Opinions on S1 P-Bass pickups or just go for Model P?

What's Hot
pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
I have a Westfield P that I am modifying. I added a J neck from eBay and have a Hi-Mass to add. I want to install a better pickup.

There is a Dimarzio reasonably local on Facebook (black pole-pieces to I suspect Model P). There is also pickups with S1 pot for similar price, but TalkBass doesn't seem to like the pot and/or pickups.

Would the Dimarzio be the better option?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    The Dimarzio is fine, maybe a little excessive in the low end, but that can be tamed on your amp.

But if you like the idea of a Fender pickup you could get the S1 kit and just not use the S1 pots. Do you know what pickup is with that? Presumably just been removed from a Fender?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    The S-1 is OK. It does have occasional reliability issues, but if it's just being used for series-parallel switching - the only sensible option with a single P pickup - you could actually wire two of the pairs of contacts in parallel and more or less eliminate the chance of failure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    edited April 2019
    What he said.

Either pickup would be fine. The S-1 pot/switch can become unreliable.

Series/parallel switching of a P pickup gives a choice of two sounds but that second, thinner, sound is only useful in combination with a bridge position Jazz Bass pickup. (I did this with a Bartolini 8S/9JL pair.)

The Dimarzio is fine, maybe a little excessive in the low end but that can be tamed on your amp.
    I have the DiMarzio Model P's close cousin, the DP146 Will Power Middle. An aggressive-sounding pickup with prodigious low end - to the extent that, under the E string, the pickup top barely rises above the pickguard surface.

The Fender outfit has probably been removed from an American Standard P Bass. I cannot remember whether these have fibreboard bobbin plates or moulded plastic.

If I were being a spiv, I would hawk my Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pound pickup. 

My recommendation for an easily reversible upgrade that sounds great is the EMG-GZR. 

Be seeing you.

Series/parallel switching of a P pickup gives a choice of two sounds but that second, thinner, sound is only useful in combination with a bridge position Jazz Bass pickup.
    That's true.

Funkfingers said:

The Fender outfit has probably been removed from an American Standard P Bass. I cannot remember whether these have fibreboard bobbin plates or moulded plastic.
    Plastic. I had to resolder another one last week :).

What I forgot to say earlier is that given that choice I'd go for the DiMarzio.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Funkfingers said:
    ... fibreboard bobbin plates or moulded plastic.
    Plastic. I had to resolder another one last week :).
    I had a pair of Fender "plastic" pickups in an Am Std Jazz Bass. Something was definitely lacking.

ICBM said:
    given that choice, I'd go for the DiMarzio.
    Me too.

Overall, I would combine the DiMarzio with roundwound strings for Rock music or a "vintage-correct" pickup with flatwound strings for "proper" P bass thump. 
    Be seeing you.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    I'm well acquainted with the Will Power.

I had it 1mm from the strings when fretting at the 21st fret. Then compressed the crap out of it.
    Just like Mr Sheehan would.

It was epic, but not remotely subtle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    A quick trawl on Google yielded this mildly eccentric YouTube video presentation. The host manages to demonstrate Westfield and series/parallel switching all in one.

CAUTION:
    The extent of the sunburst coverage over the forearm contour of the bass in the video strongly suggests that it has something to hide constructionally. i.e. Plywood. In my opinion, this places a finite limit on how far the Westfield can be usefully upgraded before it becomes wiser to put your money towards something else.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

CAUTION:
    The extent of the sunburst coverage over the forearm contour of the bass in the video strongly suggests that it has something to hide constructionally. i.e. Plywood.
    Yes, that will be ply. It's even more certain when he holds it up so you can see the back - the whole back contour is deliberately painted solid black. At best, it will be blocks with a front and back veneer like a 90s USA or Mexican Fender!

Not always the kiss of death though, I know someone with an old plywood Aria bass that sounds great.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Just on the series/parallel switching - I have it on my two ACG’s

In passive mode it almost acts like a boost that tightens the sound with a volume drop. 

However, with a decent active circuit the two settings can have two very unique and very usable tones dialled in quite easily. It works very well with a good preamp.
    edited April 2019
    with a decent active circuit, the two settings can have two very unique and very usable tones dialled in quite easily. It works very well with a good preamp.
    Plays like buffer. 

I added a J neck from eBay
    Was this of a reputable brand? Since you are going to end up with a Bitsa, it might be wiser to begin from parts of roughly equivalent quality.
    Be seeing you.
    with a decent active circuit, the two settings can have two very unique and very usable tones dialled in quite easily. It works very well with a good preamp.
    Plays like buffer.  =)
    More like duffer when I’m at it
    like a boost ... with a volume drop. 
    Bring back awardable Forum Facepalms.  :3
    Be seeing you.
    like a boost ... with a volume drop. 
    Bring back awardable Forum Facepalms.  :3
    Not at all, I was describing the reverse action. When you switch it's almost a reverse-boost in the sense that the volume drops, but it tightens the sound and gives it a more distinct character. Think of it as a volume drop but mid-boost :)
    All very interesting but of little or no help to the OP.

Would the Dimarzio [Model P] be the better option?
    Yes.
    Be seeing you.
    All very interesting but of little or no help to the OP.

Not at all. The OP mentioned the S1 switch. If he gets it and makes use of it, then the two tones available might be useful. Just because there's a volume drop doesn't mean it's not useful at all. I find it tightens the mids - and I think it's a more useable base for dialling in a good sound using a preamp pedal. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    @fretmeister @ICBM @Funkfingers many thanks for your opinions and knowledgeable comments.

I was unsure whether to retain the S1 if I went with that option as internet research has given the opinion that likely pickups are either 56003/4 or 61276/7 which are considered inferior to post-2008 standard pickups or the current vintage options.

I am presently considering the Dimarzio, although if @Funkfingers would be Will to part with the SDs for £50 or less I might choose that instead.

I play in a cover band which do a variety of styles with my VM Jazz but might introduce a P-style for a change occasionally or for my originals project that I've been toying with for 20 years.

The Westfield is single wood, though I had a ply P bass for years previously that was ply. I only stopped using it when I realised the intonation issue was nothing to do with the neck's wrung truss rod, but the fact the instrument had long scale neck on short scale body.
    if Funkfingers would be Will to part with the SDs for £50 or less I might choose that instead.
    Subtle hint taken. ;)

I shall PM you tomorrow morning.
    Be seeing you.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I gave the Am Standard pickups and pots and the Dimarzio option a miss and went for @Funkfingers Quarterpounders instead.

I will probably get some CTS pots and do the pickup and bridge replacement project at the one time.