The Stone Roses - Released 30 years ago today

What's Hot
the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
The most important album in my life, and the reason I play guitar at all was released 30 years ago today. 

Really doesn’t seem that long ago

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    Still an exceptional album with great playing and funky as hell with a bunch of ambient thrown in for good measure. It shouldn't work, but it does.

I still love it, in its original form without "Fools Gold" jammed on the end of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I had never heard of them until a few weeks after it came out, a mate bought the vinyl and 6 of us sat in his lounge and played it repeatedly and music was never the same again for me.  I am the resurrection remains my favourite piece of guitar music.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    Johnny Marr and John Squire between them just built the foundations of all the music I love.

It's easy to forget how good the best tracks on this album are.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    Prefer Second Coming myself....
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    TheMarlin said:
    Ooooh... controversial ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    TheMarlin said:
    Ooooh... controversial ;)
    I went to this achingly-cool-rich-kid house party in a mansion just outside Chester in the mid-90s and someone put Second Coming on, played Breaking Into Heaven just until the ambient, jungle-like noses stopped and then switched to a different album altogether. Magical. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    TheMarlin said:
    Ooooh... wrong ;)
    Fixed that for you. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    Comparing the two is almost impossible, second coming is much more professionally produced and has what sounds to my ears like more complex playing on - however the impact of the first album plus the raw abililty of the band and the catchiness of the songs places it higher for me.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    TheMarlin said:
    I's assuming you're referring to the  "Shaun of the Dead" scene in the back garden...

Ed: The Stone Roses?
    Shaun: No.
    Ed: Second Coming!?
    Shaun: I like it.

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    TheMarlin said:
    I think “Second Coming” is a great album and underrated you many.

I remember the first time I heard “The Stone Roses”, I wasn’t expecting much but was blown away - had a mate that worked in HMV at the time, rang him immediately to ask him to get me a copy (using his staff discount obviously!!).

30 years later (I can’t believe it’s that long) it’s still up there in my top 5 albums of all time, “Second Coming” doesn’t make my top 10!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

Great album.  I think John Leckie deserves a mention, because it is a s much a product of the excellent production as the songs and playing.  The production is great as you can't really hear it so much, but you can hear the music so well.

The 2nd coming is a good album as well, less coherent as a collection of music, dirtier and a bit more self indulgent, but some good songs and riffs.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Second Coming for me as well. I skip a lot of the debut album if I have it on in the car. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Second Coming: half fabulous, half dogshit. 

That and Be Here Now represent exactly what happens when too much hype and too much money has crossed paths with too much cocaine. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    I was around at the time but missed it due to being obsessed with Led Zeppelin. A mate got me into them around the time of "One Love" by us listening to all his 12" singles with their magnificent b sides. Standing Here and Mersey Paradise are as good as anything on the first album. I got a capo soon after.

I very much like Second Coming but it's not in the same league lads.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    I was around too but there was far too much exciting metal going on to pay attention to this. 
    Reverend said:
    I was around too but there was far too much exciting metal going on to pay attention to this. 
    Horses for courses innit?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    I still play stuff from the debut album now, was just listening to Made of Stone before I saw this thread. Just a brilliant album all round can't believe it's been 30 years 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    TheMarlin said:
    I's assuming you're referring to the  "Shaun of the Dead" scene in the back garden...

Ed: The Stone Roses?
    Shaun: No.
    Ed: Second Coming!?
    Shaun: I like it.

I do indeed love that film, but i genuinely prefer the second album. Better production, better guitar playing, more variety and depth than the first album. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love the first album, but it gets on my nerves after a while, production is too gloopy. Plus, I’ve just heard it to much, reached saturation point with it. 

I reacquainted myself with Second Coming about five years ago, and improbably listen to it about once A month now.  Great album.  Intros w@nk on a bit though...  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    A band I have never knowingly heard. I couldn't name one song of theirs. My perception of them was that they wouldn't interest me. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    axisus said:
    A band I have never knowingly heard. I couldn't name one song of theirs. My perception of them was that they wouldn't interest me. 
    And yet you came on a thread all about them just to say that. I’ve never understood this sort of post. If there’s a band that I feel like that about I might, maybe, read the thread about them but I would ever feel the need to post because it would bring absolutely nothing to the conversation. 

FWIW, I like most of the Second Coming but it’s just not got the same appeal to me. It’s all a bit too obvious in my opinion whereas I really enjoy the subtlety of the first album. I think the guitar playing on the first album is far more interesting than on the Second Coming. The lyrical content is definitely better too. Then there’s the slight unfinished feel to the Second Coming; Daybreak in particular sounding like an unfinished jam (I actually quite like it but look forward to hearing the finished article someday). 

Less said about the godawful Straight to the Man the better. 

This is all just my opinion though obviously and I would never force that on anyone else. For me though, they hit their peak about August 89
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom