Gibson Les Paul Model or Year?

What's Hot
Liamgilmour928Liamgilmour928 Frets: 1
edited April 2019 in Guitar
I recently bought a Gibson Les Paul for quite a cheap price but I'm struggling to figure out what exact model or year it is as the owner didn't know much about it.

It has a 6 digit serial number on the headstock stamped in ink, but no 'Made in the USA'. A friend then told me that he thought it was a 1998 Les Paul Classic, however when I entered the serial into a serial decoder, it said was 1968 if there was no 'Made in USA' on the headstock. 

However to add more confusion, it has a Gibson Custom plate behind the pickup selector on the back. 

Any help?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    That sounds like either a 2018 R9 or a Chibson.

Post some pics and we'll tell you which.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I'm suspecting it might be a fake

Got pics?
  • Liamgilmour928Liamgilmour928 Frets: 1
    edited April 2019
    We'd have to see more but looks legit at first glance and would be a 2018 R9 (1959 reissue).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited April 2019
    Brize said:
    We'd have to see more but looks legit at first glance and would be a 2018 R9 (1959 reissue).
    This - and I’d question how cheap and where you got it from if it is legit.

You might have bought a stolen guitar - most people would know not to sell an R9 really cheap...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Brize said:
    Anything specific? 

A friend is adamant its a classic after reading this quote on the gibson website: 
    https://imgur.com/fxGAvu4
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Is that fish or something worse I can smell?

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Iamnobody said:
    Brize said:

You might have bought a stolen guitar - most people would know not to sell an R9 really cheap...
    Nothing like jumping to conclusions is there
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    I recently bought a Gibson Les Paul for quite a cheap price but I'm struggling to figure out what exact model or year it is as the owner didn't know much about it.

It has a 6 digit serial number on the headstock stamped in ink, but no 'Made in the USA'. The Serial number is 982844. A friend then told me that he thought it was a 1998 Les Paul Classic, however when I entered the serial into a serial decoder, it said was 1968 if there was no 'Made in USA' on the headstock. 

However to add more confusion, it has a Gibson Custom plate behind the pickup selector on the back. 

Any help?
    I'm slightly baffled - Why would you pay a price for something when you don't know what it is - How do you put a price on something that you can't equate what it is ? - Don't want to sound awkward but it doesn't add up

I've only seen a close up of the serial number - Can you send more pics of the front of the headstock, the body and a whole length pic

Does it have a case - does it have any certificate, probably in like a CD size wallet 
    Iamnobody said:
    Brize said:

Nothing like jumping to conclusions is there
    I haven’t I said it ‘might’ be. Nothing like not reading a post correctly is there?

Anyway OP doesn’t know what he’s bought and the seller didn’t know what he was selling so it will be interesting to see...
    Yeah, ignoring the resident forum detectives, it does indeed look like an R9. Nice score!
  • I recently bought a Gibson Les Paul for quite a cheap price but I'm struggling to figure out what exact model or year it is as the owner didn't know much about it.

It has a 6 digit serial number on the headstock stamped in ink, but no 'Made in the USA'. The Serial number is 982844. A friend then told me that he thought it was a 1998 Les Paul Classic, however when I entered the serial into a serial decoder, it said was 1968 if there was no 'Made in USA' on the headstock. 

Any help?
    I'm slightly baffled - Why would you pay a price for something when you don't know what it is - How do you put a price on something that you can't equate what it is ? - Don't want to sound awkward but it doesn't add up

I've only seen a close up of the serial number - Can you send more pics of the front of the headstock, the body and a whole length pic

Does it have a case - does it have any certificate, probably in like a CD size wallet 
    Longer story than I explained. My dad is an old antiques deal and works with a shop where they buy the contents of warehouse's and such then sell them in the shop. The guitar was in one of the warehouses they cleared out, then because he has to pay something for it as its not a business expense, we payed a price that he and his partner deemed profitable.

Any help?

Longer story than I explained. My dad is an old antiques deal and works with a shop where they buy the contents of warehouse's and such then sell them in the shop. The guitar was in one of the warehouses they cleared out, then because he has to pay something for it as its not a business expense, we payed a price that he and his partner deemed profitable.
    Ahh, so probably not stolen then. Better tell @Iamnobody, he's probably phoned the police already
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    @BloodEagle the only thing I’ll be calling the rozzers about is your criminal attempt at a joke...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    edited April 2019
    How much d'ya want for it?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Brize said:
    Anything specific? 

A friend is adamant its a classic after reading this quote on the gibson website: 
    https://imgur.com/fxGAvu4
    It is 100% not a Les Paul Classic.