How do Fylde guitars compare to Lowdens and Avalons?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 5353
I understand the bracing patterns are related

How would a Fylde compare to these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 4773
    From the ones I've tried, the Lowdens and Avalons have sounded better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 1773
    I'd agree as well. I've played a few Fylde guitars and they never really did anything for me, I'd say they were different to Lowden's in particular - they're a type of guitar that IMO are unique in voice.
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 89
    I've owned 3 or so of each.

For me, Lowden / Avalon every time.

Sonically they're pretty different (lots of overtones from Lowden, Fylde more fundamental and "woody", less string). Not at all similar IMHO.

Both have been around a long time but Fylde have had variable quality control over the decades - some I've played have been great, some have been complete dogs: An 80s Falstaff that I had would have made better wardrobe than guitar, it was so overbuilt. 

In contrast, Lowden / Avalon are extremely consistent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 5353
    thanks

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 4790
    I have to disagree... its been some years, but every Fylde I played was superb.

I went on to buy a couple of John Hullahs, who used to work for Fylde...

The old one were superb hand made guitars
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 1638
    Whilst I cannot comment on the guitars, I have played a few Fylde Bouzoukis and each has been exceptional.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 1083
    My Fylde Alchemist is just awesome, had it from new 15 years ago. I had an Orsini befor and that was great too ergo I’m a Fylde fan! It is sound is very detailed and rewarding, but would add it’s normally the feel given by the zero fret which puts people off. I’ve played Lowdens which are easier to play but never as rewarding as my Fylde.
    i’m thinking about retiring the Alchemist and the shopping list includes Lowden or Moon or a vintage slope shoulder country and western as soon as I get the owner drunk enough to sell it!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk