What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15926
What value and why that choice?

How many caps do Strats have BTW?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    One cap normally - it's shared by both controls. Some modern schemes use two, one for each, often with non-standard pots for the middle (and bridge if connected to one).

The original value is .1uF, which is considered 'large' and gives a very deep soft tone when it's rolled off. A lot of people think it's too big, but it has to be said that vintage Strats usually sound quite good...

In the late 60s (can't remember the exact year) it was changed to .05uF, effectively the same as a modern .047uF value.

Modern Strats usually use .022uF which gives a more middy tone when rolled down.

I prefer .047 personally, if you're only using one cap. A lot of people prefer smaller values, some even below .022uF.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15926
    edited April 2019
    Thanks John......is there a way of telling if my 2018 player strat has one or two with out talking it apart?

Yeah, i was reading that Simon from kingsley pedals much prefers a .47 as the regular ones can be a bit muddy when rolled down...and that is the case with my new Strat....a bit muddy
    tae be or not tae be
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    hootsmon said:
    What value and why that choice?

How many caps do Strats have BTW?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hootsmon said:
    Thanks John......is there a way of telling if my 2018 player strat has one or two with out talking it apart?
    It's difficult to tell. What kinds of tone controls does it have - two standard ones, or does one have a detent at any point (eg full up)? I lose track of what Fender are putting in them now...

hootsmon said:

Yeah, i was reading that Simon from kingsley pedals much prefers a .47 as the regular ones can be a bit muddy when rolled down...and that is the case with my new Strat....a bit muddy
    It's important to get the decimal point in the right place ;).

.47 would be huge, really muddy when turned down, leaving nothing but deep bass. You either mean .047 (standard in the late 60s and 70s) or possibly even .0047, which would be very small and work quite differently from a normal tone control, taking off only treble and very little midrange, leaving quite a 'honky' sound.

If the value it has is either .047 or .022 (the most likely) I would try a .01 first.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15926
    tae be or not tae be
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    I sell a lot of Strat wiring kits with a 0.047 orange drop as standard.
    The odd customer will ask to change it for a 0.022 cap, and then a few of them will email or call a week later asking to swap it back to the 0.047.

IMO it depends on your pickups and pot values. Assuming standard single coils and 250k pots, then a 0.047 or 0.1 will do nicely.
    The people that return the 0.022 complain its a bit "tinny" or "ice-pick" like.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    hootsmon said:
    Yes, he's deliberately going for a no-treble, all-mid sound. I hate that :).