Need help identifying underlying chords

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
I have a terrible ear for music. I've been wrestling with this 9 minute piece of music, and I've got start/middle/end mostly sussed (I think!) but I am having trouble with the underlying synth chords of this post-intro section. It's 1.30 long. Chords thus far have been based around Fm Eb Ab Bbm C#

So, can anyone identify the chords? there aren't that many, and it's all pretty slow and lingering. I'm just frying my brain and getting nowhere!

Any idea what key it is in?

Link to sound file:

https://soundcloud.com/user-847457672/pend

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited May 2019
    It’s really lovely and slightly ambiguous - did you write and perform it? It’s gorgeous. 

It starts in F minor, then it has a modulation to Bb minor. Even though the predominant note you’re playing is the C, the 5th of F minor or the 2 of Bb minor, home still sits on F minor / Bb minor. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3037
    Did you record it on the beach?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Not me guys!!!!!! It's a section of my favourite track from my favourite band, Pendragon - although it is their old studio track, the live versions being much better.

Any more thoughts on background chords? 

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4170
    Mainly F minor / C major / C diminished and some nogginsing around the C dim.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Fm section:

Fm7
    C (1st inv)
    F#dim (except it’s got a major 3rd)
    Fsus4 ... F

Bbm section(s):

Bbm
    C7 (3rd inv)
    Ebm6 (1st inv) - or Gb, both are possible
    F7

(Then a few chords switching between F and Gb (or Ebm 1st inv), but basically hanging around on that F7, then:

Bbm
    C7
    Gb
    F7 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Many thanks, I'll give it a whirl
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Not me guys!!!!!! It's a section of my favourite track from my favourite band, Pendragon - although it is their old studio track, the live versions being much better.

Nowt to do with owt but that's my old mate Fudge on drums, we were in first bands together rehearsing in a caravan. Still in touch. His current band's album has another old mate of ours H on guitar, check out the solo in this about 3 mins in

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom