmuir is a cracker and seldom busy.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    If you're after a town beach then St Andrews - both West and East sands - is well worth a visit. It really is a perfect holiday town.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    If you want the Edinburgh side of the Firth of Forth, Gullane Bay is lovely on a sunny day. The bents north of Longniddry a bit nearer Edinburgh are good, but more rocky.
    However be aware that most beach car parks in East Lothian now have height restrictions and parking charges. You can however park in Gullane then walk out, or park on the side of the road from the coast road past Longniddry Bents heading into Longniddry, and walk back down.
    Gullane does have a nice café. There is also the Bothy in Gosford estate (east of Longniddry(, and the Longniddry Inn does good cooking (nothing fancy, just good pub grub). If you want ice cream though, it's got to be Lucas in Musselburgh as you drive out of town!

You can head further south to the likes of Belhaven Bay, and Cove/Pease Bay (Cockburnspath).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    Gullane and Portobello are both good suggestions and of course St Andrews is great, I went to Uni there, so I’m biased. I would also suggest Cramond. If you get the tide timetable you can walk out to Cramond Isle which is also very picturesque. I can also recommend Red Dog music in Haymarket if you feel the need for guitar related activity......
  • North Berwick. 
    Beach, ice cream, tea shops, pubs, chippy, boat trips round the Bass etc. It's a nice touristy place.
    There's a wee seafood place on the harbour that's great. 
    If you're staying in Edinburgh, you can get a train to N.B. (as us locals call it). 

If you're driving Tyninghame, SeaCliff, YellowCraigs are all lovely for walking. 
    Dunbar is nice (Belhaven Brewery is there too). 

@Toms_Dad you can't recommend RedDog anymore. It was on Grassmarket not Haymarket & sadly closed 6months ago.

Cramond is a good shout- just check the tides for the causeway! 
  • If you need ideas for things to do....

Music:
    The Royal Oak does live music often- the first time I saw Kris Drever (check him out- he's great) was there. 

Similarly the Sandy Bells does folk ssessions daily (& is handy for the Old Town etc)
    https://www.sandybells.co.uk

Touristy:
    there are usually walking tours leaving from near St Giles on the high st. Try to find one that takes you to the catacombs- kinda spooky, kinda cool. 

The open top bus tours are a great way to see the city without walking your legs off- some of them take you to the New Town. I love Stockbridge/Dean Village/Botanics- Lots of nice pubs etc and Georgian architecture. 

The Modern Art Galleries are good & there's a free bus from the National Gallery on the mound. You can walk down the water of Leith to Stockbridge (a lovely neighborhood). 

If the weather is decent, Arthur's Seat/Calton Hill are a nice walk (As is Botanics etc)

The National Museum is GREAT- the views from the roof are spectacular too. 

Food/Drink:
    Civerinos: Cool pizza place
    Vittorias: (Italian) Edinburgh institution 
    Beer Kitchen: Owned by Innes and Gunn, food is good and the beer is impressive 
    Scran and Scallie: Gastropub owned by Tom Kitchin. 
    Affrogato: excellent gelato. 
    Howies- Good modern Scottish food.
    BrewDog pubs- good beer 

Further afield:
    Crammond Island- walk along a causeway at low tide. 
    Roslyn Chapel- as mentioned in the DaVinci Code, but don't hold that against it!
    Stirling- Lovely picturesque & small. You can do most of it including the castle in a day. 
    Linlithgow- has a palace etc & is a short train ride from Edinburgh
    Glasgow- has everything you could want in a big city. 
    North Berwick- picturesque seaside town .

Leith (which is NOT part of Edinburgh!)- has been massively redeveloped & has LOADS of things to see/do/eat/drink. It's far less touristy than Edinburgh is. (Some tour busses will go there, or just use public transport) 
    Royal Yaught Brittania is there- worth a look if that's your kind of thing. 
    Mimis Bake House- their "Before noon tea" is brilliant (but remember to book). 
    Gosh, lots of information.

I wouldn't like to imply that when we go away we are at all organised but have some names here of places. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    edited April 2019
    Portobello if you want traditional run-down seaside-town vibes effectively 'in' Edinburgh. Cramond Island if you want to get cut off by the tide  (don't! The coastguard take a dim view of it). North Berwick if you want a nicer town atmosphere, Aberlady if you want a long walk to a much less crowded, countryside beach.

Not mentioned so far... Tantallon Castle near North Berwick in East Lothian - absolutely spectacular ruined castle with a couple of beaches within easy walking distance of the castle car park.

North Berwick isn't 50 miles from Edinburgh, by the way - it's about 20. It's Berwick-On-Tweed which is 50 miles away.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    Not by the sea, but still in East Lothian, try the Tyneside Tavern in Haddington.  There's a plaque there where Fish from Marrillion used to sit and enjoy a pint.  Apparently when they were writing their first album they spent a lot of time there...