Thinking of buying an old radiogram have I done mad?

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
Looking at some on local gumtree, I love the retro looks but wonder about the turntable, most seem to have the old flip stylus. Would it be difficult to fit a stereo cartridge? Then there's the caps etc....potential money pit? I wouldn't be looking at more than £50 on the initial outlay. I remember them sounding wonderful as a child.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    If you have a decent record collection, then I wouldn't play them on a radiogram.  More like plough them on a radiogram !  If you have James Last #17 and Sing-a-long-a-Max (Bygraves) then go ahead and enjoy.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    You could drop in a modern turntable - but yeah don't play your records on the autochanger!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Yeah I’ve got a couple of turntables so definitely doable.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739

Love that word, radiogram.  We inherited a huge old thing like a sideboard from my grandfather, I used to listen to the Friday Rock Show on it.

But we never used the turntable bit, we had one of these:

Image result for ear collaro record player

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Potential money pit, but you might be lucky...

Or just play a modern turntable through a guitar amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    I’ve got rid of loads of radios and radio grams ...you can pick them up easily for £50 and under ...they can be cumbersome things, valves cause problems, electronics can be shot...unless your keen they’re a bit of a pain 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    I kinda wish my folks hadn't ditched theirs. It was ace, Garrard turntable, played 78s, mahoosive beast of a thing where you opened the doors at each end to expose the speakers, and there was storage for records as well as the radio behind the drop-down front, and access to the turntable from the top.
  • Arms & needles on those things are like pitchforks. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    We had this massive Pye radiogram when I was a kid. I can still remember the smell of it as it warmed up. I can also remember the smell of it as it burnt out and died.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom