NAD - Mesa Content!

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
Picked this up today from PMT Portsmouth, thanks to @ICBM for a few buying notes and to @munckee for getting me on the new amp hunt!

It's a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Maverick 1x12 not sure how old it is but it's clearly been well looked after as they stopped production in 2006. 

Original speaker, foot switch, and cover all in tip top condition. 

It's a real joy to play, response like a valve amp should be, breaks up beautifully with a bit of attack and has lots of range. The clean channel has a bit of warmth and edge. Lovely on board reverb. 

I've introduced it to my Tele and they seem to get along, will try the Strat later. 

Mesa Maverick 1 X 12 https://imgur.com/gallery/XLd2rVx
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Great score there, HNAD :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    That really is in nice condition - the blonde tolex shows the marks very easily.

It's definitely a single-coil amp, doesn't like higher-output pickups at all really in my experience. PAF-type humbuckers are OK but anything hotter, not so much.

If it matters you can date it from the serial number sticker, which should be under the rear edge of the chassis I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    ICBM said:
    That really is in nice condition - the blonde tolex shows the marks very easily.

It's definitely a single-coil amp, doesn't like higher-output pickups at all really in my experience. PAF-type humbuckers are OK but anything hotter, not so much.

If it matters you can date it from the serial number sticker, which should be under the rear edge of the chassis I think.
    I gave it a wipe down with Wonder Wipes after I'd taken the photos and the mark came off the Tolex. I cleaned out the indented screw holes on the top, they work really well for pick holders!

Have not had a chance to play the Strat through it yet but looking forward to that and also going to unbox my Fender Esprit and see how it takes to it. 

I'll check for the serial number, there is a code on the speaker that ends /03 which would be a good bet and is also a y.o.b. for Fuengi Jr.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    Looks great, I will add earplugs to the list for Saturday! : )
    munckee said:
    Looks great, I will add earplugs to the list for Saturday! : )
    It actually breaks up earlier than my Yerasov! 
    Fuengi said:

Even with the output level and the clean channel master up full? It should be *really* loud and clean like that... really stupidly loud.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Fuengi said:

Even with the output level and the clean channel master up full? It should be *really* loud and clean like that... really stupidly loud.
    On the clean channel with everything at max it is still clean, and yes, very loud! The drive channel adds crunch nicely and is very usable even at home volumes. The Yerasov really has to be driven into that saturated break up and only at high volume.

Found the serial number which was where you said it would be, it is MV-00269 which does not align with the Mesa website numbering for the Maverick - they all start with MAV-. I'm wondering if the 1x12 used a different serial numbering.

Looking at it I'd say around 2003 (as possibly indicated on the speaker) and from what I understand it has only been used at home. I wonder if the valves have ever been changed, is this realistic for a 15-ish year old amp?
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 185
    Ahhhh I miss my Maverick, such an awesome recording amp..brutal loud for 35 watt.. enjoy! 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Mmmm - nice spec. I always said (going back from the 1980s) one day I would have a Mesa (or Boogie) but apart from box ticking, I have plenty good sounds to be getting on with currently. One day though.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Looking at it I'd say around 2003 (as possibly indicated on the speaker) and from what I understand it has only been used at home. I wonder if the valves have ever been changed, is this realistic for a 15-ish year old amp?
    Yes. This amp does run them hot, but if it hasn’t been used that much it’s not a problem (yet!).

I thought the serial numbers started with a year number, but obviously not on these.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I had a 2x12 version of this amp. I thought it was great. The clean tones were absolutely fantastic. The only reason I sold it was it was it's weight. Enjoy!
    I speculatively emailed Mesa with the Serial Number and asked if they knew when it was made. They just came back to me and said it was made in '94 / '95. Nearly ten years older than my guess!
    You’ll be able to date it accurately from the component codes, if you want. Have a look at the transformers, there should be some 6 or 7 figure codes, three digits then a hyphen and three or four digits.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Nice. Mesa's are best  ;)

http://imgur.com/gallery/MjqL3ut
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    @ICBM how does the clean sound of the Maverick compare with the clean of the Trem-O-Verb? The latter was one of the very nicest clean amps I’ve ever used and it was only the combo’s extreme weight that forced me to part with it. That same clean sound in a 1x12 would be very appealing.
    Jimbro66 said:
    @ICBM how does the clean sound of the Maverick compare with the clean of the Trem-O-Verb? The latter was one of the very nicest clean amps I’ve ever used and it was only the combo’s extreme weight that forced me to part with it. That same clean sound in a 1x12 would be very appealing.
    It's completely different despite being also called a 'Dual Rectifier series'. Much more Fendery/Voxy - more 'chime' than that effortless massive power of the Trem-o-verb. But you can probably get something similar enough from it in actual use - I always found it easy to get a great clean sound, it was the dirty channel I didn't quite get on with, it was great when it was just right, but very touchy and guitar-sensitive. It doesn't really like humbuckers, which wasn't ideal as I was mostly using a PRS at the time.

edited May 2019
    I've been exclusively playing the Strat through it this week, it sounds great.

@munckee played my Fender Esprit through it last weekend and it definitely had a sparkle, both in single coil and humbucking mode. I've got some boarding to put up in the studio, once I've done that I'll have the Esprit up there the whole time so will try it out myself.

The Mesa has a delightful bloom on single notes and  a clean chime with chords. Pretty much just used the clean channel and on board reverb this week. The response is so good you don't need effects just variation of string attack and dynamics.

Absolutely delighted with it. 
    ICBM said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    It's completely different despite being also called a 'Dual Rectifier series'. Much more Fendery/Voxy - more 'chime' than that effortless massive power of the Trem-o-verb. But you can probably get something similar enough from it in actual use - I always found it easy to get a great clean sound, it was the dirty channel I didn't quite get on with, it was great when it was just right, but very touchy and guitar-sensitive. It doesn't really like humbuckers, which wasn't ideal as I was mostly using a PRS at the time.
    Thanks for that info ICBM. The thing about the Trem-o-Verb was it not only sounded fantastic with my various Tele configurations but just as good with the 335. A hard act to follow.

Anyway, HNAD @Fuengi. It looks a little beauty :)
    Jimbro66 said:
    ICBM said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Thanks for that info ICBM. The thing about the Trem-o-Verb was it not only sounded fantastic with my various Tele configurations but just as good with the 335. A hard act to follow.

Thanks, if you're ever in the vicinity you would be welcome to come have a try. 
    Fuengi said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    ICBM said:
    Jimbro66 said:

Thanks, if you're ever in the vicinity you would be welcome to come have a try. 
    Ah thanks. I might well take you up on that but the way things change hands on this forum I’d better be quick :D