I just raised my strap a notch ...

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
in Technique tFB Trader
.. and I don't care who knows it. 

It's only about an inch higher, but everything seems to be falling into place more easily. 

I've never looked cool anyway so I might as well be comfortable. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10643
    That's not a problem, unless you were already playing it up by your chest.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I'm finding it hard to breathe. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Maroon 5 fan then?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    Maroon 5 fan then?
    I'm sufficently divorced from mainstream media that I have no idea what you are talking about.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    Lol
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    edited May 2014
    I've just gone in the other direction - guitar quite comfortably covering my nads. I have a nerve problem in my right shoulder which means that keeping it bent all the time causes an electric shock-like sensation from my shoulder to the tip of my thumb when I hit chords particularly hard. When it's straighter, it's not so much an issue...unfortunately, keeping the guitar low makes fretting difficult, so it's always a bit of a compromise.

Don't think I'll ever manage to get it Nuno-low, though. That guy's got arms like an ape.
    <space for hire>
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    I'm sufficently divorced from mainstream media that I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Quote of the month.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

I think provided the isn't a sweat patch gathering on the guitar's body from your chin then all is cool.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I hold my big semi quite high, my wife kinda likes it!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I do of course mean that on most of my guitars the neck plate or join sits just above the waistline. On my 335 because of the sheer size, the neck joint sits a couple of inches higher with the neck at a steeper angle, effortless playing but a vastly different feel.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    When it's straighter, it's not so much an issue...unfortunately, keeping the guitar low makes fretting difficult, so it's always a bit of a compromise.
    Exactly how I see it, lower (within reason) is easier for picking, higher (within reason) is easier for fretting. As I've always been about rhythm over complexity, I'm a low slinger ;)

Perhaps you should implement Petrucci's solution to solos, get your guitar up on your thigh classical stylee:
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I've been edging mine upwards lately. It's just a different thing - it's another make-me-think-and-play-differently thing.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    I've just gone in the other direction - guitar quite comfortably covering my nads. I have a nerve problem in my right shoulder which means that keeping it bent all the time causes an electric shock-like sensation from my shoulder to the tip of my thumb when I hit chords particularly hard. When it's straighter, it's not so much an issue...unfortunately, keeping the guitar low makes fretting difficult, so it's always a bit of a compromise.

Don't think I'll ever manage to get it Nuno-low, though. That guy's got arms like an ape.

I quite like slinging my guitar about that low and pointing the headstock upwards (or doing the split leg 'Hetfeild' stance) but I find it a problem to keep the damn thing under control when moving about, though maybe that is a symptom of now using a lighter guitar.  A shorter strap length means the guitar has less room to move about.

What I have discovered though is that if you are going to have your strap on the lower side it is best to practice stood up with the strap at that length.  Practising sat down with my arms/wrists at one angle but performing stood up with my arms/wrists at a totally different angle doesn't really translate for me anyway.

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7142
    My straps are set to as short as they go. Biggest challenge is not banging your face when you put it on!
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    My straps is pretty short, the guitar sits pretty much over my stomach.

Its comfier and easier to play though(I don't care about looking 'cool' :)) )