Killing Joke cover - Millenium (updated vox)

SnapSnap Frets: 6263
edited May 2019 in Making Music

I found this a bit of a bugger to sing to be honest, but did my best, and think I lost a lung and throat in the process, ha, good fun though cheers for listening

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    Wow, man that sounds great, a bloody good version of a surprisingly difficult song.
    You’re right that the vocals are the weak point, not that there is anything out of tune, and there’s nothing wrong with the sound or tone, it just sounds too pushed. Did you record the backing and then try the vox? I think dropping a tone would’ve helped you a lot.
    That said, still damned good! Enjoyed listening to it a lot! 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263

cheers Bezza. Yep, recorded the backing first. I didn't actually consider dropping it as I thought it would be alright, however it was a real job to sing it. In hig

It is indeed a lot trickier than I first thought, full stop. The rhythm is not as straightforward as I thought, and at first it sounded sloppy but I think I got that not too bad.

edited May 2019

Right @Bezzer I've redone the vocal, reined it back a bit and warmed up this time. Sounds better to me, less forced. See what you think! Cheers

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    @snap yeah man, definitely sounds more at one now. The high A though, I can almost hear your larynx detaching, flipping you off and going down the pub! 

Fair play though, no way on earth I’d have attempted that note with rasp.

Its impressive work, really is!
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Nice job @Snap! I had not heard the original before today, cool song. I agree with @Bezzer; seem like a right C U Next Tuesday to sing. Second version feels like a more polished take definitely, I actually prefer your drum sound to the original, seems to fit the beat better IMO.

Thanks chaps, much appreciated. Yeah, it was hard. I thought it would be easy when I started. Well it wasn't!!

@ICBM - drums, thanks. I've got three tracks on the drums, used a couple of loops and AD2. I wanted a bit of a looser funkier beat than the original. Put them through the percussion channel strip in Sonar, ramped up the saturation too. Wanted that metallic ringing snare sound too.

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Good job Mr Snap. That's very impressive. The vocals in the second work well - it wouldn't sound as good if they were too polished IMHO.

(I don't know if anyone else uses this technique but if I've to sing with distortion I often multi track with  clean and dirty vocals so I can blend them for a bit more diction but still the feeling of grit. That's the theory anyway)

Now come and join us in the regular butchering of classic songs in the cover challenge.

@flying_pie thanks a lot.

That is more or less exactly how I did the vocals actually. The main track you hear is just my ordinary voice. Behind that is a harder sung vocal. Then each track is doubled with one going into a buss with NI's "The Mouth" on it. Then it's all back into the master vocal buss, which has the EQ, delay, reverb and saturation on it. My voice can veer into raspy as it is, so I get a bit of that naturally.

Cover challenge - that's an idea. I don't have a lot of time though, so what I do have, tend to focus on stuff I want to do, so don't know if I'd have the time. I'll see what's up next though, maybe give it a go, always good fun,