Set up my epiphone les paul myself, gothic version.

What's Hot
John420John420 Frets: 3
Hi guys I have just changed the stings on my guitar from old coroded, rusty 10s which came with the guitar, to a new set of dunlop 10-46. It's an epiphone les paul, the black gothic version.

It seemed to really lower the action a hell of a lot just changing the strings, don't really know why that is. So I found it in me to attempt adjusting the truss rod and I got the action much, much better. Next I put it in standard tuning, loosened all the saddles and went through intonation which is now right on the dot.

I'm very new to messing with guitars like this. All the signs up to now to me seem good. If you achieve really good intonation at the end of it all that's supposed to be a good sign, right?. But like I say I'm no pro and am new.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    If the guitar plays and sounds just how you like it, then you have achieved your perfect set up. Which feels much nicer when you've done it yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 470
    If you’re new to setting up guitars there are  lots of videos on the subject on YouTube. As long as you take things carefully great results can be achieved by making a few simple adjustments. Perhaps when you gain more confidence you might be tempted to try slightly more advanced stuff such as fret levelling etc.
  • John420John420 Frets: 3
    Thanks guys.. It plays nice, can't complain whatsover. It makes sese to tune and sort intontation while in your own hands and position etc.

I took my acoustic to a shop to get set up. He's done a great job though. It's a lot better than it was.
    The electric I'm confident it's set up pretty ok to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    Hey guys, back again lol So, after a month the acoustic guitars action heightened again. I've just turned the truss rod 1/4 turn twice, 20 minutes in between each turn. My guess is it takes putting there a few times before it begins to permanently stay there?

I thought I'm not taking a guitar back to a shop that often to get it set up. I daren't really do anything to the truss rod on this guitar but gave it a shot now.

All they do realistically at the shop is a few adjustments that you can do yourself by the seems of it.. Won't it be best to learn to set them up yourself anyway because each person is different? Like how the guy in the shop has them set up to his standard could be different to how it would be best for you?
    Kind of random, but does anybody else just set their guitars up themself on here? If after 5 weeks mine needs adjusting again i'm not taking it to a shop everytime that's for sure. I could be wrong as I'm not that experienced, but seems to me people are too afraid of setting their guitars up themself and assume it should be done by a professional. But to me I honestly think you should learn how to set them up yourself and get it to how it is best for you, or what you prefer as personal preference.

I've adjusted the truss rod on the James Neligan acoustic (clockwise) to redice action and left overnight it is exactly where I feel it is most comfortable. Changing chords with a higher action can be a pain, you need to take your fingers off the board, making chord changes a bit slower.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited June 2019
    I’m finding it odd that you have talked a lot about the string action, but never mentioned adjusting the bridge height. The truss rod’s primary function is not for setting the action, it is for setting the neck relief. Once the correct amount of neck relief is set, the bridge (and nut) height is then used to set the desired action.

Just a heads up, because over-adjusting the truss rod could lead to undesirable results.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3354
    The truss rod and action will work in unison, but to rely on the truss rod alone to adjust string height is relying on one person to do a two persons job, it doe4snt work like that..
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    edited June 2019
    Thanks guys. I do take the bridge and nut in consideration and they're fine, honestly. The guy at the shop sanded it down a bit and it is fine further down at 12th/16th fret. I can't see that changing due to environmental changes like the neck does either.

If it reliefs again on it's own accord I'm not going to tighten it any further though. Looking at the neck it seems fine to me, I can also compare it to a store set up 'tanglewood twcr-o' and to me the neck is pretty much the same as that one.
    These are the guitars of mine. I'll put up 2 pics of the necks of the acoustics close together.

Both of them have a slight up-bow. Both play really nice and I'm happy with them. I know if I tightened the truss rod any further it would pretty much end up with a back-bow. How do they look to you guys? Judging by the pics that is
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited June 2019
    To check neck relief, tune guitar, put capo on first fret, on the bottom E string press string down at 14th fret (on acoustic), measure the gap between the bottom of the E string and top of the 6th fret with a feeler Gage. You should have no less than about .010" (0.25mm) gap. I usually set mine around .012", you may prefer a little more or a little less. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    HHwarner said:
    To check neck relief, tune guitar, put capo on first fret, on the bottom E string press string down at 14th fret (on acoustic), measure the gap between the bottom of the E string and top of the 6th fret with a feeler Gage. You should have no less than about .010" (0.25mm) gap. I usually set mine around .012", you may prefer a little more or a little less. 
    Thanks man, I will need to get a feeler gauge eventually I guess if I want to be more accurate. No rush though I'll get one next time I'm up near a halfords store. My guitars play fine and I'm more than happy with them.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    No feeler gauge needed, use a 10 string.