Risers, fills and transitions

What's Hot
Been focusing on production recently and I've started to pay alot of attention to risers and fills (drums, keyboard, guitar etc.) between song parts, they are great finishing touches to make a song fuller and complete. No rule that they have to be used everywhere, but they can add some magic dust to a song. 

Thoughts? What sort of transitions do you guys like? and for what type of music? I'm still experimenting and would love to hear what you guys use. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Hey bud, you are bang on there, all those subtle additions can make a massive difference to the impact of choruses, lead breaks and all sorts.

I found a sound source called Noiiz last year and have been using it loads for those types of sounds.

I  almost always use reverse crashes, snares, reverse guitar chords, rising notes, shorts sentenced notes and all that jazz so build up a part, often 5 or 6 small sounds into a chorus.

I also like a triangle here and there, almost unnoticeable but adds sparkle ;-) 

Check out a song...  

Listen out for the reverse Piano octave / guitar / and cymbal at the start, then also into the chorus parts, then again at the start and end of the instrumental break ;-)

Lets hear what you are doing?    

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33780
    From 1:22 onwards in this:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6139
    The only problem for me with 'ready-made' risers/etc is that it's all a bit paint-by-numbers. Feels like cheating. YMMV
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    goldtop said:
    The only problem for me with 'ready-made' risers/etc is that it's all a bit paint-by-numbers. Feels like cheating. YMMV
    Well yes...but I generally re ord my own piano / guitar parts then manipulate to suit...then use whatever is available, 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    NI's Rise & Hit is pretty good. Often on sale for a good price too. Loads in it, very programmable.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    spark240 said:
    Hey bud, you are bang on there, all those subtle additions can make a massive difference to the impact of choruses, lead breaks and all sorts.

I found a sound source called Noiiz last year and have been using it loads for those types of sounds.

I  almost always use reverse crashes, snares, reverse guitar chords, rising notes, shorts sentenced notes and all that jazz so build up a part, often 5 or 6 small sounds into a chorus.

I also like a triangle here and there, almost unnoticeable but adds sparkle ;-) 

Check out a song...  

Listen out for the reverse Piano octave / guitar / and cymbal at the start, then also into the chorus parts, then again at the start and end of the instrumental break ;-)

Lets hear what you are doing?    
    I remember commenting on this track! Sounds great, and I'm particularly amused by the jet engine starting at the beginning of the instrumental break. Gotta try a reverse riser with my music too. I haven't implemented the idea yet so I've got nothing to show..

goldtop said:
    I use drum loops in my music So I can't fall much further down..

Snap said:
    NI's Rise & Hit is pretty good. Often on sale for a good price too. Loads in it, very programmable.
    Will check it out.